What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Judiciary & Match Review charges - 2022 season

Iamback

Coach
All the Broncos fans trying to defend their grub with their "but but but Cleary only got fined" only needed to read back 1 page to find out why their grub got suspended and others didn't.

Yeah looks pretty straight forward to me

Iamback

Coach
Think there needs to be two in the tackle for it to be considered a hip drop.

That is it.

What charge do you put a one on one tackle around the waist?

The 3rd man in has been an issue for atleast 10 years now

Frailty

First Grade

Frailty

First Grade
Oh look - another one on one hip drop that resulted in the player being charged and fined:

Do I need to keep going or are we willing to admit the 'at least two in the tackle' thing is an absolute fabrication?

Iamback

Coach
Can we stop pushing this narrative? It simply isn't true.

Tyrell Fuimaono was sin-binned and got a 5 week ban for this tackle earlier this season:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/6af02c6341012632af4d4dec80e4bf89

The NRL was going to crack down on multiple person hip drop tackles, but it's not a "only multiple person tackles are a hip drop" rule.

That is more a trip than a hip drop though.

How do you define a hip drop? Hard to stamp out when there is no actual description of it

Frailty

First Grade
That is more a trip than a hip drop though.

How do you define a hip drop? Hard to stamp out when there is no actual description of it
There is nothing like a trip there? Even by NRL rules it's not a trip (not a trip is a player has hold of a player).

Hip drop is simple - Where a tackler has hold of a player and then attempts to bring down the player by using their body weight (primarily through the hips) targeting the legs (knees and ankle of the opponent).

The lack of a description is part of the problem with the MRC as a whole - there is a complete lack of transparency in what constitutes each of the grades. It's easy to say "grade 3 is more severe than a grade 2" but they have never brought out any kind of criteria to define what makes it more severe.

This makes it really difficult for fans to have any kind of confidence in the MRC, but also makes it difficult on the players to challenge. How can players challenge when there is no apparent criteria to argue against.

Iamback

Coach
There is nothing like a trip there? Even by NRL rules it's not a trip (not a trip is a player has hold of a player).

Hip drop is simple - Where a tackler has hold of a player and then attempts to bring down the player by using their body weight (primarily through the hips) targeting the legs (knees and ankle of the opponent).

The lack of a description is part of the problem with the MRC as a whole - there is a complete lack of transparency in what constitutes each of the grades. It's easy to say "grade 3 is more severe than a grade 2" but they have never brought out any kind of criteria to define what makes it more severe.

This makes it really difficult for fans to have any kind of confidence in the MRC, but also makes it difficult on the players to challenge. How can players challenge when there is no apparent criteria to argue against.

That is Rugby League though. It very rarely can be Black and white

That Haze Dunster one for example, You have a faster back coming at a forward. As an outside back he would of done thousands of them his career.

Fauimaono would of made 100's of those tackles, Yet this time it went wrong.
The defender is always going to try and put the attacker on their back to give time to get the defensive line set.

So how do you stop those tackles in the game? Not sure you can. You can stop the Carrigan one though

Frailty

First Grade
That is Rugby League though. It very rarely can be Black and white

That Haze Dunster one for example, You have a faster back coming at a forward. As an outside back he would of done thousands of them his career.

Fauimaono would of made 100's of those tackles, Yet this time it went wrong.
The defender is always going to try and put the attacker on their back to give time to get the defensive line set.

So how do you stop those tackles in the game? Not sure you can. You can stop the Carrigan one though
There is literally no need for Fuimaono to turn his hip and leave his feet (much like my other example you have ignored). Regardless - he was suspended five games for that tackle (granted that was before the NRL decided to change the entire charge system after trial games). The kind of leveraging this tackle uses is something that they will teach at wrestling and BJJ classes. It's not a tackle technique.

I mean, my point still remains - you said multiple times a hip drop tackle is only with multiple tacklers, and I used two examples from this year to show you that this isn't the case.

Iamback

Coach
There is literally no need for Fuimaono to turn his hip and leave his feet (much like my other example you have ignored). Regardless - he was suspended five games for that tackle (granted that was before the NRL decided to change the entire charge system after trial games). The kind of leveraging this tackle uses is something that they will teach at wrestling and BJJ classes. It's not a tackle technique.

I mean, my point still remains - you said multiple times a hip drop tackle is only with multiple tacklers, and I used two examples from this year to show you that this isn't the case.

And that is why he was suspended But the point remains. Rolling someone on their back will never be illegal. Just stay on the ground when you do it

Frailty

First Grade
And that is why he was suspended But the point remains. Rolling someone on their back will never be illegal. Just stay on the ground when you do it
What are you watching? He isn't trying "roll him on his back" FFS

Iamback

Coach
What are you watching? He isn't trying "roll him on his back" FFS

Both the single tackles you posted the attacker ends up on their back.

What was the aim then? Let him hit the ground chest down to get a quick play the ball?

Frailty

First Grade
Both the single tackles you posted the attacker ends up on their back.

What was the aim then? Let him hit the ground chest down to get a quick play the ball?
They're literally just trying to get them to the ground.

Saifiti ends up on his side - not their back. Dunster is turned around on his feet back ends up on his front and falls back because of the injury.

Iamback

Coach
They're literally just trying to get them to the ground.

Saifiti ends up on his side - not their back. Dunster is turned around on his feet back ends up on his front and falls back because of the injury.

Getting them to the ground isn't enough, teams don't want to allow quick play the balls. So they get them down and roll them over.

The Carrigan one you can easily enough stop by having the 3rd man in. Not hit the legs.

The one on one tackles is harder due to lack of footwork of the bigger guys, Sure you punish the tackles that go bad outside of that. Not sure to define it

yobbo84

First Grade
Tatola always had his feet planted on the ground and simply grabbed Kennedy by the waist and dragged him to the ground. He didn't lose his feet (Fuimaono) or come third man in (Carrigan). It's unfortunate Kennedy got injured but absolutely zero wrong with the tackle. If you're going to charge that we may as well play OzTag.

Frailty

First Grade
Getting them to the ground isn't enough, teams don't want to allow quick play the balls. So they get them down and roll them over.

The Carrigan one you can easily enough stop by having the 3rd man in. Not hit the legs.

The one on one tackles is harder due to lack of footwork of the bigger guys, Sure you punish the tackles that go bad outside of that. Not sure to define it
Are you purposefully daft?

You make a claim that a hip drop tackle is only with multiple tacklers - I showed that this hasn't been the case.

You could have conceded that you were wrong. Instead, you say is it's hard to define - I gave a pretty clear definition.
You suggest that Fuimaono's tackle was more of a "trip" - but it wasn't by any measure

You suggest it was just a tackle to get them on their back - but neither player ended up on their back and I referenced it wasn't a tackle technique by a wrestling/BJJ leverage technique to get an opponent to the ground.

It's much simpler - the MRC are just incompetent and inconsistent with what they charge and that have benefited some teams over others.

Frailty

First Grade
Tatola always had his feet planted on the ground and simply grabbed Kennedy by the waist and dragged him to the ground. He didn't lose his feet (Fuimaono) or come third man in (Carrigan). It's unfortunate Kennedy got injured but absolutely zero wrong with the tackle. If you're going to charge that we may as well play OzTag.
Like I'd mentioned previously - I'm not even really suggesting his should be suspended. It was more in the context the Sharks lost a player for two weeks for a similar tackle (where his feet also stay grounded).

It's more frustration at the inconsistencies which has been directly impacting the Sharks this season more than any other team.

yobbo84

First Grade
Like I'd mentioned previously - I'm not even really suggesting his should be suspended. It was more in the context the Sharks lost a player for two weeks for a similar tackle (where his feet also stay grounded).

It's more frustration at the inconsistencies which has been directly impacting the Sharks this season more than any other team.
Nikora? He clearly lost both his feet. Tatola's right foot remains planted the whole time.

Frailty

First Grade
Nikora? He clearly lost both his feet. Tatola's right foot remains planted the whole time.
A4344287-F579-45DF-B189-AE2CAFEFB4B6.jpegA3580B2D-9741-415C-BF30-4A7CD2AEBE8F.jpeg
“He clearly lost both his feet”.

Reality: Nikita’s right foot is always in contact with the ground being dragged by momentum. His left foot comes up very briefly.

Also interesting to note is that Bromwich injured his left ankle and not the right that is under Nikora. Don’t believe he missed any games.

Latest posts