What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving the Grand Final

Perth Red

Post Whore
$150 ave a ticket x 60k ( assuming rumours of 20k held from sale is correct ) is $9m

Sponsors/officals save on airfares

Likely means you clear $6m-$7m from the $8m hosting fee.

So lets not pretend that the game gets nothing from NSW hosting it
He just mentioned they get a much better rental deal for Suncorp including a share of food and drink sales. Its not just about ticket sales or hosting rights payment.

Iamback

Coach
He just admitted the deal is on par with each other when you factor in stadium rental and $ offered, I am guessing they haven't given up going back to the table for Sydney stadium deals next year hence why they turned down Qlnds higher offer for 3 years. There is no doubt that open bidding would generate more cash for the NRL, but there's still stadiums to be sorted otherwise we are going to see some Sydney clubs left well behind in coming years.

Add the extra gate from NSW and is a no brainer, I expect they will win the 'bid' most years

Perth Red

Post Whore
Add the extra gate from NSW and is a no brainer, I expect they will win the 'bid' most years
all that would have been considered and it obviously comes to around $2mill difference plus whatever better stadium deal is worth. So anyone willing to bid $11mill plus a good stadium deal would trump this years NSW offer.

The Great Dane

First Grade
$150 ave a ticket x 60k ( assuming rumours of 20k held from sale is correct ) is $9m

Sponsors/officals save on airfares

Likely means you clear $6m-$7m from the $8m hosting fee.

So lets not pretend that the game gets nothing from NSW hosting it
Good job nobody said that...

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I'm just glad its sorted, I had credits for flights and accommodation from last years Origin that I rebooked in March!! Bit of relief today.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If it was a better deal, They would of taken it
Queensland wasn't afforded the opportunity to present a counteroffer, and the other states weren't even invited to bid... In other words, if this was a proper negotiation, instead of a rushed mess, then at the very least NSW would have been forced to pay significantly more for the rights.

Now I can forgive that for this year given the timeframe they had to get the deal done, however if the negotiations for future hosting rights are handled in a similar fashion then the NRL are incompetent fools.

Iamback

Coach
Queensland wasn't afforded the opportunity to present a counteroffer, and the other states weren't even invited to bid... In other words, if this was a proper negotiation, instead of a rushed mess, then at the very least NSW would have been forced to pay significantly more for the rights.

Now I can forgive that for this year given the timeframe they had to get the deal done, however if the negotiations for future hosting rights are handled in a similar fashion then the NRL are incompetent fools.

We had this discussion earlier, I can't see other States bidding
Given the capacity of Suncorp it limits tourist numbers, Then can't see how it is viable to go much higher

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the capacity of Suncorp it limits tourist numbers, Then can't see how it is viable to go much higher
Can guarantee WA would chuck more than NSW on the table for a once every few years GF. Our Govt is cashed up and loves big sports events. Optus can hold 65k. Its rumored we paid $20mill for the SOO, Test match and Nines combo back in 2016.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Can guarantee WA would chuck more than NSW on the table for a once every few years GF. Our Govt is cashed up and loves big sports events. Optus can hold 65k. Its rumored we paid $20mill for the SOO, Test match and Nines combo back in 2016.

Happy for this and hopefully a team over here soon, but GF needs to stay in Sydney. This whole shopping it around is a pipe dream, you have Accor or Suncorp (possibly Eden Park) as viable rectangular options. You dont want the GF being played on an oval.

Iamback

Coach

Happy for this and hopefully a team over here soon, but GF needs to stay in Sydney. This whole shopping it around is a pipe dream, you have Accor or Suncorp (possibly Eden Park) as viable rectangular options. You dont want the GF being played on an oval.

Which is why only QLD, NSW and NZ are viable options for this

Iamback

Coach

Different events though, Not sure the tourism is there to pay huge figures for the GF.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Then you're an idiot mate.

Victoria has expressed interest before, even had private bids express interest, and frankly would do it at a loss just as a portfolio piece and status symbol. Their only problem is that their offers have never been taken seriously by the NRL.

The suggestion that it wouldn't be profitable or financially viable for Qld, or the other states, to compete for the NRL GF's hosting rights is farcical frankly, but even if that is the case the NRL should still move to selling the rights yearly as the competition for the rights will still push their value up. It'd also become a valuable bargaining tool in infrastructure negotiations in the other states, which would be invaluable to the sport.

If the NRL were smart they'd block any city from hosting it twice in a row anyway, but that's a sperate discussion.

The Great Dane

First Grade

What incentive is there for the other states to invest in rectangular infrastructure if you're going to lock them out of almost all NRL content?

It's a catch 22 at that point; the NRL won't given them a team or any events because they don't have a rectangular stadium, and they won't build rectangular infrastructure capable of hosting such teams and events because the NRL won't commit to giving them the teams and events ahead of time.

Give states like Victoria, WA, and SA enough reasons and sooner or later they'll invest in rectangular stadiums capable of hosting the GF. It might take decades, but it'll happen, and if letting them host the odd GF at oval stadiums is a step in that direction then that can only be a good thing for the NRL, and sport as a whole, in the long run.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Different events though, Not sure the tourism is there to pay huge figures for the GF.
dont kid yourself, its as much about Govt justifying spending $2bill on a stadium and the kudos of hosting an event as much as the ROI from sport tourism. Origin brought across around 20k, I can see a GF doing same, or even better. Thats only 10k fans from each club.

Frailty

First Grade
Since moving to Melbourne, I've always committed to flying up to Sydney for the Grand Final should the Sharks make the Grand Final. The same condition would be apply if it were held in any other city.

I really like the idea of genuine bidding process on a year to year basis. It could really be good in supporting expansion to the non-traditional markets. Could you imagine if in 2024 the NRL announce the 2025 Grand Final will be held in Perth with a new Perth-based team to enter the competition in 2026?

Latest posts