What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
What attributes does he have as an edge? Can't ball play, Offload, doesn't have footwork. Martin is a straight up hard running middle
The big second rower on the right edge runs hard at the half gets a quick play the ball Cleary has a hand in a try on the next play. Like how much does our right edge second rower being skilful really matter? 8/10 tries they've scored in the last 2 years is just Cleary double pumping to put them over untouched. All we need is a big body, hard to tackle who will defend well and run hard when the half isolated to set up the next play.

What I'd be worried about is how the refs/match review panel are being told to come are coming down on players hitting play makers very close to simultaneous as they pass. Tariq's not a player who I think will go well if that keeps getting worse. Has to be a solid reliable type player. If he's in form he's playing aggressive and physical so I think he runs the risk of getting suspended fairly often with the way the NRL sees the game nowadays and in that case he's not worth.

Last edited:

TheRiff

Juniors
He is quite quick which I nice out wide but that's about it

He is but
The big second rower on the right edge runs hard at the half gets a quick play the ball Cleary has a hand in a try on the next play. Like how much does our right edge second rower being skilful really matter? 8/10 tries they've scored in the last 2 years is just Cleary double pumping to put them over untouched. All we need is a big body, hard to tackle who will defend well and run hard when the half isolated to set up the next play.

What I'd be worried about is how the refs/match review panel are being told to come are coming down on players hitting play makers very close to simultaneous as they pass. Tariq's not a player who I think will go well if that keeps getting worse. Has to be a solid reliable type player. If he's in form he's playing aggressive and physical so I think he runs the risk of getting suspended fairly often with the way the NRL sees the game nowadays and in that case he's not worth.

I just want a 2nd rower that can draw and pass, Maybe put the odd kick in. Martin's attributes are best suited elsewhere

What attributes does he have as an edge? Can't ball play, Offload, doesn't have footwork. Martin is a straight up hard running middle
He is an excellent line runner who hits it hard, funds the crease and gets a quick play the ball. He is best as a 3rd/4th tackle option near mid field that out is on the front foot for later plays.

Definitely not a ball player but few back rowers are.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
He is an excellent line runner who hits it hard, funds the crease and gets a quick play the ball. He is best as a 3rd/4th tackle option near mid field that out is on the front foot for later plays.

Is a surprising kick target too.

I actually don't mind his footwork either - he doesn't have a step per se, but he can swerve and adjust his line while the ball is in flight.

The Realist

Juniors
Martin is a far better edge forward than a middle. As a middle is is merely above average - but no where near Rep quality. As an edge he is very good.

He is quick, has good footwork and the ability to break tackles and more than just the odd line break at speed. He also has a habit of terrorising opposing halves. As others have mentioned he is also good in the air. These are attributes that are mostly wasted doing Pig work in the middle.

My only problem with him on the edge is that sometimes he has his blinders on and either ignores or doesn't see opportunities. In the GF on our last play if he had passed to Naden on his outside who knows what might have been? He also butchered a try out wide against the Eels. His instinct seems to be to go infield. But then again a few or so ago I have seen him throw a 15+ metre cut out pass that led to a line break.

Girds89

Bench
Worth seeing if the peach wants to come back for 2 seasons at 200k a year?

Hes not getting much interest. Could be a cheap pick up.

Given we might be a tad light on in the backrow next year it would be an ok signing at a cheap price.

Always lived the peach and whikst hes best days are behind him i think hed still have a fair bit to offer playing behind a dominat side..

If we could get him for 200 for a year with an option for a 2nd it might be enough to entince him to come back and win a comp before retiring.

Hes remanined largely serious injury free so body should be in good shape and he hasnt lost to much speed.

Worth seeing if the peach wants to come back for 2 seasons at 200k a year?

Hes not getting much interest. Could be a cheap pick up.

Given we might be a tad light on in the backrow next year it would be an ok signing at a cheap price.

Always lived the peach and whikst hes best days are behind him i think hed still have a fair bit to offer playing behind a dominat side..

If we could get him for 200 for a year with an option for a 2nd it might be enough to entince him to come back and win a comp before retiring.

Hes remanined largely serious injury free so body should be in good shape and he hasnt lost to much speed.
Yes. Big upgrade on Tyrone from my perspective.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Tyreece Tonga comes from Western Sydney area. Could be a former Penrith Junior.
Looks like we may have some good front rowers coming through.
He caught my eye early on this season, perhaps it was just his sheer size but he looked very athletic as well. I hope he is still with us, because he didn’t appear to feature after about Round 9 or so but he really looked to be something worth persevering with.

TheRiff

Juniors

He doesn't have to be a ball player just need to be able to draw and pass, Which he fails to do. Our right has no attack whatsoever, No surprise that is Martin's edge.

Girds89

Bench
I'd go Peach in a heartbeat.

Perfect utility. Just not a great starter.
He loved the panthers too.

He fit in well here and blokes like edwards, yeo, cleary, fish have all played with him before.

Itd have to be cheap enough as we obviously have limited room in the cap but id been keen.

He always gave his all for penrith and i loved him for that.

I think a 2 year deal is enough time for mavrick geyer to come through as well.

It will allow geyer to play cup next year and than maybe get 4 or 5 nrl games in 2023 before peach retires than from 2024 hell be good to go hopefully if the development goes to plan and he kicks on.

TheRiff

Juniors
Its capewells

Replaced by Martin when he comes on, Tago is a much better option for Right 2nd rower then Martin.

I noticed you time stamp things from games, With a minute to go in the Roosters game Taylan May was unmarked. Martin took the tackle, Thankfully it didn't cost us but there are a few examples of this across the year.

Kilkenny

Coach
Have the Titans actually said no to Tyrone Peachy or are they simply allowing him to explore his options.

I don’t think he is going to pick up a contract in the NRL near what he is currently on but still likely someone a Sydney based club could offer much more than we could offer him. He will have to take a pay cut but still either his current club or someone I’m sure will pick him up for around the $350k mark which is still a bargain in the current climate. Returning to the Panthers maybe the fairytale but is highly unlikely.

Girds89

Bench
Replaced by Martin when he comes on, Tago is a much better option for Right 2nd rower then Martin.

I noticed you time stamp things from games, With a minute to go in the Roosters game Taylan May was unmarked. Martin took the tackle, Thankfully it didn't cost us but there are a few examples of this across the year.
He was picked at 2nd row for origin.

Not all 2md rowers need to be able to do fancy stuff. Some times you just need a great hole running 2md rower.

Look at cordner. Australia and nsw star only just retired. He never had a passing game or step..he was extremley similar mould to martin..

Chooks never moved him. He was just a great hole running edge backrower that terrorised halfs.

We have, fish, leota, spencer, hopgood, eiso, sorensen, smith who can all play middle next year.

On an edge we have kikau martin and tago but i think tago might take burtons spot. So kiks and martin.

The depth at 2nd row in nsw cup isnt that strong and mavrick geyer and other flegg players are 2 or 3 years away.

Id be shocked if he isnt just a straight swap on the right next year for capes and i think he will play big mins. 65+ a week.

Kilkenny

Coach

Im not sure about that call, one is a SOO back rower and the other is still finding his feet in the NRL and still probably a better centre than back rower at this stage of his development.

TheRiff

Juniors
Did Martin actually play backrow in SOO though? I just mean Tago's build and style of play. I am sure a tall, Rangy backrower with an offload or footwork will become available. Until that stage though, We can only mention who we have now

Original Name

Juniors
Blade pretty much said we can only afford really cheap buys. Dragons being willing to pay some money for him doesn't matter because with a rep player like Tariq other clubs will be interested who actually have money to spend. E.g The Roosters. The number of clubs who would want him gives the Dragons negotiating power which means they wouldn't be willing pay out 500K out of their own pocket and let us only pay only pay like 120K when say the Roosters are willing to pay him say 450K.

TheRiff

Juniors

Not all 2md rowers need to be able to do fancy stuff. Some times you just need a great hole running 2md rower.

Look at cordner. Australia and nsw star only just retired. He never had a passing game or step..he was extremley similar mould to martin..

Chooks never moved him. He was just a great hole running edge backrower that terrorised halfs.

We have, fish, leota, spencer, hopgood, eiso, sorensen, smith who can all play middle next year.

On an edge we have kikau martin and tago but i think tago might take burtons spot. So kiks and martin.

The depth at 2nd row in nsw cup isnt that strong and mavrick geyer and other flegg players are 2 or 3 years away.

Id be shocked if he isnt just a straight swap on the right next year for capes and i think he will play big mins. 65+ a week.

Crichton will take Burton's spot

Crichton will take Burton's spot Momo will stay on the right.

Cordner and Martin aren't like for like, Cordner is taller and lighter for starters. However the biggest difference is Tedesco played in all the sides Cordner did, We have a right side that is for the most part useless. They do score but it is off a kick or someone doing something special, Like Momo's kicks in.

We very likely lose Kikau, then have no forwards that can do anything. So as I see it, We need to find an edge forward or 2 that can offer something or some lean years will follow.

There will be cheapies to come onto the market from elsewhere but from the guys without a deal Jack Gowieski is closest to fitting the edge role.