What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mighty pennies v the tigpies

WestyLife

First Grade
I said earlier May wouldn't be in my top 17 but that would involve moving guys that won't get moved.

May is a scapegoat because people don't like him. He was far from good but wasn't the worst.

As for Crichton he is going to be a star. Might even play Origin if Freddy stops picking fullbacks in centre

Don't do that. Don't pretend May's personal stuff is clouding people's judgement to destract from honest opinions on his form. May has plodded all year and got found out last night by not being up to the pace of first grade.

The Realist

Juniors
Ivan isn't a very good coach and didn't change the game plan enough last night

This is the way I see it as well. Our success is coming on the back of an absolutely stacked roster that has great cultural cohesion.

This won't last forever. Players will leave for better offers and there will be falling out between players that will disrupt the 'brotherhood' bonds. In fact it is already starting to happen come 2022.

Systems Clubs like the Storm and Roosters can simply find the right cogs to replace the missing/lost/broken ones and the machine keeps working as they are highly professional clubs with excellent coaches.

Despite my hopes that he'd become that kind of coach, I don't think Ivan is.

For us to become a Dynasty we need the production line to keep churning top quality plus hope/pray that they fit into the squad nicely.

The Realist

Juniors
Fogot about him. Needed to be better as well. Service was average.

Before the game I was commenting to a friend that we don't necessarily lose much with Api gone as Kenny is a capable replacement. I was wrong. He was poor. That blind side raid that led to the Liddle try was completely the wrong play. Add to that his slow service, forward pass and lack of running mean't we were slow right from the completed PTB.

chrisD

Coach
We gave Crichton the ball from the scrums so he can go 1 on 1 in some space, I think it was against Doueihi who isn't quick, and the results were just comical.

Triple M devoted about half the time they spent talking about Penrith's game to Burton. They started by making excuses for him, then they all agreed about how hard he tried and then finished by stating how really he was actually magnificent. This will come back around, if he doesn't go on to become the next Fitler the media and fans are going to rip him to shreds worse than Cartwright or Milford.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Kenny was alright, he had one mad stuff up but other than that he was pretty good. One thing he didn’t do was run from dummy half. The Panthers problem last night was they got bashed in the middle, and went wide before going forward in the attacking half. They really, really missed Cleary, his composure for a young bloke is really important to that side

Black Diamond

Juniors
Thought it was interesting that James Roberts smacks Kiks in the head while he is on the ground after the Laurie incident and yet Edwards gets charged for his part in the melee. Meanwhile Jennings gets charged also for the tap on Laurie and all Roberts cops is wrap over the knuckles from ref for being a naughty boy.

Last edited:

The Realist

Juniors
Thought it was interesting that James Roberts smacks Kiks in the head while he ia on the ground after the Laurie incident and yet Edwards gets charged for his part in the melee. Meanwhile Jennings gets charged also for the tap on Laurie and all Roberts cops is wrap over the knuckles from ref for being a naughty boy.

Absolutely incredible that Roberts didn't get set off.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Thought it was interesting that James Roberts smacks Kiks in the head while he is on the ground after the Laurie incident and yet Edwards gets charged for his part in the melee. Meanwhile Jennings gets charged also for the tap on Laurie and all Roberts cops is wrap over the knuckles from ref for being a naughty boy.

I was shocked that Robert's wasn't binned he was the dickhead that started it. That was such a hometown decision by the ref.

Fangs

Coach
With Burton, Critter, Capewell in the side we don't need a utility

There is some truth in this. I think we still need someone however. HIA rules make utility players a hot commodity.

Like Kikau I'll give him a chance to improve. May at his best was very handy for us last year.

DinkyDi

Juniors
This is the way I see it as well. Our success is coming on the back of an absolutely stacked roster that has great cultural cohesion.

This won't last forever. Players will leave for better offers and there will be falling out between players that will disrupt the 'brotherhood' bonds. In fact it is already starting to happen come 2022.

Systems Clubs like the Storm and Roosters can simply find the right cogs to replace the missing/lost/broken ones and the machine keeps working as they are highly professional clubs with excellent coaches.

For us to become a Dynasty we need the production line to keep churning top quality plus hope/pray that they fit into the squad nicely.
Wow, talk about harsh, and unjust? Only one player, and I repeat one player, will be leaving at seasons end that we wanted to keep. Talk about dramatic.

Good post.

Next man up” = “on the bus” public relations rubbish Ivan occasionally issues when he’s in spin mode.

Perhaps the lesson is that the depth just isn’t there, the future is a bit overcast.

But I don’t blame last nights Panther players as a team.

They fought bravely, but it was men against boys across the park.

I was just surprised some of your non origin excellence were so flat. No coaching in sight.

murraymob

Coach
Good post.

Next man up” = “on the bus” public relations rubbish Ivan occasionally issues when he’s in spin mode.

Perhaps the lesson is that the depth just isn’t there, the future is a bit overcast.

I was just surprised some of your non origin excellence were so flat. No coaching in sight.
I take it silverdale you never actually watched the match 8 players out.Not just 8 but in the key positions our depth is great .we will be there at the end of the season
Depth is not meant to fill a team only add to it .your team celebrated as if winning a grand final .Next week you play a full strength parra see how you go then

DinkyDi

Juniors
Good post.

I've said this before, and I shall say this again, we were undermanned, if we had all of our players, our winning streak would have continued. Your gloating is annoying.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Good post.

The depth is there. Not many clubs have to replace 8 players in one game, normally it would be a lot less than 8 in one go. Surely even you can see that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't do that. Don't pretend May's personal stuff is clouding people's judgement to destract from honest opinions on his form. May has plodded all year and got found out last night by not being up to the pace of first grade.

forget it was May

44 tackles. 0 missed. 2 off loads. 9 runs for 50 metres is a decent output.

Sure the metres are low but compare to the props

Leinu 35m. 24 tackles 3 missed
Hopgood 53m 24 tackles. 1 missed
Smith 52m 14 tackles.

If that was any other player. Say playing at lock and you would say it is a decent performance but because it is May he gets bagged

franklin2323

Immortal
Fogot about him. Needed to be better as well. Service was average.

Poor service aside 0 kicks. 1 run that run led to a Burton break. Yet we didn't see it again.

After that break we had a 2 man overlap on the right and he goes left.

Did the same thing for the Liddle try.

Not to mention the amount of poor passes.

It was a team wide poor performance

franklin2323

Immortal

We had a few like for like guys to slot in. Like May in for Yeo etc. Storm, Roosters etc would back the player in the system. Last night they tried to be different and it showed