What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

mongoose

Coach
Pretty sure the Rams died as the league knew it can't compete with the AFL down here.

The Crows had gone back to back the year the Rams died and Port entered the top league the year before too.

If Adelaide United and the 36ers can't compete with the Crows and Power how do you think RL will?

I hear talk all the time about bum sniffers from people here when I say I'm a league fan.
They don't need to compete with AFL, just be an alternative. An Adelaide NRL team could easily draw 15-16k which would be fine.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again the Swans success was due to on field success from 96 onwards, the Super League war and the demise of clubs like Balmain & Norths etc.

Bar the Edelelsten years in the mid to late 80's the Swans had it incredibly tough and had to be bailed out by the AFL twice in the early 90's to avoid going out of business.

Had Tony Lockett, Paul Roos etc not come from St Kilda & Fitzroy respectively would the Swans have been the Cinderella story it was in the 90's? Highly doubt it.
Sydney Swans are stronger for having come from South Melbourne. It gave them a decent start in Sydney with a ready made team including Warrick Capper who helped them draw crowds of 30k a few years after relocation. It also gives the club a sense of history and culture, and 10k members in Melbourne who go to away games. Compare them the the soulless GWS. Same with Lions and Suns. Who would you rather be?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Sydney Swans are stronger for having come from South Melbourne. It gave them a decent start in Sydney with a ready made team including Warrick Capper who helped them draw crowds of 30k a few years after relocation. It also gives the club a sense of history and culture, and 10k members in Melbourne who go to away games. Compare them the the soulless GWS. Same with Lions and Suns. Who would you rather be?

I think you forget what happened after that. After Edleston was out as the owner and it reverted back to the AFL, the Swans were drawing approx 2-3K per game for a few years. I used to work the SFS and SCG (easy way for a poor uni student to see sport for free) and can promise you the crowds were that dire. It really wasn't until after they got Tony Lockett that things really turned around (and the Super League war which pushed supporters away from Rugby League).

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Are you and that soccer troll on Youtube one and the same?

Nobody is more cooked in the head than you two.

The Swans represent the entire city of Sydney where as the Sharks represent the Sutherland Shire an area in the southern suburbs of Sydney.

Maybe rugby league nationwide should die using your rationale as the Swans kicked every club in the NRL's arse for crowds.

In the last year before the pandemic hit the Swans averaged 30K, the highest Sydney club that year was Parramatta with 18K in the first year of their new stadium.

You hate us and tar us all with the same brush because of the actions of a few drunk idiots which every club has.

I'd guarantee it that if I went to a Cowgirls game in Townsville a section of your own fans would do the same thing.

Moral of the story is EVERY f**king club in every sport worldwide has their fair share of moron supporters.

If you got out of that bubble you live in you'd realise that.
Go easy on him A.S … he’s from Logan. Also that ignore function works a treat as he contributes nothing constructive to the forum.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't the soulless GWS have twice as many members as the Sharks (and a couple of other Sydney NRL clubs tbf)?
Don't understand why membership is such hard work to get NRL fans to commit to.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
those membership numbers are are rubbery as it gets... 30k members but are lucky to get 8000 to a game, please....
Apparently their crowd avg pre covid was 12.5 k so split across two cities it isn't so far fetched. I do smile though when people call out the old 'rubbery' figure argument when there is no evidence to back the claim up.

No doubt there is freebies or other concessions in there, bit like Storm and Eels are now doing and should be applauded for. Marketing is much needed.

When Smith could see the need for a membership culture and committed $millions to centralize membership recruitment and marketing at NRLHQ it worked a treat with big increases. Then Greenberg stopped the funding and gave responsibility back to the clubs and for many the growth dried up. Hopefully post covid we can get back to growing the committed customer base and make the most of these lovely new stadiums many clubs will have.

Bringing it back to stadiums with clubs now having excess capacity they really need to be offering some good deals and reciprocal members arrangements to help fill them. I hope the NRL has been negotiating good lease deals on these new stadiums for clubs so they can pass on the savings to the members. There's not much point in tribalism and 9 clubs in one city if you aren't attracting a healthy away following to inter city games.

Are you and that soccer troll on Youtube one and the same?

Nobody is more cooked in the head than you two.

The Swans represent the entire city of Sydney where as the Sharks represent the Sutherland Shire an area in the southern suburbs of Sydney.

Maybe rugby league nationwide should die using your rationale as the Swans kicked every club in the NRL's arse for crowds.

In the last year before the pandemic hit the Swans averaged 30K, the highest Sydney club that year was Parramatta with 18K in the first year of their new stadium.

You hate us and tar us all with the same brush because of the actions of a few drunk idiots which every club has.

I'd guarantee it that if I went to a Cowgirls game in Townsville a section of your own fans would do the same thing.

Moral of the story is EVERY f**king club in every sport worldwide has their fair share of moron supporters.

If you got out of that bubble you live in you'd realise that.
You said the Rams failed. Their attendances were better than Cronulla's.

You spoke about Adelaide not being viable, yet you ignore the times Cronulla needed to be bailed out by the governing body.

What does that say about Cronulla?

Your defence is Cronulla cannot pull big numbers because it represents a small segment of Sydney...

Talk about an own goal, but do you not realise that's precisely the reason why they should be kicked out?

Your club is routinely singled out by expansionist because it's too small to survive on its own legs in a national competition.

Why should Sutherland have representation when larger RL areas like Central Coast, Sunshine Coast and Logan do not?

Neither you nor any other Cronulla fan can come up with a solid argument to justify Cronulla being in the national competition. This makes you angry, so you get abusive and snarky. The fact is your club draws low ratings on TV, making them useless to the broadcasters. My club might be shit on the field, but we're still the sixth most watched team on TV. When I pointed this out a few weeks ago, a few crazy Cronulla fans flooded the thread with their tinfoil hats and claimed the data is all wrong, just like the soccer nutters do whenever people point out how poor the ratings are for their game.

Td;dr: It's stupid to have lots of small unviable clubs in one large metropolitan area when there are smaller but sizeable metropolises without a team.

The fact an AwFuL team can pull 30k people to its games in Sydney is enough reason to bring back the Adelaide Rams and introduce the West Coast Pirates. If you think our game cannot succeed in Adelaide or Perth then you're no better than the "soccer troll" who always talks down our game.

Only reason the Adelaide Rams were set up was because they needed an extra team to make it a 10 team comp for SL in 1997. The lone employee of the SARL defected to Super League, and as News Ltd got its start in Adelaide, that was where the idea germinated for the Adelaide Rams came from.

In 1997, the Rams averaged 15,330 per home game. In 1998 that dipped to 7,742 per game (figures from - https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/adelaide.html).

There is little, if any junior league infrastructure in SA, unlike WA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only reason the Adelaide Rams were set up was because they needed an extra team to make it a 10 team comp for SL in 1997. The lone employee of the SARL defected to Super League, and as News Ltd got its start in Adelaide, that was where the idea germinated for the Adelaide Rams came from.

In 1997, the Rams averaged 15,330 per home game. In 1998 that dipped to 7,742 per game (figures from - https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/adelaide.html).

Thats the difference between the codes. One says there’s not much interest there let’s not bother. The other says let’s see if we can create interest In this big potential market.

Thats the difference between the codes. One says there’s not much interest there let’s not bother. The other says let’s see if we can create interest In this big potential market.
Put a team in Adelaide and it would succeed in ways Cronulla cannot. For a start, the odds of a team from Cronulla getting a gov funded stadium would be far greater than Cronulla as it would be used in the summer by Adelaide FC. Representing 1.3 million people in a city that has a low junior base gives it room to grow and add players to the game. We're not going to see serious growth in Sutherland because everyone who is likely to follow the game already does. There are thousands of kids in Adelaide who could be RL fans and playing for a junior club if only they had a team to follow.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

Pretty much, rugby union has more of a base here than the league does.

I've lost count of how many SARL clubs have folded since I've been here.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Put a team in Adelaide and it would succeed in ways Cronulla cannot. For a start, the odds of a team from Cronulla getting a gov funded stadium would be far greater than Cronulla as it would be used in the summer by Adelaide FC. Representing 1.3 million people in a city that has a low junior base gives it room to grow and add players to the game. We're not going to see serious growth in Sutherland because everyone who is likely to follow the game already does. There are thousands of kids in Adelaide who could be RL fans and playing for a junior club if only they had a team to follow.
Why would we need a government funded stadium?

The club owns its own ground why would we hand it over to the government?

I get it you hate us because a few drunk fans gave you the Cowgirls fans a hard time but like I said and you haven't bothered to address because you know its true, a few morons don't represent the whole f**king club.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
You said the Rams failed. Their attendances were better than Cronulla's.

You spoke about Adelaide not being viable, yet you ignore the times Cronulla needed to be bailed out by the governing body.

What does that say about Cronulla?

Your defence is Cronulla cannot pull big numbers because it represents a small segment of Sydney...

Talk about an own goal, but do you not realise that's precisely the reason why they should be kicked out?

Your club is routinely singled out by expansionist because it's too small to survive on its own legs in a national competition.

Why should Sutherland have representation when larger RL areas like Central Coast, Sunshine Coast and Logan do not?

Neither you nor any other Cronulla fan can come up with a solid argument to justify Cronulla being in the national competition. This makes you angry, so you get abusive and snarky. The fact is your club draws low ratings on TV, making them useless to the broadcasters. My club might be shit on the field, but we're still the sixth most watched team on TV. When I pointed this out a few weeks ago, a few crazy Cronulla fans flooded the thread with their tinfoil hats and claimed the data is all wrong, just like the soccer nutters do whenever people point out how poor the ratings are for their game.

Td;dr: It's stupid to have lots of small unviable clubs in one large metropolitan area when there are smaller but sizeable metropolises without a team.

The fact an AwFuL team can pull 30k people to its games in Sydney is enough reason to bring back the Adelaide Rams and introduce the West Coast Pirates. If you think our game cannot succeed in Adelaide or Perth then you're no better than the "soccer troll" who always talks down our game.
It's merkins like you that have permanently damaged the love I had for the game.

Completely fed up of the anti Cronulla rhetoric to the point I only watch Sharks games these days.

If Cronulla goes, I personally wouldn't lose sleep if the game died a death by thousand cuts.

You said once you don't care about the Sydney clubs, well guess what the league went to shit in 1995 when it added all these out of town clubs and the league became the ARL.

It wasn't the same game for me after that.

All I care about is the Sydney clubs, couldn't give a flying monkeys about the Donkeys, Cow Botherers and the joke club that is the Gold Coast.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking good, I hope the NRL, and Sydney clubs get creative in finding ways to maximise the investment the Govt has made. Be nice to see events, double headers, blockbuster scheduling etc held there.

I don't know if it's been posted before, but Mackay Cutters could get a major upgrade to their stadium. Capacity would be 15k.

Mackay_Stadium_2021_upgrade_1.jpg

Mackay_Stadium_2021_upgrade_2.jpg