What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Wb1234

Referee
Absolutely, you can 100% guarantee that there is talk in AFL HQ strategy meetings about how to capture SEQ and you can also bet your bottom dollar that now the long overdue second Brisbane club has arrived they know it is not good for them.

F#@k AFL, after we place our own seeds in Perth and Adelaide to grow for the long-term, put Brisbane 3 into SEQ to really screw them. It's not going to make the Lions or the AFL go away, but it will severely stunt their growth and make further expansion in SEQ virtually impossible for them.
It’ll make the lions and suns needs way more afl money to compete which will bleed them dry lol

our Brisbane clubs will be juggernauts

Pneuma

First Grade
Absolutely, you can 100% guarantee that there is talk in AFL HQ strategy meetings about how to capture SEQ and you can also bet your bottom dollar that now the long overdue second Brisbane club has arrived they know it is not good for them.

F#@k AFL, after we place our own seeds in Perth and Adelaide to grow for the long-term, put Brisbane 3 into SEQ to really screw them. It's not going to make the Lions or the AFL go away, but it will severely stunt their growth and make further expansion in SEQ virtually impossible for them.
100% correct. The afl can now only expand into unpopular markets that, like GWS, will cost an arm and a leg. We have multiple options many of which will make them squirm. Perth to start with imho.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’ll make the lions and suns needs way more afl money to compete which will bleed them dry lol

our Brisbane clubs will be juggernauts
Absolutely, whilst the NRL have chosen a financial powerhouse to join the wealthy Broncos in the comp, the AFL are handing out sh!t loads of money to two teams that look like they'll need it for a long time to come.

Pneuma

First Grade
And adding another basket case in Tasmania

and the arlc could’ve chosen easts who are almost as rich as the dolphins
Tasmania will be cost neutral as the government is giving the afl 8 million dollars a year for the pleasure of having a team. The afl does not want a team here so they’ve made sure the risk lies with the taxpayer 100%

Wb1234

Referee
Tasmania will be cost neutral as the government is giving the afl 8 million dollars a year for the pleasure of having a team. The afl does not want a team here so they’ve made sure the risk lies with the taxpayer 100%
With the giants and suns the amount of funding they require pretty much goes up every year

it’s a bet they will cost the afl a similar amount to the giants or suns

this is part of how the afl got more tv money with extra content

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolutely, whilst the NRL have chosen a financial powerhouse to join the wealthy Broncos in the comp, the AFL are handing out sh!t loads of money to two teams that look like they'll need it for a long time to come.
Dolphins will get $18million ish grant this year, GWS around $23.5million. Its hardly a massive gap! In fact the avg club grant for NRL clubs is quickly approaching the avg AFL club grant level.

AFL have a baseline distribution (2021) of $10.4mill, NRL will have one of $18milion ish this year.
Difference is they have a variable payment above the baseline payment depending on needs of club to create equity. They dont give lots of money to rich clubs in order that they can support clubs that have lower revenue streams.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I didn't say that a second or third Brisbane team for that matter would make AFL fans retreat or that it would even shrink the Lions' fan base. Not at all. But it absolutely makes any distant future hopes the AFL had of having two Brisbane teams a much tougher prospect and it also makes any further growth for the Lions difficult. There aren't that many AFL fans in Brisbane and with two Rugby League teams now, the casual sports fan who's preference leans towards RL but will go to the AFL if nothing else is on in town, now have a game every week to attend if they choose to and don't have to resort to the Lions.
So it is going to work like sunlight on a vampire and burn away all the people whom are naturally inclined to take an interest in Aussie Rules. . .

Those people aren't going to cease to exist because of peer pressure and airy-fairy bullshit about Brisbane being a "RL city" anymore than metalheads and country music fans are going to cease to exist because there's a greater variety of pop stars on offer at any one time.

Yes you can generalise about a population group, but preference is subjective, and in a population as large as Brisbane's there will always be sizeable groups whom prefer alternatives to the mainstream culture. It just is what it is.

The AFL is also a relatively new product to Brisbane, only having been around for about a generation and a half (arguably less than that). The mere fact that it's an option at all will probably lead to it taking a larger share of the market within younger generations, and it's impossible to truly know how the culture will adapt over time. For all we know RL in Brisbane could be some mismanagement and a bit of bad luck away from going into a steep decline that Aussie Rules, and/or other sports, could capitalise on.

Nothing is too big to fail so to speak, and if Baseball can go from 'America's favourite pastime' to a distant second behind Football with a couple generations then any sport can. Most would argue that it's been behind Basketball for at least a couple decades now as well, but I digress.

Wb1234

Referee
So it is going to work like sunlight on a vampire and burn away all the people whom are naturally inclined to take an interest in Aussie Rules. . .

Those people aren't going to cease to exist because of peer pressure and airy-fairy bullshit about Brisbane being a "RL city" anymore than metalheads and country music fans are going to cease to exist because there's a greater variety of pop stars on offer at any one time.

Yes you can generalise about a population group, but preference is subjective, and in a population as large as Brisbane's there will always be sizeable groups whom prefer alternatives to the mainstream culture. It just is what it is.

The AFL is also a relatively new product to Brisbane, only having been around for about a generation and a half (arguably less than that). The mere fact that it's an option at all will probably lead to it taking a larger share of the market within younger generations, and it's impossible to truly know how the culture will adapt over time. For all we know RL in Brisbane could be some mismanagement and a bit of bad luck away from going into a steep decline that Aussie Rules, and/or other sports, could capitalise on.

Nothing is too big to fail so to speak, and if Baseball can go from 'America's favourite pastime' to a distant second behind Football with a couple generations then any sport can. Most would argue that it's been behind Basketball for at least a couple decades now as well, but I digress.
Which planet is this in reference too ?

Pneuma

First Grade
With the giants and suns the amount of funding they require pretty much goes up every year

it’s a bet they will cost the afl a similar amount to the giants or suns

this is part of how the afl got more tv money with extra content
Can’t agree mate. The afl were never going to let them in without a business case that is cost neutral as this is an afl market. They will not be a financial basket case as they will be part owned by the government and the boys club from the government wants this team. It’s nice to wish but this is not a gws situation.

Wb1234

Referee
Can’t agree mate. The afl were never going to let them in without a business case that is cost neutral as this is an afl market. They will not be a financial basket case as they will be part owned by the government and the boys club from the government wants this team. It’s nice to wish but this is not a gws situation.
Time will tell I guess

I’m sure the afl didn’t think the giants or suns would’ve been this bad either but here we are

Pneuma

First Grade
Time will tell I guess

I’m sure the afl didn’t think the giants or suns would’ve been this bad either but here we are
The opposition down here to the club is because of the concern from the public that we are being taken for fools by the afl.

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe. You’d like that though.
When Perth get the nod probably this year I don’t think it’s going to change a lot for our future

I’m kind hoping it happens fast so I can look forward to the teams that will drive the game forward

if it were up to me I’d be going nz2 bris 3 then Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Earth. It must be hard for you to understand since things are so different from your home planet.

Everything I said in that post is an objective fact about reality. I honestly don’t know why people would pretend otherwise.
9 NRL clubs in Sydney can’t stop the Swans being the best attended sports club in the city. 9 AFL clubs in Melbourne can’t stop Storm having the biggest membership in the NRL.

It’s like he doesn’t understand different strokes for different folks lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I can see this club doing well which would be a good move by the afl and further hurt a Perth nrl team
A third AFL team in Perth would largely eat into the Eagles and Dockers for it’s fanbase, and end up as their poorer cousins.

If the Tasmania side actually gets up there’ll be a heavy push within the fanbase for Canberra, the NT (which is an insane idea BTW), or North Queensland to get the 20th license, but I reckon you’re probably right and the AFL will go with another side in Perth or maybe Adelaide.

The AFL doesn’t really want or need another expensive expansion project, and Perth would more or less pay for its self.
It doesn’t help that Canberra would be their only realistic option for expansion left in Australia, and that there’d be heavy resistance to a Canberra side internally at the AFL.

Wb1234

Referee
A third AFL team in Perth would largely eat into the Eagles and Dockers for it’s fanbase, and end up as their poorer cousins.

If the Tasmania side actually gets up there’ll be a heavy push within the fanbase for Canberra, the NT (which is an insane idea BTW), or North Queensland to get the 20th license, but I reckon you’re probably right and the AFL will go with another side in Perth or maybe Adelaide.

The AFL doesn’t really want or need another expensive expansion project, and Perth would more or less pay for its self.
It doesn’t help that Canberra would be their only realistic option for expansion left in Australia, and that there’d be heavy resistance to a Canberra side internally at the AFL.

gws will end up in Canberra especially with your govt being so pro afl they will build them a new stadium to move full time

Perth 3 for afl will be massive like brisbane 3 for the nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth won’t get another afl team until it’s well over 3 million population, if then. At moment despite a bigger stadium you still can’t buy an eagles membership without paying to be on a list for years. Dockers still have around 30-40% capacity before it’s memberships are sold out. They won’t put a northern perth team in for a very long time, if ever. Why? Because they dont need to! It adds nothing to what they’ve already got.

IF tassie get admitted, and let’s be honest the afl don’t really want them and are putting in As many hoops as they can to trip them up then it will be canberra next, if the act govt throws lots of money at it.

meanwhile we’ve got perth,a major city, ready to trot,
NZ2 to spread the international flavour of the comp,
firehawks if dolphins don’t end up being the brisbane2 we need
and Adelaide as a long term project.
Lots of potential for nrl, just need to realise it!

Latest posts