What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

There you go, you’ve summed it up perfectly. Despite the fact we put a lot of money, time and effort in developing a host of players more recently say Crichton but because they are not signed up long term all good. No fee. No compensation, fair game. That in itself is a flawed system, major flaw and open to exploitation.
We have won two comps. Plenty of compensation for developing talent….

I am sure there isn’t a fan of another side with the least amount of sympathy for us; we are the best side because we are finally exploiting the natural advantage we get from having the largest nursery.

And if we did sign all our player we would be accused of rotting the cap.

I am sure there isn’t a fan of another side with the least amount of sympathy for us; we are the best side because we are finally exploiting the natural advantage we get from having the largest nursery.

In some respects we are now.

Little kids on the Penrith high street decked out in colours of blue and white…

And a number here continue to make excuses and pat the club on the back for doing so little to keep the smug era alive.

Some sort of weird community denial going on.

The good fortune with injuries you had last season is all but forgotten and you’re not a patch on your 2021 side.

With this kind of attitude, it’s little wonder Gus can do what he likes to you.

This is a crisis situation and you need to respond in kind.

The dogs need to get their grubby paws out of panthers affairs and they need to do it now.

People are making jokes behind your backs.

Kilkenny

Coach

We don’t necessarily have the largest junior nursery.

We May invest more into our juniors but there are numerous other clubs with very significant junior catchment areas including but not restricted to the likes of the Broncos, Knights, Cowboys, Titans etc. we hold an advantage over certain other Sydney based clubs who are certainly disadvantaged to a degree But there is absolutely to reason why the Dragons, Wests Tigers should not be developing at the same level as we are. TSP‘s side have the Balmain, Magpies, Campbelltown, Camden and Southern Highlands to draw upon that is a huge catchment area.

Nealo 12

Bench
Little kids on the Penrith high street decked out in colours of blue and white…

And a number here continue to make excuses and pat the club on the back for doing so little to keep the smug era alive.

Some sort of weird community denial going on.

The good fortune with injuries you had last season is all but forgotten and you’re not a patch on your 2021 side.

With this kind of attitude, it’s little wonder Gus can do what he likes to you.

This is a crisis situation and you need to respond in kind.

The dogs need to get their grubby paws out of panthers affairs and they need to do it now.

People are making jokes behind your backs.
Another Squid stinky stink up .

Kilkenny

Coach

A couple of years ago I was at Kirkham Park, Elderslie for the junior finals in the Camden District. I can tell you the numbers far exceeded anything I have seen at our own stadium for our own junior finals. How the West Tigers have failed to capture and capitalise on their huge junior nursery is staggering. I would suggest there overall numbers from there five junior districts must surely exceed our own by a significant margin .

Pomoz

Bench
I have said this before, the size of your catchment is irrelevant. There is nothing to stop a scout from Manly attending a St Clair Comets game and watching the kids play. There is nothing stopping them from signing a promising kid from the Penrith area. All it takes is effort and time.

There is no law requiring a kid in Penrith to sign with the Panthers. Yes, they may have to travel for training to Manly, but that can be arranged. The club could have a mini-bus and driver to pick up kids around Sydney for training sessions. They could hold training sessions in different parts of Sydney. Again, effort and time.

The only thing stopping Manly and others, is the kids wanting to get development at a club which is good at it. Would you tell your kids to go to the Panthers, Roosters or Cronulla, or Manly and the Dragons?

Nealo 12

Bench
I have said this before, the size of your catchment is irrelevant. There is nothing to stop a scout from Manly attending a St Clair Comets game and watching the kids play. There is nothing stopping them from signing a promising kid from the Penrith area. All it takes is effort and time.

There is no law requiring a kid in Penrith to sign with the Panthers. Yes, they may have to travel for training to Manly, but that can be arranged. The club could have a mini-bus and driver to pick up kids around Sydney for training sessions. They could hold training sessions in different parts of Sydney. Again, effort and time.

The only thing stopping Manly and others, is the kids wanting to get development at a club which is good at it. Would you tell your kids to go to the Panthers, Roosters or Cronulla, or Manly and the Dragons?
Back when my son was playing Manly sent a bus out to get the boys that didn’t make the Panthers Flegg sides

Kilkenny

Coach

Indeed the Roosters and other Sydney based clubs hold open trials, or they used to, inviting kids from our juniors who don’t make our Ball/Matts to trial with them. A good mate of mine, his son couldn’t crack a spot with the Panthers but after attending the Roosters open trials got a spot in their Matt’s side.

People are missing the key point I was trying to make; whether we have the largest or just a large catchment, and whether that is helpful for development or not, we have got compensation for developing a number of juniors through successive premiership successes. That is not to say we haven’t worked hard to develop them, but we have been rewarded through the most important success factor a football club strives for.

I personally am looking forward to the game when we run out with 17 players who have never played a game of first grade anywhere but Penrith; realistically our best starting side this year might have one second rower who has played elsewhere(?)

The artist forgot all the brown paper bags under Gus desk:

View attachment 69957

Once all the dust has settled with this shit, the first time will play the Dogs this year should be an absolute cracker. I hope it’s a home game.
I hope you’re right, but the dogs Panther campaign doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

Strategically, the dogs seem to be wanting results within the next few years. Instant gratification.

They should be cutting a swathe through your junior ranks as well to future-proof their impending success.

In many decades of fandom, never seen a raid on another club of this brazenness and brutality.

Fangs

Coach
Once all the dust has settled with this shit, the first time will play the Dogs this year should be an absolute cracker. I hope it’s a home game.

Can't wait for the Dogs/Penrith match.

Some of my favourite matches from the past have involved the Dogs. Unfortunately they have been shithouse for so many years so we have been deprived of quality football.

1675301124469.png

I don’t think the dogs pose any genuine threat to you this season other than perhaps send offs and injuries if emotions run high between individuals and the hype.

That said, I would expect the players maintain close and friendly relationships off the park.

Id be a bit miffed if I was a Panther who hasn’t been approached by Gus. It’s a bit disrespectful even if I wanted to stay.

Ivan puts a lot of emphasis on the team and group environment. We know that from countless interviews with players.

I think he should use the Bulldogs raids to bring the group together.

But I was thinking whether or not he should excuse critter etc from these bonding sessions.

There’s players like Edwards, superb and so loyal playing for unders and they need to be engaged properly.

Players and kids taking unders are the guts of your success as well as the superstars and they are entitled to a special reward as a group compared with the more mercenary.

The raid by the dogs, maybe you can really use that to good effect. That’s my point, taking into account the long and close relationships in existence in both camps.

As you know, I have a kind of contact in the player camp and I’ll try to see how it’s managed if I can.

He’s a loyal one.

I think it’s an interesting enquiry.

Ivan has his silly moments, makes mistakes, but he can also be very sharp. How will he manage this?

Last edited:

John Hamblin

Juniors
The artist forgot all the brown paper bags under Gus desk:

View attachment 69957

Once all the dust has settled with this shit, the first time we play the Dogs this year should be an absolute cracker. I hope it’s a home game.
The Bulldogs have bought well. They may get some short time results BUT they have not signed a gun playmaker who can steer them around the part and ice the big moments.