What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Danish

Referee
The players absolutely need to strike over this nonsense.

hell don’t even strike officially. Just arrange RLPA meet ups at each of their local leagues clubs the day before round 1 is scheduled to start.

the comp can’t ban them all

Perth Red

Post Whore
The players absolutely need to strike over this nonsense.

hell don’t even strike officially. Just arrange RLPA meet ups at each of their local leagues clubs the day before round 1 is scheduled to start.

the comp can’t ban them all
No problem, just bring in a no play no pay clause for those who catch it from not doing the right thing.
Nrl is shtting itself it can’t run the comp this year and has to go through the tv dramas again. Look at epl where games are now being cancelled due to payer infections. theyve probably been told it’s either this or back into a bubble.

siv

First Grade
Covid is going to make the NRL make some big decisions soon

Eg something like expanded the squads to 40 and playing a NRL RG on game day. Maybe with 2 or all 4 interchange players playing in the NRL RG

You can't have a players 18 to 36 sitting around in a bubble waiting for a injury

Danish

Referee
No problem, just bring in a no play no pay clause for those who catch it from not doing the right thing.
Nrl is shtting itself it can’t run the comp this year and has to go through the tv dramas again. Look at epl where games are now being cancelled due to payer infections. theyve probably been told it’s either this or back into a bubble.

they are calling off games for a disease that now has a fatality rate of the flu. Players should stand their ground.

I wonder if PVL and the other execs will be willing to live under these ridiculous guidelines in solidarity with the players?

Angry_eel

First Grade
Given that Sydney today officially has 35000 cases, I don't think NRL can last 5 rounds without a team being out of action. Also, considering that Omicron is not a very serious variant AND we're talking about some of the most fit people in the country, NRL can't go heavy handed on the players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
they are calling off games for a disease that now has a fatality rate of the flu. Players should stand their ground.

I wonder if PVL and the other execs will be willing to live under these ridiculous guidelines in solidarity with the players?
No it doesnt.
Death rate due to flu globally is estimated at 650k in a bad year, deaths relating to covid in last 2 years estimated at 5.3 million. Bit of a difference!

txta2

Bench
The players who have kids or are in contact with teenagers are in trouble. There is no way they can stop this thing now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given that Sydney today officially has 35000 cases, I don't think NRL can last 5 rounds without a team being out of action. Also, considering that Omicron is not a very serious variant AND we're talking about some of the most fit people in the country, NRL can't go heavy handed on the players.
There's been 17 EPL games cancelled in less than 4 weeks. I cant see them allowing players to train and player when tested positive so not sure what the answer will be. I guess if vaccination rates were at 98% it wouldn't be such a big issue for Govt but with 20% of the country still refusing the jab the hospitals just wont cope if its allowed to run free.
Difficult times ahead for everyone this year I fear.

Angry_eel

First Grade
There's been 17 EPL games cancelled in less than 4 weeks. I cant see them allowing players to train and player when tested positive so not sure what the answer will be. I guess if vaccination rates were at 98% it wouldn't be such a big issue for Govt but with 20% of the country still refusing the jab the hospitals just wont cope if its allowed to run free.
Difficult times ahead for everyone this year I fear.
Double vacc rate in NSW is 92.7%, Victoria is 91.9 and QLD is 89.8. I am not sure how much more the Govt can do.

If the Govt isn't treating Omicron like regular Covid variants, I don't know why the NRL must do this.

My suggestion would be for all involved in NRL to get a booster and then let them be. We can't do much more than this except shutting down the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Double vacc rate in NSW is 92.7%, Victoria is 91.9 and QLD is 89.8. I am not sure how much more the Govt can do.

If the Govt isn't treating Omicron like regular Covid variants, I don't know why the NRL must do this.

My suggestion would be for all involved in NRL to get a booster and then let them be. We can't do much more than this except shutting down the comp.
Apologies I was looking at an old report. Yes the Govt is saying 91.6% nationally as of this week. In which case we might just have to stop counting infections and monitor hospital usage as a test for if we are coping with it or not.
Its clear you cant stop infection and go about some sort of normal life so maybe it is just something we will need to cope with and that there will be more sickness around than in previous times?

dogslife

Coach
No it doesnt.
Death rate due to flu globally is estimated at 650k in a bad year, deaths relating to covid in last 2 years estimated at 5.3 million. Bit of a difference!

Lets just ignore vaccination rates and severity of variants during that time because that suits your narrative. He clearly stated the latest variant is about as lethal as the flu, which it will proven to be eventually.

Latest posts