What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
I am not sure if this consideration has already been taken into account , however with young Cody his situation is different in as much as the lad has a illness and not a injury .

So this is definitely one instance where the NRL should show some compassion , once fully recovered he will resume his career with the Big Red V , but at least for season 2023 the Dragons should be able to have some form of salary cap relief .

More so when one considers the allowances made by them to some of the top of the ladder clubs .
No. I understand you are using illness as a plea but clubs will argue what is the difference to an injury or an accident that keeps a player out. They will say it is not even playing field.
There have been players fighting cancer which is arguably much more serious than Cody that don’t receive cap dispensation for the club if not medically retired. Luke Lewis etc
They are covered and looked after to a degree but if they are on contract the club still has to absorb that.
if it is a worthy argument don’t you think the media and our club would be all over it not just Dragon supporters

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Didn't the NRL postpone May's suspension due a semi and didn't want to devalue the game for fans.

Well, why can't they allow dispensation for our fans due to Cody being out for the year.
Well…May was allowed to play because that’s what the fans wanted 🙄

In all seriousness. The league couldn’t give a flying f**k about the dragons. We will never get anything to fall our way because we’re not one of the glamour clubs that the league want to win so they can pocket more $$$

Dragon David

First Grade
Well…May was allowed to play because that’s what the fans wanted 🙄

In all seriousness. The league couldn’t give a flying f**k about the dragons. We will never get anything to fall our way because we’re not one of the glamour clubs that the league want to win so they can pocket more $$$
F**k 'em.

Having the glamorous teams getting favourable decisions going their way has to be balanced by not so glamorous teams not getting favourable conditions and one of those teams is the Dragons. I see that our club has lost a lot of recognition of its brand and is not the drawcard for the Media money spinners.

There has got to be a time when all this is turned around for the Dragons and by crikey, it better be before my time on this planet is finished.

I just hate the build up of those glamorous clubs and the players that play for those clubs.

It is the same in so many other sports unfortunately, like the way Djokovic is getting special treatment by playing all of his games at night - draws more people to watch tennis on the Nine Network and providing higher advertising fees. It is business I guess and if you want to make money somebody has to suffer.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Didn't the NRL postpone May's suspension due a semi and didn't want to devalue the game for fans.

Well, why can't they allow dispensation for our fans due to Cody being out for the year.
The devalue of the game without Taylan May is a bit of a stretch and not quite the truth. They did do the fan thing "why should they suffer" which is also BS
the real reason they did it because the minor crime happened some time ago... nd so called court date on eve of finals. I dont agree with it but
They have just now set a precedent for an old "minor off field" indiscretions that people wont be punished for big games

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
F**k 'em.

Having the glamorous teams getting favourable decisions going their way has to be balanced by not so glamorous teams not getting favourable conditions and one of those teams is the Dragons. I see that our club has lost a lot of recognition of its brand and is not the drawcard for the Media money spinners.

There has got to be a time when all this is turned around for the Dragons and by crikey, it better be before my time on this planet is finished.

I just hate the build up of those glamorous clubs and the players that play for those clubs.

It is the same in so many other sports unfortunately, like the way Djokovic is getting special treatment by playing all of his games at night - draws more people to watch tennis on the Nine Network and providing higher advertising fees. It is business I guess and if you want to make money somebody has to suffer.
So what you're saying is, the Broncos are the Djokovic of the league, and we're the Wayne Arthurs of the league?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Penrith, Cowboys and to some extent Bronco's seem to do ok with their juniors so building squads on juniors works it is making sure you have the right coaching staff like Paten and Cleary to make it successful. Unfortunately the NRL and the Salary cap does not allow it to be more successful and allows teams like the Dogs who love to break up teams and take their juniors take advantage. They cater for those teams rather than the ones that do all the work.

Teams that have a great nursery of juniors should look for the best coaches to drive their team to success and can afford to chop and change each year or 2 if they are clearly not cut for it until they get the best coach. Saints persisting with these 3 bad coaches over the years for longer periods is extremely poor management especially when they are targeting bargain basement old has-beens. That is something teams that have no juniors should be doing not ones that have juniors on tap like Saints, Panthers, Cowboy, Tigers and the Broncos. Good on the Tigers for this next test of having a super coach in Sheens taking the reins for Benji to learn off. At least they are trying something different. Actually they are copying Souths with Bennett/Demitriou as that appears to be what they did and it is paying dividends. Dolphins are doing it now with Bennett/Wolfe. You can argue and say Bennett and Price did not work out but a year before they announced he was going we had no clue who was taking over. Price was given the job after Bennett left where as Benji and Wolfe have been told they will be next in line 2 years out.

BIG RIG

Juniors
So what’s the go with our current roster situation

Telegraph put out an article saying we got 1.5mill left to fill 3 spots , ( even though they kept saying 5 for some reason and included Amone and Ramsey )

are there any rumours about players been upgraded from within or anyone we are chasing

Dragon David

First Grade

Telegraph put out an article saying we got 1.5mill left to fill 3 spots , ( even though they kept saying 5 for some reason and included Amone and Ramsey )

are there any rumours about players been upgraded from within or anyone we are chasing
This is what Griffin said on SEN Radio recently -

Griffin conceded Ramsey and Amone are huge losses for the season but is adamant the Dragons’ list is stable.

"Our list is pretty stable – obviously we’ve got to fill three or four spots over the next month or two. We’ve got some internal guys that we can promote, but we’ve also got capacity within our cap.

"We’ve been really well-planned, so we’ve still got a lot of capacity and a couple of spots there. We will look at the market and be in there.

"It’s a little bit tight obviously with the Dolphins coming in, they have mopped up a lot of the talent that might normally be floating around at the moment...there’s always a deal to be done somewhere.

Gareth67

First Grade
Unfortunately the player cookie jar is all but empty , it is nice to know that there is approximately $1.5 mil. available , however are there any quality players available on the market ?

Griffin believes that we may yet still sign one or two , I sincerely hope so , but surely there would had been a murmur or two in the media by now ?

The Dragon’s saving grace may be a player from St.Helens , however that is a long shot at best . Should we manage to snare someone then this individual must be about 22 - 26 years of age , experienced and totally committed to playing his best football for the Big Red V , not some leech merely bleeding money from the club .

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

It will be both.. upgrades and puirchases. We have to end of March to have 28 or 29 in our squad.

Crush

Coach
This is what Griffin said on SEN Radio recently -

Griffin conceded Ramsey and Amone are huge losses for the season but is adamant the Dragons’ list is stable.

"Our list is pretty stable – obviously we’ve got to fill three or four spots over the next month or two. We’ve got some internal guys that we can promote, but we’ve also got capacity within our cap.

"We’ve been really well-planned, so we’ve still got a lot of capacity and a couple of spots there. We will look at the market and be in there.

"It’s a little bit tight obviously with the Dolphins coming in, they have mopped up a lot of the talent that might normally be floating around at the moment...there’s always a deal to be done somewhere.
“We’ve been really well planned”
Haha, that’s gold.

possm

Coach
If there’s only reserve graders around, can we just write off 2023 and spend that 1.5mil on front loading Hunts contract and then take $750k per year off his new two year deal? Then he’ll be a steal for 24/25 and we can start hitting the market hard now for 24
I'd be surprised if they haven't already planned to front-end some contracts for those staying on after the end of 2023.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If we do have $1.5m to spend in 2023 and a few spots minimum:

We may choose to go after 2024 players outside the club and simply pre pay some of our 2023 players that are contracted in 2024 or need to be re contracted for 2024 and bey9nd like Blake.

That would give us a significantly large pool of $ for 2024

Down side is we may see only average players coming onto our 2023 to fill a few spots

I'm sure we are going hard for a couple 2024 players with the view of can they also be released for 2023?

Sad part though is they probably don't want to come to the Dragons