What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Colk

First Grade
That Dickson is a dope. He will annoy the wa govt. trying to work two places against each other

wa has more money being thrown at it than it looks like nz can. The interest from nz for this second license has been poor

It is pretty much how Great Dane suggested it would be and he was always the best place to comment seeing he is/was a Bears supporter.

This half arsed method of expansion isn’t going to work. If the Bears were ever going to get back they would have to fully commit to a new area and leave the NSO fantasies to where they should be: fantasies

Wb1234

Referee
Im thinking this guy is in need of a haircut...
Actually feel like he knows he'll get first dibs on being the 18th team as "the bears" but depends on the locality, so right now he is playing off WA against South island NZ, seeing what they can offer, personally should take whatever they can get, seriously its only the branding and juniors that they offer
Way to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Wb1234

Referee
It is pretty much how Great Dane suggested it would be and he was always the best place to comment seeing he is/was a Bears supporter.

This half arsed method of expansion isn’t going to work. If the Bears were ever going to get back they would have to fully commit to a new area and leave the NSO fantasies to where they should be: fantasies
Tgd usually finds a way to twist things in a negative manner much like Perth bear does. I don’t think either is happy very often tbh lol

flippikat

Bench
The biggest problem is your coaching. Thinking about it, other than Ivan Cleary, you have had coaches like Stephen Kearney, Matt Elliott, Nathan Brown. That would have to be the worst run of coaches I can remember

Essentially you can’t get any good coaches based in Australia, so the Warriors might be better to get somebody from NZ, even Union if you have to.
I think you may be on to something there.

In the past we've tried to graft the Aussie RL "win at all costs, never give up, punish the opposition" mindset onto the Warriors & Kiwis, but it hasn't translated.. maybe we need to look to NZ Rugby Union for that, to bring in a home-grown "show no mercy" attitude?

That's why Christchurch stands out to me as a logical place for NZ 2 - pick any sport & the "Cantab spirit" is such that they won't let you win easy,

that's especially true with their Rugby Union culture, they're like the Terminator.

To paraphrase that quote from the Terminator movie...

"[Canterbury teams] can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with. They don't feel pity of remorse or fear and they absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are beaten" ;)

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I think you may be on to something there.

In the past we've tried to graft the Aussie RL "win at all costs, never give up, punish the opposition" mindset onto the Warriors & Kiwis, but it hasn't translated.. maybe we need to look to NZ Rugby Union for that, to bring in a home-grown "show no mercy" attitude?

That's why Christchurch stands out to me as a logical place for NZ 2 - pick any sport & the "Cantab spirit" is such that they won't let you win easy,

that's especially true with their Rugby Union culture, they're like the Terminator.

To paraphrase that quote from the Terminator movie...

"[Canterbury teams] can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with. They don't feel pity of remorse or fear and they absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are beaten" ;)
Remember now Alan jones went as Balmain coach ?

a kiwi union coach would be the end of the warriors

they need a good Aussie coach the problem is they get crap ones

flippikat

Bench

I'm not necessarily saying a head coach from RU, but the maybe someone from their training staff, or defense, or man-management surely would help.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm not necessarily saying a head coach from RU, but the maybe someone from their training staff, or defense, or man-management surely would help.
Hansen was a flop too for the dogs. And he’s as good as it gets in terms of union coaches

Eddie jones has been rumoured to want to coach a league side. I feel sorry for any club that takes the bait

warriors need a reboot for the whole organisation not just the coach. Obviously someone like Bellamy could turn them around on his own but he’s not coming

keeping and producing more local juniors into the nrl side is a big part of it

there aren’t many good coaches on the market but I wouldn’t mind Madge getting another chance there

Perth Red

Post Whore
That Dickson is a dope. He will annoy the wa govt. trying to work two places against each other

wa has more money being thrown at it than it looks like nz can. The interest from nz for this second license has been poor
They’d probably be a lot more in control and dictating terms in a NZ partnership. WA will have strong bidders with or without bears but nz2 probably need them to have a chance.

Wb1234

Referee
They’d probably be a lot more in control and dictating terms in a NZ partnership. WA will have strong bidders with or without bears but nz2 probably need them to have a chance.
Nz2 bears trumps Perth lol

nz were already favourites before

the bears are what gave Perth the lead

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nz2 bears trumps Perth lol

nz were already favourites before

the bears are what gave Perth the lead
When the Perth consortiums start putting their money on the table and the wa govt shows what it is willing to pump into it, then chalmers shows what he’s got to offer I’ve no fears where the nrl will think is better lol.

partnering with the bears given Vlandys small mindedness is probably the only way nz gets in over perth.

Wb1234

Referee
When the Perth consortiums start putting their money on the table and the wa govt shows what it is willing to pump into it, then chalmers shows what he’s got to offer I’ve no fears where the nrl will think is better lol.

partnering with the bears given Vlandys small mindedness is probably the only way nz gets in over perth.
Lord vlandys told Perth he’s only interested in a Perth team if the bears are tacked on

the bears can now play off both nz and Perth for the best outcome to them. They have huge leverage and they know this

Colk

First Grade

That’s the catch 22 though. Australians (players and coaches) don’t often go to the Warriors. They find it hard to recruit anybody, so unless they either go ridiculously over the top with money in order to lure someone across, or they are going to be stuck with the dregs who have no other options.

Todd Payten is a perfect example. He was an assistant coach but as soon as he had options he decided to go back home. That is their biggest problem.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s the catch 22 though. Australians (players and coaches) don’t often go to the Warriors. They find it hard to recruit anybody, so unless they either go ridiculously over the top with money in order to lure someone across, or they are going to be stuck with the dregs who have no other options.

Todd Payten is a perfect example. He was an assistant coach but as soon as he had options he decided to go back home. That is their biggest problem.
Flanghan is available now and I rate him as a coach

and like I said if Madge got sacked I think he’s do a great job there

the rot started with leaving Kearney there so long now they have to start basically from scratch again

don’t discount not playing before home crowds for over 2 years too

their weakness is surely turning the arlc off nz2

Colk

First Grade
Flanghan is available now and I rate him as a coach

and like I said if Madge got sacked I think he’s do a great job there

the rot started with leaving Kearney there so long now they have to start basically from scratch again

don’t discount not playing before home crowds for over 2 years too

their weakness is surely turning the arlc off nz2

Would he move there though? He has got a cushy job working in the media so he wouldn’t be in a rush to find a job. They went after Fitzgibbon but he waited it out, tried to keep Payten but he went home.

If they try and get an Aussie coach, they have to find somebody who no other club is looking at or have no other jobs on the go. That’s very difficult.

In saying all that though, they should have gone with anybody else baring Nathan Brown.

Wb1234

Referee
Would he move there though? He has got a cushy job working in the media so he wouldn’t be in a rush to find a job. They went after Fitzgibbon but he waited it out, tried to keep Payten but he went home.

If they try and get an Aussie coach, they have to find somebody who no other club is looking at or have no other jobs on the go. That’s very difficult.

In saying all that though, they should have gone with anybody else baring Nathan Brown.
Flanghan is dieing for another coaching job.

Madge coaches the kiwi test side so would too imo. A few more tigers losses and he’s gone too

Madge had success with Wigan in super league and south’s. he’s a top coach at a club with a weak front office and he’s copping the blame

Colk

First Grade
Flanghan is dieing for another coaching job.

Madge coaches the kiwi test side so would too imo. A few more tigers losses and he’s gone too

Madge had success with Wigan in super league and south’s. he’s a top coach at a club with a weak front office and he’s copping the blame

I think either would be a marked improvement over Nathan Brown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lord vlandys told Perth he’s only interested in a Perth team if the bears are tacked on

the bears can now play off both nz and Perth for the best outcome to them. They have huge leverage and they know this
Actually the reports said he suggested the WA govt talk to CLUBS. That’s plural and seems to have been missed in this fervour over the bears. Be interesting to know which other clubs he suggested. You could well end up the Perth Firehawks lol

Actually the reports said he suggested the WA govt talk to CLUBS. That’s plural and seems to have been missed in this fervour over the bears. Be interesting to know which other clubs he suggested. You could well end up the Perth Firehawks lol
I'd support the Western Firehawks as a third club. I'd become a non-ticketed member and attend their matches against Broncos, Dolphins and Titans.

Would Perth support it?

If the ARLC don't add the Pirates as the 18th team then everyone on the board should be court ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. There will never be a better time to expand into a fumbleball state.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tgd usually finds a way to twist things in a negative manner much like Perth bear does. I don’t think either is happy very often tbh lol
Being realistic about the state of reality isn't being negative.

You can't change things for the better if you refuse to accept you have a problem.