What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If ppl here got their way..

Pippen94

First Grade
If that's the case then how come a Broncos vs Cowboys match at Lang Park draws twice as many attendees than the game between Penrith and Parramatta?

Townsville isn't within driving distance of Brisbane, yet there are more Cowboys fans at Lang Park to see a Cowboys vs Broncos game than Parramatta fans at tonight's game in Penrith.

I know you'll disagree with me, but I cannot see Canterbury and Wests being stable and successful while they're camped on top of each other fighting over limited resources. It's my belief that one team representing everywhere from Leichhardt to Canterbury to Bankstown to Macarthur would draw larger attendances, higher television ratings, sell more merchandise and acquire richer sponsorship deals than the Bulldogs and Tigers. Both clubs have become also-rans since 2005, on and off the field. They have fans, but they're becoming more splintered and are not drawing the sponsorship deals needed to attract the best players. Both clubs lack a genuine home base that appeals to sponsors and fans, so it's not surprising they're only able to recruit also-rans and has-beens.

Southern Sydney is another area that would benefit from having just one club. St George and Cronulla struggle to attract strong attendances, television ratings and sponsors. Cronulla is still struggling despite having onfield success. The one thing Cronulla does have is a base. In an ideal world you would have a team based in Wollongong and Sutherland representing Illawarra and Southern Sydney.

Cowboys - Broncos is qld equivalent. Parra vs Panthers will draw 30k next time this year.

Also, here's list of attendances for last uninterrupted season;

Notice which teams draw lowest away numbers?!

Rest of your post is manifesto for relocation which ignores rivalries game is built on & turns regular season clash like tonight into a big event.

Colk

First Grade
No, because I can't be bothered & what I say is logical & applies to all sports. Lakers & Celtics in NBA would boast crowd numbers there for example.

So you can’t? Didn’t think so

You have this weird concept that every team in Sydney is the same and that every team outside of Sydney is the same.

You have teams in Sydney that are well supported and you have teams in Sydney that aren’t. This is the same outside of Sydney.

It is also ironic that you use an example of a sport that has a national footprint to illustrate your point about crowds numbers. Do you think if the NBA ignored major capital cities and refused expansion in their competition that they would have the same support as they do?

Pippen94

First Grade
So you can’t? Didn’t think so

You have this weird concept that every team in Sydney is the same and that every team outside of Sydney is the same.

You have teams in Sydney that are well supported and you have teams in Sydney that aren’t. This is the same outside of Sydney.

It is also ironic that you use an example of a sport that has a national footprint to illustrate your point about crowds numbers. Do you think if the NBA ignored major capital cities and refused expansion in their competition that they would have the same support as they do?

Most ppl who follow sport could've guessed this anyway

Cowboys - Broncos is qld equivalent. Parra vs Panthers will draw 30k next time this year.

Rest of your post is manifesto for relocation which ignores rivalries game is built on & turns regular season clash like tonight into a big event.
The lowest attendances of 2019 were small Sydney clubs hosting interstate clubs. The data proves my point perfectly. Clubs like Manly, Canterbury, St George and Manly only have 10k hardcore fans who will watch them through thick and thin. Not enough to support an NRL club. It's not an away club's role to take their fans with them to see a team that's based in another state. If a Sydney club cannot draw 10k fans from its catchment when hosting an interstate club then it needs to be culled because it offers nothing to the game and is just a parasite holding back true expansion. Sorry, not sorry.

Why do Sydney RL fans think it's the duty of the Cowboys to provide 5k to 8k fans who will fly from Townsville to Sydney because Canterbury has less than 7k true fans willing to watch the two teams play at Stadium Australia?

It reeks of entitlement, especially when the people making the demand are reluctant to travel more than an hour by car to watch their own team play.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Most ppl who follow sport could've guessed this anyway

That table proves nothing. The differences between all of the clubs are completely negligible - i.e the differences of 1,000 average or so is so minute that you can’t honestly draw some extensive or valid argument.

Why are you discounting home instead of away (in fact that may actually buttress some of your away numbers). For example Melbourne, Brisbane and Newcastle average more than most, if not, all of the Sydney clubs.

Furthermore, have you ever considered distance or geography in your arguments. For example, if a majority of teams are in Sydney then away games involving Sydney sides is fairly negligible. Away fans involving non Sydney teams and Sydney teams is going to be more of a consideration - i.e you are not going to get as many Sydney fans in Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Newcastle and vice versa.

Also, you completely ignored my last point (maybe because it doesn’t suit your agenda). Would NBA have achieved the support they have had in America if they ignored a large part of their country? I find it very strange to use an example of a national competition to support the idea of a competition remaining in two states (essentially) or ignoring capital cities

I'll note that seven of the lowest drawing matches in 2019 were games played in Sydney by two Sydney teams.

5391Parramatta v CanberraMarrara29-Jun-2019
5578St George Illawarra v MelbourneWollongong04-Jul-2019
6144Cronulla v North QueenslandEndeavour25-Jul-2019
6532St George Illawarra v Gold Coast TitansKogarah10-Aug-2019
6711Canterbury v North QueenslandStadium Australia26-Apr-2019
7008St George Illawarra v North QueenslandWollongong28-Jun-2019
7213Canterbury v CanberraStadium Australia01-Jun-2019
7465Manly v Gold Coast TitansBrookvale24-May-2019
7683Cronulla v MelbourneEndeavour03-May-2019
7981Penrith v ManlyPenrith30-May-2019
8217Sydney Roosters v CanterburyS.C.G.16-Jun-2019
8253Souths v NewcastleStadium Australia07-Jun-2019
8274Newcastle v Gold Coast TitansNewcastle ISC31-Aug-2019
8358Canterbury v CronullaStadium Australia30-Jun-2019
8468Manly v St George IllawarraBrookvale16-Jun-2019
8512Manly v Wests TigersBrookvale15-Aug-2019
8680Gold Coast Titans v PenrithRobina12-Apr-2019
St George Illawarra v Sydney Roosters
Kogarah24-Aug-2019
9136St George Illawarra v Wests TigersS.C.G.01-Sep-2019

That's a pretty damning indictment against Sydney's inability to support nine clubs. So much for these teams having drawing power when they cannot draw a crowd between one another in their own city.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I'll note that eight of the lowest drawing matches in 2019 were games played in Sydney by two Sydney teams.

That's a pretty damning indictment against Sydney's inability to support nine clubs. So much for these teams having drawing power when they cannot draw a crowd between one another in their own city.

Mate there is no argument against a national competition other than confected ones about Sydney tradition and rivalry etc.

Mate there is no argument against a national competition other than confected ones about Sydney tradition and rivalry etc.
The figures don't lie and paint a grim picture of the game's health in Sydney. Tribalism has created small clubs that would be unviable in a national competition that doesn't prop them up. The solution might lie in getting rid of Bulldogs, Tigers, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Dragons and Roosters and replacing them with two or three neutral teams. There's no reason a new team cannot cover Northern Beaches, North Shore and Southern Sydney. Another team can cover Canterbury, Macarthur and the Inner West. That would reduce Sydney to five teams : Parramatta Panthers, Penrith Panthers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney and Western Sydney. It could open up room for the Rabbitohs to claim Southern Sydney and leave the eastern suburbs, North Shore and Northern Beaches to the new Sydney team. Western Sydney would have a large and growing area all to themselves.

Imagine how much our game could grow with four less teams in Sydney?

We could add Perth, NZ 2 and Brisbane 3 or Adelaide or NZ 3 to bring the total to 16 teams. That's a well spread out competition that would be the envy of every other sporting code.

Auckland Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bulldogs (Christchurch, red and black)
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Moreton Bay Dolphins
Newcastle Knights
North Queensland Cowboys
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sydney
West Coast Pirates
Western Sydney

Plus Adelaide Rams or Brisbane Firehawks or Wellington Orcas. We could have Easts Tigers enter as Brisbane Tigers to appeal to old Balmain fans who don't want to get on board the new Sydney or Western Sydney teams.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Must be why Sydney clubs have such big crowd avg’s, oh hang on….
what was Penrith’s crowd avg in 2019? All those Sydney clubs away fans boosting attendances, must have been big yes?

Take the Sydney teams out, I dare ya.
You kents are so dumb that you cannot see that the only reason that CH9 and Fox pay so much money is BECAUSE there are so many Sydney teams in the competition.

Amuse me, my friends.
Well maybe not, dumb arses.

Take the Sydney teams out, I dare ya.
You kents are so dumb that you cannot see that the only reason that CH9 and Fox pay so much money is BECAUSE there are so many Sydney teams in the competition.

Amuse me, my friends.
Well maybe not, dumb arses.
If what you said was based in reality then the top nine most watched teams would be from Sydney. They are not. Broncos, Storm and Cowboys draw higher ratings than most Sydney clubs. Broncos and Cowboys can finish in the bottom four on the premiership ladder and still draw better ratings than most Sydney clubs. This is vital as it means Broncos and Cowboys are a draw regardless of onfield form. With the Sydney clubs the amount of people tuning in is dependent upon how they're travelling on the field. Must be a bastard for the broadcasters and ARLC to decide which Sydney teams to put on Ch9 when they don't know how they'll go on the field.

AwFuL gets more money than us and they have just two teams in Sydney. 🤑😉

Must be why Sydney clubs have such big crowd avg’s, oh hang on….
what was Penrith’s crowd avg in 2019? All those Sydney clubs away fans boosting attendances, must have been big yes?

Last edited:
If what you said was based in reality then the top nine most watched teams would be from Sydney. They are not. Broncos, Storm and Cowboys draw higher ratings than most Sydney clubs. Broncos and Cowboys can finish in the bottom four on the premiership ladder and still draw better ratings than most Sydney clubs.

Like i said, I dare you to take Sydney teams away.
See where it ends up.
Dumb.

Like i said, I dare you to take Sydney teams away.
See where it ends up.
Dumb.
Super League drew better attendances than ARL in 1997. Super League was broadcast on Foxtel, Ch9 and ABC. ARL was limited to just Optus Vision and Ch9.

There were just three Sydney teams in Super League. One of them was the lowly Sharks who had f**k all fans!

So much for the drawing power of Sydney!

Super League drew better attendances than ARL in 1997. Super League was broadcast on Foxtel, Ch9 and ABC. ARL was limited to just Optus Vision and Ch9.

There were just three Sydney teams in Super League. One of them was the lowly Sharks who had f**k all fans!

Yeah just stay on your computer whining mate.
I go to every Sharks home game and love it.
Do you actually go to games live????

Pippen94

First Grade
The lowest attendances of 2019 were small Sydney clubs hosting interstate clubs. The data proves my point perfectly. Clubs like Manly, Canterbury, St George and Manly only have 10k hardcore fans who will watch them through thick and thin. Not enough to support an NRL club. It's not an away club's role to take their fans with them to see a team that's based in another state. If a Sydney club cannot draw 10k fans from its catchment when hosting an interstate club then it needs to be culled because it offers nothing to the game and is just a parasite holding back true expansion. Sorry, not sorry.

Why do Sydney RL fans think it's the duty of the Cowboys to provide 5k to 8k fans who will fly from Townsville to Sydney because Canterbury has less than 7k true fans willing to watch the two teams play at Stadium Australia?

It reeks of entitlement, especially when the people making the demand are reluctant to travel more than an hour by car to watch their own team play.

Big deflection here but anyway..let's have Christchurch play Perth on a Friday night in game very few ppl in NSW & qld would give a shit about & maybe even less ppl in those respective cities. Sounds like a viable competition

Pippen94

First Grade

What happened to super league again?!

Pippen94

First Grade
If what you said was based in reality then the top nine most watched teams would be from Sydney. They are not. Broncos, Storm and Cowboys draw higher ratings than most Sydney clubs. Broncos and Cowboys can finish in the bottom four on the premiership ladder and still draw better ratings than most Sydney clubs. This is vital as it means Broncos and Cowboys are a draw regardless of onfield form. With the Sydney clubs the amount of people tuning in is dependent upon how they're travelling on the field. Must be a bastard for the broadcasters and ARLC to decide which Sydney teams to put on Ch9 when they don't know how they'll go on the field.

You know collectively most of the fans support those Sydney clubs?! Unless you think storm, raider, titans can prop up league on their own?!

What happened to super league again?!
Its owner, News Ltd, got a 50% stake in the game and everything it wanted from 1998 onwards.

You know collectively most of the fans support those Sydney clubs?! Unless you think storm, raider, titans can prop up league on their own?!

How many attend games and regularly buy merchandise and support their clubs by purchasing membership packages?

If you were to cut the two smallest Sydney clubs and replace them with Perth and NZ2 then the game would have more fans within 20 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts