What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Crush

Coach
How anyone could defend, in anyway, the complete trash we've produced on the field the last two years is beyond me...

Who gives a f**k about the board and the goings on at the administrative level. How does that effect the coach and his implementation of defensive and attacking strategies? It could be argued that our defence was on par with the worse teams in the competition this year, and our attack is as unstructured and as directionless as at any time in recent memory.

I'm not defending McGregor in any way at all, the guy was a terrible coach, but there were times he had our attack humming. And that was at a time when Hunt wasn't performing at the level he has for the last two years, and also at that time when we had to carry duds like Aitken and Lafai in the centres. Does anyone seriously think that those two are better attacking centres than Lomax and Suli? Of course they're not. But the difference is, now, we have two centres who aren't afforded any room in attack because the coach can't put together an attacking structure that provides them that room.

The apologists love to point to the board, the roster, the salary cap, the state of the team when Hook arrived blah blah blah. Does anybody seriously think that if we signed Bellamy or Robinson as our coach, you wouldn't see an immediate improvement on the field in the areas we have struggled with the last two years. I guarantee you wouldn't see teams charging straight through our middle and you wouldn't see us running from side to side like headless chooks when attacking the opposition try line, like we have the last two years. I guarantee our game plan would consist of more than just "get the ball to Ben" when on attack.

My gripe with the coach is for what we have produced ON THE FIELD the last two years. I forgave the first year, because i thought he would bring new ideas and a new structure to the team and the team would need time to adjust. But as Hook stated, he and the team worked extensively on our attack in the off season, and our attack this year has been absolutely pathetic.

That falls at Hook's feet, and all the excuses in the world won't change that...
Thanks for sharing, spot on, nothing to add, be55 1 - hook apologists 0

Parko1310

Juniors
Thanks for sharing, spot on, nothing to add, be55 1 - hook apologists 0
I think the thing with “hook apologists” as you’ve put it, is that they aren’t wanting him to stay on as coach. It’s undeniable how poor the team has been, but to not give hook any credit for the things that he has improved is short-sighted. We won close games this year we otherwise wouldn’t have won in the past. Hook is trying to build something in the long run, and although he won’t be here to finish what he started, he has got us creeping in the right direction in terms of winning more games, despite the performances which will get better in time with more recruits.

A lot of what is wrong with the club can’t be all put on hook, yet the media will rip into him no matter what. Love how they (and some in here) all preached how we need to be more careful with the mental health of coaches in rugby league after the Paul green tragedy, yet those same people are willing to absolutely rip and tear in any way possible even if it’s illogical.

SBD82

Coach
I think the thing with “hook apologists” as you’ve put it, is that they aren’t wanting him to stay on as coach. It’s undeniable how poor the team has been, but to not give hook any credit for the things that he has improved is short-sighted. We won close games this year we otherwise wouldn’t have won in the past. Hook is trying to build something in the long run, and although he won’t be here to finish what he started, he has got us creeping in the right direction in terms of winning more games, despite the performances which will get better in time with more recruits.

A lot of what is wrong with the club can’t be all put on hook, yet the media will rip into him no matter what. Love how they (and some in here) all preached how we need to be more careful with the mental health of coaches in rugby league after the Paul green tragedy, yet those same people are willing to absolutely rip and tear in any way possible even if it’s illogical.
Hook looks stressed by coaching.

For the good of his mental health, I think he should stand down and distance himself from the club.

Doust and Young look stressed too.

Old Timer

Coach

Nice post and well said

i Thought Hook would be ok and obviously got that wrong

However any criticism should be carefully measured and fair minded.

Just throwing names around ad hoc as to the coaches who can replace him is illogical and blaming the club for not getting those who were not available even more so.

IMO the club always had a new coach in mind for 2024 and I actually disagree with all the Deano conspiracy theories so they decided to renew Hook rather than get an equally non achieving coach for a 1 year stand.

We are in this position because they should have pissed Mc Fookknuckle off the year before they finally did.

There are windows to win comps, sign marquis players and get coaches and our BOD have f**ked up in all 3 areas on numerous occasions.

Sure our attack is limp and our defence abysmal and that is directly in the court of the entire coaching staff in all grades but by all means tell me which coach we didn’t get and the reason why we didn’t get him.

Crush

Coach

He’s got us creeping in the right direction? Bloody hell.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I would presume Hooks picks in the beginning of this year's team was to tick off his contract extension. Fair enough as you're not going to knock back a year's salary.

Once he achieved that, he should have reverted to the youth policy and get onboard and read the tea leaves with player relationships. As we have seen, happy players less negative press. Hunt's admission about the start of the year was unbelievable.

From what the club has said, it's going to be a rocky start of the season again Alas, what joy it's going to be.

Crush

Coach
Suggest you read what I said after that. “In terms of winning more games”. That’s just a fact, he won more games in 2021 than we did in 2020 and won more in 2022 than we did in 2021. Indisputable.
We always bounce around that 8-12 win mark, it’s not an evolutionary thing from Hook, next year it’ll likely be back to 8 wins, there is no creeping in the right direction, that’s just spin.
2017 - 12 wins
2018 - 15 wins
2019 - 8 wins
2020 - 7 wins
2021 - 8 wins
2022 - 12 wins
No evolution here, Hook doesn’t have us creeping in the right direction just like Mary didn’t.

since77

Juniors
Suggest you read what I said after that. “In terms of winning more games”. That’s just a fact, he won more games in 2021 than we did in 2020 and won more in 2022 than we did in 2021. Indisputable.
We won more games. So what? We were abysmal. Possibly the worst St.George team I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. No idea in attack, and utterly deplorable in defence. You’re delusional if you think the 2021 or 2022 Dragons were an improvement. We went backwards in terms of playing style, identity and heart, and it beggars belief that we could be even worse under Griffin than we were under McGregor. Only a miracle sees a reversal in that trend in 2023.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
No evolution here, Hook doesn’t have us creeping in the right direction just like Mary didn’t.
You're such a fair minded supporter though mate. Mary got 5 years of defence from you where as Hook got 5 games 🤣

Parko is right that in terms of wins we have improved season by season so far with Hook. Where as you've shown us, the team went backwards under your man McGregor, this is yet to happen under Hook so let's wait and see.

Out of all the posters on this forum your Hook critiques are the worst by a country mile. Either: 1) You go on a mindless ramble from seemingly nowhere.
2) You act as if you're making this great point that Mbye shouldn't have got game time then fail to respond to posts where people challenge you on it.
3) You make degrading comments about Hook's demeanour or intelligence which tells me you watch little rugby league as you clearly didn't see his dry persona when coaching Brisbane and Penrith. Obviously you must've mistakenly expected him to be this charismatic silver fox only to be bitterly disappointed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Seriously bro just give it a rest.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
We went backwards in terms of playing style, identity and heart, and it beggars belief that we could be even worse under Griffin than we were under McGregor. Only a miracle sees a reversal in that trend in 2023.
What metric are you using for that? Clearly we've won more games under Hook so far than under McGregor's last two seasons in charge so how are we worse?

The things you've mentioned (playing style, identity and heart) are all subjective and are not tangible in any sense.

Billeus

Juniors
You are sold? You think the club were wise to get Griffin?
What about the multiple players asking for release? The BBQ? Only 3 players turning up to end of year awards night? The pathetic football with paper thin defence?
Missing finals both seasons he’s been employed?
If anyone is still a fan of Hook at this stage they well and truly have their head in the sand. It’s over. It’s been a disaster of epic proportions. A catastrophic failure. The club has never been in a worse position. Hook has done a horrible job and will be sacked either before the the season starts or after a few rounds.
And his coaching career will be officially finished forever.
Seems your seeing the glass as half empty which can be a habit with many things. Saints obviously got Hook so he can build a team from within as Panthers did, if it took Gould almost a decade, five years longer than expected, with media allies to make life easier from the negative ' supporters ', obviously patience is required.
Armageddon is not yet upon us as there are positives with the development of our future in Ramsey, Amone, Feagai, with more to come and a centre of excellence on it's way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so sit back and enjoy the ride if you can.

Crush

Coach
You're such a fair minded supporter though mate. Mary got 5 years of defence from you where as Hook got 5 games 🤣

Parko is right that in terms of wins we have improved season by season so far with Hook. Where as you've shown us, the team went backwards under your man McGregor, this is yet to happen under Hook so let's wait and see.

Out of all the posters on this forum your Hook critiques are the worst by a country mile. Either: 1) You go on a mindless ramble from seemingly nowhere.
2) You act as if you're making this great point that Mbye shouldn't have got game time then fail to respond to posts where people challenge you on it.
3) You make degrading comments about Hook's demeanour or intelligence which tells me you watch little rugby league as you clearly didn't see his dry persona when coaching Brisbane and Penrith. Obviously you must've mistakenly expected him to be this charismatic silver fox only to be bitterly disappointed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Seriously bro just give it a rest.
Big night?

Crush

Coach
Seems your seeing the glass as half empty which can be a habit with many things. Saints obviously got Hook so he can build a team from within as Panthers did, if it took Gould almost a decade, five years longer than expected, with media allies to make life easier from the negative ' supporters ', obviously patience is required.
Armageddon is not yet upon us as there are positives with the development of our future in Ramsey, Amone, Feagai, with more to come and a centre of excellence on it's way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so sit back and enjoy the ride if you can.
OK, I’ll just sit back and enjoy the ride, good advice 🙄

brissiedragon

Juniors
We won more games. So what? We were abysmal. Possibly the worst St.George team I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. No idea in attack, and utterly deplorable in defence. You’re delusional if you think the 2021 or 2022 Dragons were an improvement. We went backwards in terms of playing style, identity and heart, and it beggars belief that we could be even worse under Griffin than we were under McGregor. Only a miracle sees a reversal in that trend in 2023.
Yep.
Ranked 1st in missed tackles - by a long way 932 for us next worst is Tigers with 835. That alone tells you how crap our defence was. Ranked 2nd in Line breaks conceded. Blame the defensive coach for those stats if you want but defence is all about attitude. Blame Hook for that.
And most of our attacking metrics are in the bottom half of teams for 2022

Dragon David

First Grade
Buzz Rothfield reports that one of the Dragons main sponsors, TripADeal, is urging the Dragons to support Hook. Full details unfortunately behind the paywall.

Can someone find out more details please?