What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

flippikat

Bench
But there in lies the problem, NRL is notorious for not having any flexibility in assisting new club start ups and seems it would rather see them fail than give them a leg up.
Precisely.

The Storm were extremely fortunate in that they were formed when many clubs were being axed, so it was very easy for them to assemble a squad that was competitive from day 1 (actually MORE than just competitive, real contenders!)

But there's unlikely to be a similar situation ever again, so new clubs HAVE to be given certain allowances in their first few seasons to try and prevent them being mediocre for half a decade (or longer!) before it all clicks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Precisely.

The Storm were extremely fortunate in that they were formed when many clubs were being axed, so it was very easy for them to assemble a squad that was competitive from day 1 (actually MORE than just competitive, real contenders!)

But there's unlikely to be a similar situation ever again, so new clubs HAVE to be given certain allowances in their first few seasons to try and prevent them being mediocre for half a decade (or longer!) before it all clicks.
Its interesting to see how hard the Dolphins are finding it compared to when the Titans signed their first squad. There seemed to be a belief that all the Qlnd players in NSW and Victoria would jump at chance to move back, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. NRL needs to learn the difference between equality and equity!

flippikat

Bench
Its interesting to see how hard the Dolphins are finding it compared to when the Titans signed their first squad. There seemed to be a belief that all the Qlnd players in NSW and Victoria would jump at chance to move back, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. NRL needs to learn the difference between equality and equity!
Yeah, but mind you the Titans had a bit more lead-in time.

Titans:
Confirmed - 27 May 2005
Debut regular season game - 18 Mar 2007 : approx 22 months later.

Dolphins:
Confirmed - 13 Oct 2021
Debut regular season game - Mar 2023 (estimated): Approx 17 months later.

A five months difference doesn't seem a lot, but it's still half-to-2/3rds of a season extra that the Titans had to prepare a roster.

I think they can add 3 more teams(2nd NZ team/5th QLD Team/Central Coast or Perth) - 20 teams - 4 Conferences of 5 teams - Play each team once and teams in your conference twice- 23 weeks- SOO can be played as standalone games- 3 bye rounds before SOO

Teams play the same teams in each conference so no easy or hard draw

Conference A - Roosters/ Souths/Manly/Central Coast or Perth/Newcastle
Conference B - Dragons/Sharks/Bulldogs/Warriors/Second NZ Team
Conference C - Parra/Penrith/ Wests Tigers/Storm/Raiders
Conference D - Broncos/Cows/Titans/Dolphins/ Another QLD team

Finals top 3 of each conference in cross over finals series- 13 Finals matches - currently 9

Ist week- Eliminations
Conferences winners have a bye
A) 2 vs 3 games( 4 games) - Winners to week 2 and losers eliminated

2nd week- Qualifying and Elimination
B) 1 vs 1 games(2 games) - winners to week 4- losers play winners of 2 vs 3 games in week 3
C) Winners of Game A ( 2 games) - winners to week 3 and losers eliminated

3rd week- Semi Finals
D) Losers of Game B 1 vs Winners of Game C - 2 Games- winners to week 4 and losers eliminated

4th Week- Prelim Finals
E) Winners of Game B vs Winners of Game D (2 Games) -winners to week 5 and Losers eliminated

5th Week - Grand Final

F) Winners of Game E

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No the plan was to keep SG Ball and bring in a NSW or Qlnd cup team. Its a bit of a chicken and egg though for NRLWA and its backers, no point doing that if no expansion plans for Perth, but may not be fave for expansion if we dont already have a second grade set up. Of course if the NRL actually had a strategy so we knew the long term plans then we'd know if its worth us going there or not.
The NRL has pretty much revealed lately that they do have an expansion strategy. They may not have made it public before now but they still have one.

Phase 1: Brisbane 2 which was to cover a growth area of SEQ that doesn't overlap to much with the Broncos. It has to bring value to the rest of the competition and it has to bring new sponsors to the game - tick

Phase 2: New Zealand 2 which will give us greater access to the talented NZ rugby player market. It will also boost the NZ TV dollars and Aus TV will pay extra for the extra games it creates.

I get that it's not how you would approach it, probably not me either (I'd throw Perth in before NZ2) but they do actually have a strategy and they are following through on in which is great to see and a breath of fresh air for our game.

ReddFelon

Juniors
On the subject of established division 2 teams, I'd love for the NRL to have the vision the NBL has had of late. Reorganising all State competitions under the NBL1 brand with direct pathways is doing great stuff for basketball talent development. Would love to see a nationalised division 2 competition in Rugby League.

I amended my Conference or Divisions as follow for a 20 team comp i.e second NZ team plus 5th Q;D team and Central Coast or Perth.

Obviously the more teams added the less equal and fair the draw becomes.

There would be the added incentive for teams to be conference or division winners and of course teams in any conference or division play the same teams so no easy or hard draw.

If Central Coast are admitted

Conference A - Roosters/ Souths/Manly/Central Coast /Bulldogs
Conference B - Dragons/Sharks/Parra/Penrith/Wests Tigers
Conference C - Storm/Raiders/Newcastle/Warriors/Second NZ team

If Perth are Admitted

Conference A - Roosters/ Souths/Manly/Bulldogs/Newcastle
Conference C - Storm/Raiders/Perth/Warriors/Second NZ team

Colk

First Grade
I amended my Conference or Divisions as follow for a 20 team comp i.e second NZ team plus 5th Q;D team and Central Coast or Perth.

There would be the added incentive for teams to be conference or division winners and of course teams in any conference or division play the same teams so no easy or hard draw.

If Perth are Admitted

I think this encapsulates the problem with the conference - if you are in C or D you have to travel a lot more than in A or B (C is particularly bad)

I think this encapsulates the problem with the conference - if you are in C or D you have to travel a lot more than in A or B (C is particularly bad)
Teams in C and D Conference/Divisions travel 12 times a year normally though- If you look at the travel teams in overseas sporting comps do this is very very very minimal travel though compared to what those teams do - Various Football Leagues/ NFL/NBA/MLB for an example.

After all they aren't driving or walking they are either flying or on a bus.

As the Atlanta Braves Manager Brian Snitker was saying after the Braves won game 6 on November 6 to clinch the World Series 4-2 - he hadn't been home since January the same for the majority of the players.

They play all over the US and even in Canada (Toronto) and rack up incredible flight miles and times including living out of a suit case as they say for the 162 game regular season and playoffs if they make it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its
Teams in C and D Conference/Divisions travel 12 times a year normally though- If you look at the travel teams in overseas sporting comps do this is very very very minimal travel though compared to what those teams do - Various Football Leagues/ NFL/NBA/MLB for an example.

After all they aren't driving or walking they are either flying or on a bus.

As the Atlanta Braves Manager Brian Snitker was saying after the Braves won game 6 on November 6 to clinch the World Series 4-2 - he hadn't been home since January the same for the majority of the players.

They play all over the US and even in Canada (Toronto) and rack up incredible flight miles and times including living out of a suit case as they say for the 162 game regular season and playoffs if they make it.
It’s not so much that teams in c and d are travelling, it’s that they are travelling a lot more than teams in the other conferences thus giving those teams an unfair advantage in recruitment and freshness.

Its

It’s not so much that teams in c and d are travelling, it’s that they are travelling a lot more than teams in the other conferences thus giving those teams an unfair advantage in recruitment and freshness.ve
The current C and D teams travel 12 times a season normally so not sure why this is an issue though or how it would affect recruitment as you would know signing for any of these teams would mean you have to travel to away games.

As far as freshness goes I am sure they employ or contract various people who are experts on the affects of travel and how to reduce any impact on performances though i.e pre game/during the game and post game - it's not something new to any of these teams or any team though

As long as 9 out of 16/17 clubs are from the one metropolitan area then they're going to have a significant advantage in the player market and player recovery process as they're travelling far less.

The only way to make things more even is by removing two or three Sydney clubs. I don't give a f**k if this fact irritates a few Sydney RL fans. The reason our game is so far behind our main competitor, despite being fairly even with them just 40 years ago, is because we've mollycoddled a bunch of whiny ungrateful brats from Sydney who have an entitlement complex that would give Megan Markle a run for her money. It's ridiculous that we don't have clubs in Adelaide or Perth and just one in Brisbane and NZ. Having the GF in Sydney a few years ago when its biggest available venue was a cricket ground with a smaller capacity than Lang Park was just dumb and proved that Sydney RL fans would rather cut off their nose to spite their face than do what's best for the game.

Diesel

Referee

If Perth are Admitted

No way you have Perth and Warriors/NZ2 in the same conference. They do enough travelling as it is. Make Easts and Souths travel for once

also AFAIK, there are no direct flights to/from Newcastle from NZ. NnZ shouldn’t have two flights while there is one conference full of Sydney clubs

MugaB

Coach
No way you have Perth and Warriors/NZ2 in the same conference. They do enough travelling as it is. Make Easts and Souths travel for once

also AFAIK, there are no direct flights to/from Newcastle from NZ. NnZ shouldn’t have two flights while there is one conference full of Sydney clubs
That's right, i wouldn't have more than 2 conferences anyway.
I'd pool it this way
Northern
Cows, Bronx, Fins, Titans, Knights, Manly, Parra, Wests, Penrith, Add Perth

Southern
Souths, Easts, Dogs, Sharks, Dragons, Raiders, Storm, Warriors, NZ2, add Adelaide

Colk

First Grade

From a person living in Newcastle there isn’t an international airport here although that will change quite shortly (slightly off topic - but a great investment for the area)

Colk

First Grade
That's right, i wouldn't have more than 2 conferences anyway.
I'd pool it this way
Northern
Cows, Bronx, Fins, Titans, Knights, Manly, Parra, Wests, Penrith, Add Perth

Southern
Souths, Easts, Dogs, Sharks, Dragons, Raiders, Storm, Warriors, NZ2, add Adelaide

Not a fan of conferences but this would be near perfect if you were to go down that route. All the Sydney teams keep their biggest rivalries except probably Canterbury whilst the regional teams are not so adversely affected because of greater travel commitments.

As long as 9 out of 16/17 clubs are from the one metropolitan area then they're going to have a significant advantage in the player market and player recovery process as they're travelling far less.

The only way to make things more even is by removing two or three Sydney clubs. I don't give a f**k if this fact irritates a few Sydney RL fans. The reason our game is so far behind our main competitor, despite being fairly even with them just 40 years ago, is because we've mollycoddled a bunch of whiny ungrateful brats from Sydney who have an entitlement complex that would give Megan Markle a run for her money. It's ridiculous that we don't have clubs in Adelaide or Perth and just one in Brisbane and NZ. Having the GF in Sydney a few years ago when its biggest available venue was a cricket ground with a smaller capacity than Lang Park was just dumb and proved that Sydney RL fans would rather cut off their nose to spite their face than do what's best for the game.

the amount of travel involved is minuscule to say the least compared to teams in overseas sports competitions - not all the EPL games are played in London or NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB games are all played in New York or Los Angeles- they travel and significant distances too.

If teams such as Raiders/Storm/Knights in the conference with the two NZ teams played the Warriors twice in the current comp under normal circumstances they would be traveling once to NZ so 2 times is not an issue.

All the Queensland teams plus Knights/Warriors/Raiders/Storm travel no matter what - Raiders i understand travel by bus to Sydney which takes 3 or more hours each way which would be a lot more gruelling and fatiguing than flying- playing 9 or 10 Greater Sydney Teams once would only entail 4 or 5 bus trips -flying is 50 mins to 1 hr - not sure about how the Knights travel to Sydney

Storm and Warriors of course fly to every away game.