What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncs game

kit66

Bench
I'm fearing bias and minimal rub of the green coming our way in this game. Every thing we do in both attack and defence will be looked at closely by the officials and anything minor will go against us. The media will have a field day rubbing it in.

Come on Dragons get us home in this one. We play the Broncs in the round at home so, if we can beat them at Suncorp, we will have a good chance to beat them again in Round 25.

We've got Grant Atkins this week, who's not a bad ref, he gave us a good run in the Souths game I thought. If it was a Sutton or Cummins this week I'd be worried. I do expect a lot of whistle blowing and sin bins in all games this week though, the media and some commentators have seen to that. F**krs.
Our boys always lift against the Broncs, our record is not too shabby against the Brizzie glamour team. Shame Hunt is out.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
You know what I hope doesn't happen , is if he does play Bud at 7 and he does make a mistake will that be it for him and we don't see him again ? If that's what happens then its on Hook for not having him on the bench this year ..... The young South half was shafted during the the game against us which I thought was a bit harsh on the kid as their whole team wasn't playing well , but credit to the coach and the young bloke , he was back in playing the following week ...... As I have said before , playing lower games does nothing to improve your game as it is a different game in many aspects ...... I know Ramsey has stepped up and happy for him and us , But to boot Sloan after the Sharks game and not see him again IMO not good , should have at least given him some time to work it out , If its to wait and bulk him up a bit then maybe , but if its to work on his game , then I don't see it helping ...... Anyway I for one hope that Bud has a blinder , the kid is tough as teak ......
The implication that Sloan was hard done by or our coach discards of youngsters after one game isn't right.

You're ignoring the fact that Sloan was given 5 games at the end of last season, four of which were at fullback if I remember correctly. He was then given an entire off season to work on his short comings (letting kicks bounce, positioning in defence etc). Sloan then had 3 games and was our first choice fullback to start the year, he has good moments with the ball in hand but showed he wasn't ready defensively. Finally he got his third chance on a rainy night at Suncorp against the Titans and made some horrendous errors defensively that cost us the game, including trying to trap foot a bomb.

So if I've counted correctly that's 3 seperate opportunities plus an entire off season at his preferred position, that tells me our coach has been patient with him in his development and has given him opportunities. If our coach is true to form Sullivan will get just as many opportunities or more and the onus will then be on him to show he is ready.

Fullback is one of the most, if not the most important position on the field, if a youngster shows he doesn't have the technical nous in the position then the answer is go and work on it in reggies, not to persist with them while they cost the team games with poor showings.

BBTB

Juniors
The implication that Sloan was hard done by or our coach discards of youngsters after one game isn't right.

You're ignoring the fact that Sloan was given 5 games at the end of last season, four of which were at fullback if I remember correctly. He was then given an entire off season to work on his short comings (letting kicks bounce, positioning in defence etc). Sloan then had 3 games and was our first choice fullback to start the year, he has good moments with the ball in hand but showed he wasn't ready defensively. Finally he got his third chance on a rainy night at Suncorp against the Titans and made some horrendous errors defensively that cost us the game, including trying to trap foot a bomb.

So if I've counted correctly that's 3 seperate opportunities plus an entire off season at his preferred position, that tells me our coach has been patient with him in his development and has given him opportunities. If our coach is true to form Sullivan will get just as many opportunities or more and the onus will then be on him to show he is ready.

Fullback is one of the most, if not the most important position on the field, if a youngster shows he doesn't have the technical nous in the position then the answer is go and work on it in reggies, not to persist with them while they cost the team games with poor showings.
Very well summed up.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Agree with what you said about Sloane. However, I think Sullivan has played quite well when given the chance in first grade. I remember he even scored the winning try against the tigpies. And a solo effort to boot. Then the poor kid was dropped the very next game for Andrew “the titanic” McCullough. How does that work?

Illusion

Bench

I understand what you are saying yes he had 4 games at fullback as you say and all was ok ..... He then has a bad game in the wet if I remember right against Cronulla as did the whole team , so he gets shafted instead of given a chance to bounce back the following week instead dropped and stayed there. ..... Respect your thoughts on it but I don't agree with it , should have given at least one more game to prove himself. ......

justadragon

Bench
I'm fearing bias and minimal rub of the green coming our way in this game. Every thing we do in both attack and defence will be looked at closely by the officials and anything minor will go against us. The media will have a field day rubbing it in.

Come on Dragons get us home in this one. We play the Broncs in the last round at home so, if we can beat them at Suncorp, we will have a good chance to beat them again in Round 25.
i for one Dave will not be going into this game with any phobia's and nor should our players. i refuse to be made to feel guilty over the raiders win, when i know if it was some high profile player from either the storm, chooks or panthers then they would have said it was a great play!!! it would be most unprofessional for the refs to even consider a square up on the Dragons, unless the square up is carried out across all the games, and if that happens i assume the media will be on a different warpath

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post👍

Smacka

Juniors
Agree with what you said about Sloane. However, I think Sullivan has played quite well when given the chance in first grade. I remember he even scored the winning try against the tigpies. And a solo effort to boot. Then the poor kid was dropped the very next game for Andrew “the titanic” McCullough. How does that work?
I'd rather not knock Sully around as a makeshift hooker. Let him shine as a half. B. Hunt can handle hooker because of his physique , Sully is too slight for that role.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'd rather not knock Sully around as a makeshift hooker. Let him shine as a half. B. Hunt can handle hooker because of his physique , Sully is too slight for that role.
Agreed. I don't think it's worth risking having him on the bench to come in and play hooker every game. Out of position and physically much more demanding. He's a half, not a hooker. He's also the smallest of the younger brigade.

Additionally, the plan has obviously been to make sure Amone and Ramsay are making progress - which, over the last month, they have shown great improvement. Better off not having a spine full of young players all trying to find their feet in first grade. Supplement them with experience and bring them in slowly one or 2 at a time.

kit66

Bench

Coming straight from Flegg to 1sts was never going to be easy for any of the kids. I agree that he needs some time in reserves against the big boys to hone his skills and defence but I also wouldn't be adverse to sticking him on the wing in games like this Broncos game, firstly for the experience and secondly for his speed and skill. If Feagai pulls up I'd rather see Sloan out there than Moga or Rueben both of whom have failed to impress - at least defensively, both having missed more tackles than they've made. I'm thinking of the future and the benefit to Sloan and the team.
If he wants to play fullback again though he'll need to really work hard to earn that prize.

kit66

Bench
I understand what you are saying yes he had 4 games at fullback as you say and all was ok ..... He then has a bad game in the wet if I remember right against Cronulla as did the whole team , so he gets shafted instead of given a chance to bounce back the following week instead dropped and stayed there. ..... Respect your thoughts on it but I don't agree with it , should have given at least one more game to prove himself. ......
He got dropped after the Titans game for a couple of important missed tackles and errors but no-one could hold their heads high after that game. His stats apart from the 4 missed tackles and errors were actually pretty good, 182 metres, 55 pcmtrs, 48 kick return metres, as good as any of Ramsey's efforts so far. He'll come good and if he can't get the 1 jersey might end up our next B.Morris but with more skill.

randomdragon

Juniors
Coming straight from Flegg to 1sts was never going to be easy for any of the kids. I agree that he needs some time in reserves against the big boys to hone his skills and defence but I also wouldn't be adverse to sticking him on the wing in games like this Broncos game, firstly for the experience and secondly for his speed and skill. If Feagai pulls up I'd rather see Sloan out there than Moga or Rueben both of whom have failed to impress - at least defensively, both having missed more tackles than they've made. I'm thinking of the future and the benefit to Sloan and the team.
If he wants to play fullback again though he'll need to really work hard to earn that prize.
do agree moga and Reuben aren't good enough however could you imagine sloan up against Jordan pereira? he would literally run over him. Sloan needs to be patient and work on his defence. Ramsey made a try saver on tapine that was so under the radar. He is a good defender

denis preston

First Grade
Agreed. I don't think it's worth risking having him on the bench to come in and play hooker every game. Out of position and physically much more demanding. He's a half, not a hooker. He's also the smallest of the younger brigade.

Additionally, the plan has obviously been to make sure Amone and Ramsay are making progress - which, over the last month, they have shown great improvement. Better off not having a spine full of young players all trying to find their feet in first grade. Supplement them with experience and bring them in slowly one or 2 at a time.
Stocky Bud is bigger than you think. Certainly more than Sloan & on par with Amone

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Yep fair enough, the way things are going with Ramsey making the position his own so far, it's probably fair to think Sloan's path forward first and foremost would be to work on his defensive deficiencies and then be prepared to be reintroduced to first grade on the wing.

justadragon

Bench
Just goes to show how poorly rated we are, with the broncos having a lot of players out both on SOO and injuries, all the tipsters having written us off along with the betting agencies, because we have Ben Hunt out, I hope all our forwards will really give it to them and set a platform for Sullivan and Amone to light it up. I for one cant wait to see us pump reynolds , because that will be the key. Go the saints !!!!!

Just goes to show how poorly rated we are, with the broncos having a lot of players out both on SOO and injuries, all the tipsters having written us off along with the betting agencies, because we have Ben Hunt out, I hope all our forwards will really give it to them and set a platform for Sullivan and Amone to light it up. I for one cant wait to see us pump reynolds , because that will be the key. Go the saints !!!!!
You will win

Latest posts