What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

It's Been Done

Juniors
Hopefully the RUWC sees hbf park in perth get its next upgrade, or they may play at optus depending on who it is I suppose.
They'll definitely use Optus so they can get up to 65k. The only other certainties I can see are the Adelaide Oval, Allianz, Stadium Australia, Suncorp and either the MCG or Marvel. Newcastle, Townsville, Cbus Super Stadium, Wollongong, Canberra, Geelong and Tasmania would be outsiders to get lower drawing games

siv

First Grade
They'll definitely use Optus so they can get up to 65k. The only other certainties I can see are the Adelaide Oval, Allianz, Stadium Australia, Suncorp and either the MCG or Marvel. Newcastle, Townsville, Cbus Super Stadium, Wollongong, Canberra, Geelong and Tasmania would be outsiders to get lower drawing games
Last RUWC they played a game at Gosford

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bruce doesn't meet WR's minimum standards anymore. In other words Canberra isn't getting any games unless the stadium is upgraded or WR waves some of the requirements.

A few of those others might not have the media facilities necessary to host games either, but I don't know for sure.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Bruce doesn't meet WR's minimum standards anymore. In other words Canberra isn't getting any games unless the stadium is upgraded or WR waves some of the requirements.

A few of those others might not have the media facilities necessary to host games either, but I don't know for sure.
Is this a chance for the rugby league loving government to build a facility which will meet RU WC requirements? No I’m not serious

It's Been Done

Juniors

In the case of Canberra as well as others that can be fixed with some cash chucked at them, unfortunately it's possibly too late for a new stadium in Canberra with the timeframe for the Rugby World Cup even if a new stadium was announced tomorrow. The poor standard media facilities was the reason Perth (the WACA) and Newcastle missed out in 2003, they're unlikely to miss out this time

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is this a chance for the rugby league loving government to build a facility which will meet RU WC requirements? No I’m not serious
I'll answer seriously anyway; maybe, but it's unlikely.

One of the biggest problems that Canberra has had is that the Federal government own the AIS (and related facilities including GIO stadium) but have allowed them to fall into disrepair over the last 15-20 years. Naturally the ACT government has been unwilling to invest heavily in assets they don't own, but can't convince the feds to do it themselves or to sell them to the ACT (at a reasonable price) so they can use those asset to invest in upgrades/new stadia.

With a RUWC coming to Australia it might be the incentive necessary to get some sort of movement going from the Feds to do something with GIO, which wouldn't be the ideal outcome, but would be better than nothing. A new enclosed stadium in a better location is the ideal, but even with the RUWC that's probably off the table because the ACT is too financially tied up in the light rail project to be able to fund it at the moment.

If the ARU, NRL, and/or FFA would come to the table with them and provide incentives, like the NBL is attempting to do to get to the AIS arena fixed up, then it could get the upgrades necessary to host RUWC games over the line, which would be a massive improvement on the current situation.

To be honest, though the odds are higher than they were a month ago, it's still highly unlikely that the RUWC will be the catalyst for Canberra getting a new or upgraded stadium in my opinion.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In the case of Canberra as well as others that can be fixed with some cash chucked at them, unfortunately it's possibly too late for a new stadium in Canberra with the timeframe for the Rugby World Cup even if a new stadium was announced tomorrow. The poor standard media facilities was the reason Perth (the WACA) and Newcastle missed out in 2003, they're unlikely to miss out this time
That assumes that Newcastle meets the standards, and I don't know for sure that they would. Wollongong, Hobart, Launceston, Gosford, and other similar stadiums, could all be iffy as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Townsville and Geelong don't have enough of the necessary media facilities either, but that could probably be easily fixed with some temporaries and creative thinking in their cases.

A lot of those stadiums could be made to meet the standards with minor upgrades, but I can assure you that the rest, along with Canberra, will all miss out unless there's no better option on the table.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I'll answer seriously anyway; maybe, but it's unlikely.

One of the biggest problems that Canberra has had is that the Federal government own the AIS (and related facilities including GIO stadium) but have allowed them to fall into disrepair over the last 15-20 years. Naturally the ACT government has been unwilling to invest heavily in assets they don't own, but can't convince the feds to do it themselves or to sell them to the ACT (at a reasonable price) so they can use those asset to invest in upgrades/new stadia.

With a RUWC coming to Australia it might be the incentive necessary to get some sort of movement going from the Feds to do something with GIO, which wouldn't be the ideal outcome, but would be better than nothing. A new enclosed stadium in a better location is the ideal, but even with the RUWC that's probably off the table because the ACT is too financially tied up in the light rail project to be able to fund it at the moment.

If the ARU, NRL, and/or FFA would come to the table with them and provide incentives, like the NBL is attempting to do to get to the AIS arena fixed up, then it could get the upgrades necessary to host RUWC games over the line, which would be a massive improvement on the current situation.

To be honest, though the odds are higher than they were a month ago, it's still highly unlikely that the RUWC will be the catalyst for Canberra getting a new or upgraded stadium in my opinion.
Good answer. I’ve been to GIO for Union and league games and it really needs a facelift. It’s in the middle of nowhere. I hope the raiders get the stadium Canberra deserves out of this

Good answer. I’ve been to GIO for Union and league games and it really needs a facelift. It’s in the middle of nowhere. I hope the raiders get the stadium Canberra deserves out of this
Its not really in the middle of nowhere , its on the eastern fringe of Belconnen & just to the west of the CBD.
Its just difficult to get into with roads around it easily clogged with traffic.
A new indoor venue there wouldn't be the best out come , but wouldn't be the worst either however access into the precint would need some serious upgrading.

Dugtrio

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if Townsville and Geelong don't have enough of the necessary media facilities either, but that could probably be easily fixed with some temporaries and creative thinking in their cases.

A lot of those stadiums could be made to meet the standards with minor upgrades, but I can assure you that the rest, along with Canberra, will all miss out unless there's no better option on the table.
I’m not sure what Rugby’s standards are, but I’d be surprised if Geelong doesn’t meet their media requirements; the refurbishment happening at the moment will bring capacity over 40,000 and is being set up to allow for international cricket for both women and men. Obviously it’s a long oval though so there’s better options.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m not sure what Rugby’s standards are, but I’d be surprised if Geelong doesn’t meet their media requirements; the refurbishment happening at the moment will bring capacity over 40,000 and is being set up to allow for international cricket for both women and men. Obviously it’s a long oval though so there’s better options.
The average international cricket game has a couple broadcasters then those programs are broadcast into all markets. WC games have multiple broadcasters and their commentary teams all broadcasting at the same time and the stadium needs the facilities to support that.

Now I'm not saying that Geelong can't support that, I don't know if it can or can't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government skimped on those facilities because they thought they'd never need them.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The average international cricket game has a couple broadcasters then those programs are broadcast into all markets. WC games have multiple broadcasters and their commentary teams all broadcasting at the same time and the stadium needs the facilities to support that.

Now I'm not saying that Geelong can't support that, I don't know if it can or can't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government skimped on those facilities because they thought they'd never need them.
Geelong is very narrow, much better for RU than other AFL ovals. Reckon they would use AAMI for any group stage matches not involving AUstralia anyway. AFL games in Geelong have TV and three radio networks covering. They would have the required facilities, as would Bellerive which has AFL media on the sidelines and Cricket media on the ends. The new Hobart multi purpose stadium would be ready in time anyway.
However, France is only using nine stadiums, so you would think that these 12 are in front of Hobart or Geelong.
SFS, ACCOR, Parra, Newcastle, Cabnerra, Suncorp, GC, Townsville, MCG, AAMI, Optus, & Adelaide Oval. Only Canberra would need an upgrade.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Geelong is very narrow, much better for RU than other AFL ovals. Reckon they would use AAMI for any group stage matches not involving AUstralia anyway. AFL games in Geelong have TV and three radio networks covering. They would have the required facilities, as would Bellerive which has AFL media on the sidelines and Cricket media on the ends. The new Hobart multi purpose stadium would be ready in time anyway.
However, France is only using nine stadiums, so you would think that these 12 are in front of Hobart or Geelong.
SFS, ACCOR, Parra, Newcastle, Cabnerra, Suncorp, GC, Townsville, MCG, AAMI, Optus, & Adelaide Oval. Only Canberra would need an upgrade.
It'd be a bit of a tight fit to get Canberra ready in time. The ball would have to start moving pretty much straight away.

It should happen, but I doubt it will unfortunately.

It's Been Done

Juniors
Some of the stadiums, if there's not enough space for additional media facilities or it costs too much could improvise, like Tottenham Hotspur Stadium did to cater for NFL. Could be a decent solution for Canberra Stadium in 2027 for example