What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dolphins brand, jersey, merch etc

Reflector

Juniors
I've asked before and Perth Red linked me but now I can't find the post-

What's the best email contact for the Dolphins marketing department?

thenrlphinsider

Juniors
I have the player media polo (I prefer the black), hat (black - now out of stock), and I am looking at the hoodie or jumper for winter. I am also in the process of soring the Foundation jersey, getting it signed, and framed.

cinders7

Juniors
Captain Patrick Logan was hated by the convicts he whipped, so they celebrated when he was murdered.

A lot of localities are named after Captain Logan. One of the longest roads in Brisbane is Logan Road and it begins just a few hundreds metres from Langlands Park and extends all the way into the north-eastern suburbs of Logan. It would make a lot of sense for Easts Tigers to bid under the Logan brand as they clubs located down the corridor that Logan Road dominates. Maybe something like Logan Captains, Logan Chiefs, Logan Lancers or some other name that can be linked to 19th century Australia. Or even Logan Firehawks.
Easts’ fan base would rather give up the club than associate with the riff-raff from Logan.
For non-Brisbane people it’d be the same as Easts (Syd) or Manly renaming themselves to take over Centerbury or Penrith.

Calling a team Logan says a certain thing to sponsors and fans.

Easts’ fan base would rather give up the club than associate with the riff-raff from Logan.
For non-Brisbane people it’d be the same as Easts (Syd) or Manly renaming themselves to take over Centerbury or Penrith.

Easts are still guilty of doing that - "Sydney" Roosters. At least Bulldogs dropped the Sydney branding and went back to Canterbury Bankstown.

Easts fans didn't mind taking Logan boys, such as Darren Smith, back in the day.

Easts have four sub-district clubs in Logan. Rochedale Tigers. Springwood Tigers. Flagstone Tigers. Yarrabilba Tigers.

We don't need two teams called Brisbane.

If it wasn't for Captain Patrick Logan then the Moreton Bay settlement would have been abandoned.

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane Dolphins sounds fine.
Nope, that's pretty garbage actually, i much prefer Sunshine State Dolphins, Moreton Bay Dolphins, or at worst South QLD dolphins, the use of the name "Brisbane" reminds me of how the chooks call them selves Sydney, in a city of 8 other teams, those fkwts want to be above them, to me sunshine state is far the best as it doesn't shun Brisbane , Moreton or Sunshine Coast areas and its also been done in the states with golden state warriors

Not in sydney sharing with 8 other clubs, should be called easts or sydney city
Nope. I’d be happy with Sydney Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Tigers, Sydney Rabbitohs.

Penrith, St George - Illawarra, Manly-Warringah, Cronulla - Sutherland are fine too.

Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Dolphins.
Auckland Warriors.
Nth Qld works fine. Gold Coast, Melbourne, Canberra…

Perth, Adelaide too.

We’re moving to a city based comp. Time to move forward.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
My advice is that they call themselves Redcliff.

Be proud of it and tell everyone else to get f**ked. Even if you don't intend to play most games there.

Easts, Canterbury and Balmain tried to call themselves "Sydney". Cronulla tried to just be The Sharks. It was all shit.

You're a club with a history. Stick with Redcliff.

My advice is that they call themselves Redcliff.

Be proud of it and tell everyone else to get f**ked. Even if you don't intend to play most games there.

Easts, Canterbury and Balmain tried to call themselves "Sydney". Cronulla tried to just be The Sharks. It was all shit.

You're a club with a history. Stick with Redcliff.
Agree 1000% but this being rugby league they will sadly sell out to a sponsor and be called something like the Terry White Dolphins.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Nope. I’d be happy with Sydney Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Tigers, Sydney Rabbitohs.

Penrith, St George - Illawarra, Manly-Warringah, Cronulla - Sutherland are fine too.

Brisbane Broncos, Brisbane Dolphins.
Auckland Warriors.
Nth Qld works fine. Gold Coast, Melbourne, Canberra…

Perth, Adelaide too.

We’re moving to a city based comp. Time to move forward.
Garbage....why dont soccer clubs in London do the same thing or AFL teams in Melbourne.

Garbage....why dont soccer clubs in London do the same thing or AFL teams in Melbourne.
Dunno mate.

I'm merely saying that if Sydney teams do it in the RL, I'm fine with it.

For years they've discussed, and now admitted a 2nd "Brisbane" team. Makes sense to call them Brisbane, in my books, not saying I'm right or wrong. Becoming the 2nd team, then naming yourself a slice of the pie instead of trying to appeal to the whole pie seems a really dumb thing to do. And as we've moved to an inter/national club game, I reckon being Brisbane is better than being Moreton Bay or Redcliffe. And since we're more based in large metro areas these days (the NZ Warriors and NQ Cowboys, who are reaching out to larger areas than say a city), being named after the city makes more sense over calling them East Coast, South Qld or some such.
I can live with West Coast for a WA team, but Perth would suffice (like Perth Scorchers, Wildcats, Glory) and I reckon Adelaide makes more sense for that team. That said, if a 2nd NZ team comes in, the Warriors will need to revert to Auckland IMHO. Or regional name (which I'm not au fait with) like North Island, or whatever. You can't have the NZ Warriors, and Canterbury Bulldogs.

As for Sydney teams, the other poster was saying Roosters shouldn't be called Sydney, and I got the vibe s/he thought they'd hijacked the name. I could care less. I personally think Sydney Roosters sounds better than Eastern Suburbs in this modern age. It's the same as Souths playing at ANZ and not SFS. Both clubs are reaching out to all of Sydney. The Tigers, with their shambolic and nomadic 22 years might benefit from f**king off the past and becoming the Sydney Tigers and galvanising the Tigers and Magpies fans spread far and wide across the city, state and country in to one team. The Wests brand was a poor brand back in the 1990's - synonymous with a losing culture etc, and the 2000s 'Wests' has done nothing really to change that. It's a dumb name too. 2 struggling teams merged and have become another dead-man walking team, that really needs to be rectified ASAP. A rebrand might refreshen them. Their management needs to be fixed too. But they do have a lot of bloody fans and it's doing them a disservice being rubbish. Again, what would I know?

Bulldogs could be the same. Their fanbase spreads far and wide. But if everyone is happy representing their suburbs, hey, I'm fine with that too.

At the end of the day, what ever floats your boat.

Quicksilver

Bench
Wests Tigers have struggled "as a brand" because their team hasn't done well.

It was a strong brand 2005 onwards, it just declined over time as the team became shit. There was a time when ever kid wanted to be Benji. (I wanted to be Bryce Gibbs.)

If they became a Top 4 team all of a sudden they would be a strong brand again.

Dunno mate.

I'm merely saying that if Sydney teams do it in the RL, I'm fine with it.

For years they've discussed, and now admitted a 2nd "Brisbane" team. Makes sense to call them Brisbane, in my books, not saying I'm right or wrong. Becoming the 2nd team, then naming yourself a slice of the pie instead of trying to appeal to the whole pie seems a really dumb thing to do. And as we've moved to an inter/national club game, I reckon being Brisbane is better than being Moreton Bay or Redcliffe. And since we're more based in large metro areas these days (the NZ Warriors and NQ Cowboys, who are reaching out to larger areas than say a city), being named after the city makes more sense over calling them East Coast, South Qld or some such.
I can live with West Coast for a WA team, but Perth would suffice (like Perth Scorchers, Wildcats, Glory) and I reckon Adelaide makes more sense for that team. That said, if a 2nd NZ team comes in, the Warriors will need to revert to Auckland IMHO. Or regional name (which I'm not au fait with) like North Island, or whatever. You can't have the NZ Warriors, and Canterbury Bulldogs.

As for Sydney teams, the other poster was saying Roosters shouldn't be called Sydney, and I got the vibe s/he thought they'd hijacked the name. I could care less. I personally think Sydney Roosters sounds better than Eastern Suburbs in this modern age. It's the same as Souths playing at ANZ and not SFS. Both clubs are reaching out to all of Sydney. The Tigers, with their shambolic and nomadic 22 years might benefit from f**king off the past and becoming the Sydney Tigers and galvanising the Tigers and Magpies fans spread far and wide across the city, state and country in to one team. The Wests brand was a poor brand back in the 1990's - synonymous with a losing culture etc, and the 2000s 'Wests' has done nothing really to change that. It's a dumb name too. 2 struggling teams merged and have become another dead-man walking team, that really needs to be rectified ASAP. A rebrand might refreshen them. Their management needs to be fixed too. But they do have a lot of bloody fans and it's doing them a disservice being rubbish. Again, what would I know?

Bulldogs could be the same. Their fanbase spreads far and wide. But if everyone is happy representing their suburbs, hey, I'm fine with that too.

At the end of the day, what ever floats your boat.
Western Sydney Tigers would be a good brand.

"Wests" just sounds like redneck slang. If they're going to insist on calling themselves "Wests" then at least change their brand to the Wests Westies, sponsored by Twisties.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because like nrl they’ve grown out of suburban club based comps. Other comps that haven’t and are city V city comps use the city name even if there’s more than one club ie NYJets and NY Giants. Limiting your customer base by only representing a smaller than need be region is usually not a great idea though Fremantle Dockers have managed to appeal to a much broader region so who knows.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
In the modern sports world it is TV that will increase a clubs support based on that clubs success. Take Canberra Raiders as a prime example. Pre Meninga no one outside their area was interested once they became a great team so their support grew far and wide.

Latest posts