What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Jaydn Su’A.

St Tangles

Bench
Recruitment has been poor for the last decade or so but don't be that guy who is going to death ride every new signing the club makes, mate. Blind Freddy can see the improvement in recruitment since Hook took over.

It's easy from where you sit to whinge about a new signing with the benefit of hindsight but the fact you're not willing to put names forward of the class players you mentioned shows its all hot air if you ask me.
I agree our recruitment has improved and with 1 or 2 more intelligent signings we will improve further.

Is it perfect no but it's getting better under Marry we would of paid way over for TPJ.

Just remember some posters on here are not worth the back and forth.
You will lose IQ points reading the crap they post as fact.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
I agree our recruitment has improved and with 1 or 2 more intelligent signings we will improve further.

Is it perfect no but it's getting better under Marry we would of paid way over for TPJ.

Some posters put up half arsed dribble in their opinions and post it as fact. They then get upset, personal and can't cop it in return, not worth the back and forth.

And yet here you go again, well, when you're not busy following your adversaries around the forum tagging their posts with the Laughing emoji like some inadequate ninja. That's pathetic mate but not out of character I suppose.

St Tangles

Bench
And yet here you go again, well, when you're not busy following your adversaries around the forum tagging their posts with the Laughing emoji like some inadequate ninja. That's pathetic mate but not out of character I suppose.

Adversary don't overrate yourself
But that wouldn't be out of character for a forum hero like you
I just thought I'd read your replies to others to see if I had you wrong or if I had over reacted
You met my expectations or lack there of
Won't make that mistake again
I await your next unintelligible rant

be55

Juniors
Adversary don't overrate yourself
But that wouldn't be out of character for a forum hero like you
I just thought I'd read your replies to others to see if I had you wrong or if I had over reacted
You met my expectations or lack there of
Won't make that mistake again
I await your next unintelligible rant
You guys are starting to make Muz and Old Timer look like a couple of amateurs

VodkaSaint

Juniors
I questioned the worth of the signings of Norman ( I spat the dummy on that one ), Burns, Ellis, Beale and Poasa and I've been pretty much vindicated on all of them. Su'a is just another one of these type of signings, the evidence is staring you all in the face. We just keep signing these mediocre ( or worse ) players and where has it got us ? I've tried to be positive about McCullough, Alvaro and now Molo but even that's a risky signing. But I can't please everyone.
I asked in another post about Su'a - " What are his good points ? What makes him the player we just had to buy ? and no-one can post any sensible or meaningful replies, instead just jump on me for not having a hard on for the guy. Myself and others suggested going after some real quality players, class players and I just see the usual seige mentality replies " we can't attract that type of player " " I don't want to pay overs for that guy " " we'll get this guy cheap " " doesn't cost us the Earth " etc. Well guess what, you get what you pay for - the Dragons roster is living proof of that. You don't want to spend money on quality but you're happy to have plenty tied up in players who are barely first grade material. If you haven't looked at our squad lately jump on to our website and have a look at our team, forwards in particular. Yeah, see - how the fk did that happen.
Anyway, we've signed him and I'll go on backing the team and trying to stay positive ( which I do in most cases ).
Hook has done an amazing job to get this roster into the top 8 since the early rounds and keep it there against all expectations so I'm not writing off anything yet, just wish we'd spend our money more wisely. I'm allowed to have an opinion and at least I back it up with a reasoned argument and don't just post barely decipherable drivel like some on here.
Maybe and Sadly this is all we can attract to our miserable club thanks to our greedy boys club and the state they have left it into .

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
When I look at those 4 signings they havent been good have they !

Definite SuA an upgrade on those guys

Burns Im happy to give some time to settle and actually play 2nd row rather than a centre stop gap

Ellis waste space, Ford very disappointing and no progress in over 18m, Alvaro a waste time to date very disappointing.

I said no to Klemmer
But In retrospect Id rather amalgamate Ellis Ford and Alvaro and get Klemmer !!!
Klemmer just doesn't seem to have it anymore not sure who else is out there but must be someone.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I think Young would be playing closer to 110kg than 100kg in today’s game, with the professional trainers and health and nutrition experts bulking him up.
No doubt jOnesy! Also, Young was inline with other prop’s size of his era: Coveney, Olling; Fitzgerald, Ayliffe, Kelly, Morris, Harvey, Tunks, etc… Imo, the main thing then was that it was a game of endurance and much as skill and strength; today, while it’s faster it’s more power based due to the professional training and predominately the use of the interchange, hence bigger size forwards playing more one dimensional type roles in shorter stints.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I questioned the worth of the signings of Norman ( I spat the dummy on that one ), Burns, Ellis, Beale and Poasa and I've been pretty much vindicated on all of them. Su'a is just another one of these type of signings, the evidence is staring you all in the face. We just keep signing these mediocre ( or worse ) players and where has it got us ? I've tried to be positive about McCullough, Alvaro and now Molo but even that's a risky signing. But I can't please everyone.
I asked in another post about Su'a - " What are his good points ? What makes him the player we just had to buy ? and no-one can post any sensible or meaningful replies, instead just jump on me for not having a hard on for the guy. Myself and others suggested going after some real quality players, class players and I just see the usual seige mentality replies " we can't attract that type of player " " I don't want to pay overs for that guy " " we'll get this guy cheap " " doesn't cost us the Earth " etc. Well guess what, you get what you pay for - the Dragons roster is living proof of that. You don't want to spend money on quality but you're happy to have plenty tied up in players who are barely first grade material. If you haven't looked at our squad lately jump on to our website and have a look at our team, forwards in particular. Yeah, see - how the fk did that happen.
Anyway, we've signed him and I'll go on backing the team and trying to stay positive ( which I do in most cases ).
Hook has done an amazing job to get this roster into the top 8 since the early rounds and keep it there against all expectations so I'm not writing off anything yet, just wish we'd spend our money more wisely. I'm allowed to have an opinion and at least I back it up with a reasoned argument and don't just post barely decipherable drivel like some on here.
I've restrained myself from joining in on this debate until now because I am trying and straining to remain positive about our recruitment and retention moving forward- but gee it's hard. I've already banged on ad infinitum about our Moneyball approach- ie buying players we believe are "good value" and the good value seems to be measured by how much clubs are prepared to pay on their freight- not by what I consider to be good value-ie they have skills unexploited by their previous club and we going to unlock those skills and are they going to lift us into top 4 contention. That approach delivered us gems like Norman, Alvaro and No 1 club grub and hypocrite (Hook is like a father to me) McGuire.

Advocates of Moneyball would argue that McCullough and Bird have been successes- I would argue that early on that may have been the case but now we are seeing why the Broncos let them go- in the case of Bird, he doesn't have the physique or skill set to lock down any one position- too slow and doesn't have a kicking game for the backs, too small for the forwards- McCullough, while brave and tough has been exposed as not an 80 minute player (as some thought), no running game, little imagination in attack and slow to react- particularly in marker goal line defence.
The other argument that some posters pose is that if we copy the Bulldogs and bring in a superstar like Addo Carr we are going to lose one of our promising backline juniors. I would argue that, firstly, in the case of some of these juniors (eg the Faingais) we have seen so little of them at NRL level that we can't be anywhere near sure that they are going to make it. Secondly, we have been shedding players backline players (Esi-Esau, Pereira, Wiliame), Rav is off suspended more than he plays, as already stated Bird is too slow and Ramsey is yet to fully convince. We have no depth and desperately need quality outside back recruits.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
If anyone needs convincing Su’A is not a good buy should be watching the Rabbits v Warriors game. Just the running edge forward we need to take the pressure off Sims.
Agreed SAP, plus I thought Molo did pretty well last night as well. He's a real "goer". We need another BIG prop but I reckon that will get sorted out.

For mine it is the 2023 season that is crucial in terms of recruitment with a range of players coming off contract at the end of 2022. Don't over-spend now given the salary cap window that opens for us for 2023.

Anyone who thought the absolute horror of McGregor years would be washed away with a standard garden hose is well off the mark. It will take a few years. Stay the course. Slowly, slowly.

kit66

Bench
If anyone needs convincing Su’A is not a good buy should be watching the Rabbits v Warriors game. Just the running edge forward we need to take the pressure off Sims.

Very impressive. He must be on a high after signing his new contract, he's rarely got within cooee of 200 running mtrs before. If he plays even close to that every week for us I'll be happy. I'm pretty sure that's his first double as well. Good on him. Might be a good omen for a win against the Titans tomorrow.

Dragsters

First Grade
Su'A continues to develop.

He has shown he has a big motor and can really turn in on.

The litmus test, as with all back rowers is doing it week in, week out.

Tonight showed he has the skills to with the motor, that line he ran for his first try tonight was sublime.

More of that next season please Jayden!

mickeylane

Bench
Georg
Agreed SAP, plus I thought Molo did pretty well last night as well. He's a real "goer". We need another BIG prop but I reckon that will get sorted out.

For mine it is the 2023 season that is crucial in terms of recruitment with a range of players coming off contract at the end of 2022. Don't over-spend now given the salary cap window that opens for us for 2023.

Anyone who thought the absolute horror of McGregor years would be washed away with a standard garden hose is well off the mark. It will take a few years. Stay the course. Slowly, slowly.
George burgess coming