What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 108 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 115 51.6%

• Total voters

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Our bash and barge works against the weaker teams. Last night our first half was sensational. We need to continue that form if we’re a chance of top 4.
I still dont understand the alternative to whatever 'bash and barge' is or why 'bash and barge' is a bad thing.

You need forwards laying a platform in all games. How do they do that without 'bashing' and/or 'barging'.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All the for and against tells me is that Manly were good at beating up nuffy teams but didn’t have the class to compete with the top teams when it mattered.
Beating up nuffy sides is a sign of class. It’s why we so rarely do it. As for not beating top teams, no team should be expected to beat the teams better than them. If they do it means the better team was off their game. Obviously none of the top sides took Manly lightly last year.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
I still dont understand the alternative to whatever 'bash and barge' is or why 'bash and barge' is a bad thing.

You need forwards laying a platform in all games. How do they do that without 'bashing' and/or 'barging'.

im sorry Gary. If you can’t see the way we played last night, I can’t help you. And I’m not only talking about off loads.

yy_cheng

Coach
I just wonder how or who came up with the changes we made to our attack last night.

I wouldn't assume it was BA although it could well have been

We've seen how he sits the players down and talks to them after the game, and asks a lot of questions to the players to get feedback. Perhaps the leadership group or someone came up with a few ideas and discussed them with the bald one.

Whoever came up with these ideas did well and we need more of this.
Yup

The way lane was used is also how we should use matto and jnr close to the line.

There were tries last year where matto charges into the line in 10m zone or and pops a pass out

We should do that more.

The first half reminded me of 2009

lucablight

First Grade
Beating up nuffy sides is a sign of class. It’s why we so rarely do it. As for not beating top teams, no team should be expected to beat the teams better than them. If they do it means the better team lightly. Obviously none of the top sides took Manly lightly last year.
Beating up nuffy teams is a sign of attitude. Some teams are happy to just go through the motions against lesser teams (Gutherson even admitted as much by calling them “little games”). There’s a reason why the Eels were tipped by many to make the grand final this season whilst nobody talked about the Sea eagles even though both teams had mostly the same personnel.
Every team in a two horse race should expect they’re a chance of victory even if they’re playing a better team. Otherwise Grand finals would always be won by the favourites.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But Bull Terrier face said we do and he knew what was coming. I seriously dont like that bloke.
The inside balls from half to edge forward are a key part of our game. If we were less predictable it’s because the week before our halves got the ball too early and were facing a set defensive line. In that case there’s no good option for the half, but the inside pressure will make it look like the outside pass is the better option. Unfortunately this just results in a a lot of slow play-the-balls near the sideline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
but bash and barge isn’t going to work.
Paulo and RCG combined for 45 runs ffs. It was similar against the Panthers (41 runs) and Storm (40 runs).

Against the Tigers Paulo didn’t play but RCG only made 14 runs. Against the Dogs they made 25 runs between them. This isn’t a game plan issue or an effort issue. It’s the halves and hooker deciding to shift the ball far more often than they should.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our bash and barge works against the weaker teams.
It does work against the weaker teams if we actually use it. I’ve just shown you that we sometimes don’t. I’ve also shown that bash and barge also works against the top sides. At least, it does for us.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
im sorry Gary. If you can’t see the way we played last night, I can’t help you. And I’m not only talking about off loads.
I think you should watch last weeks game when you get a chance. You'll notice a distinct lack of bashing and barging compared to last night's match.

Gazzamatta

Coach
It does work against the weaker teams if we actually use it. I’ve just shown you that we sometimes don’t. I’ve also shown that bash and barge also works against the top sides. At least, it does for us.
Ever thought about getting your own Podcast mate. You would probably need an offsider though. Id suggest someone with a different perspective to your good self and not one of our Poo Wannabes. Once you decide your Podcast would need a catchy name.
Im sure we can come up with some offsider and Podcast name suggestions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You think Manly had a better roster than Parramatta last season?
Better suited to the ruck interpretation. They had the winning Origin halfback as well as the Dally M winner. If was a great environment for gun spine players last year. The was a lot more broken play than usual. Overall I’d say their roster is similar to ours, with a better spine but worse forwards. Under fast rules it will suit them better but a slower game suits us better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Beating up nuffy teams is a sign of attitude. Some teams are happy to just go through the motions against lesser teams (Gutherson even admitted as much by calling them “little games”). There’s a reason why the Eels were tipped by many to make the grand final this season whilst nobody talked about the Sea eagles even though both teams had mostly the same personnel.
Every team in a two horse race should expect they’re a chance of victory even if they’re playing a better team. Otherwise Grand finals would always be won by the favourites.
Well of course they should expect to be a chance. No team is up every week, including in the finals, and we saw that when we played Penrith. If we play our best and Penrith or Melbourne don’t we can beat them. It’s good incentive to play our best.

yy_cheng

Coach
The inside balls from half to edge forward are a key part of our game. If we were less predictable it’s because the week before our halves got the ball too early and were facing a set defensive line. In that case there’s no good option for the half, but the inside pressure will make it look like the outside pass is the better option. Unfortunately this just results in a a lot of slow play-the-balls near the sideline.
Totally and that's why rheed going isn't that bad. Api, cook, Harry, cam all suck in the defenders around the ruck. If the defender doesn't go for them, they scoot

Parra fires the ball to the halves who has to face a set defence

So hodgo could help us alot

Thats why when we get our middle half involved, I mean matto, it holds the defence up in the middle and then he offloads which thins the defence out wide

If matto keeps this up, he'll be better than yeo

Because he was a former half, his passing is so much silkier than nrowns

Did matto kick in his younger days?

If he can kick, like little grubbers, then we got him cheap

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ever thought about getting your own Podcast mate. You would probably need an offsider though. Id suggest someone with a different perspective to your good self and not one of our Poo Wannabes. Once you decide your Podcast would need a catchy name.
Im sure we can come up with some offsider and Podcast name suggestions.
‘Talking Pou’ featuring Poupou Escobar and Fanbase

Latest posts