What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee
Care to elaborate?
How will rl overtake union when the revenue gap between the two codes is so massive? it’s a nonsense argument, can rl grow?
Absolutely it can, it’s primed to. But it would need a pretty radical strategy and a major investment of funds to make It happen. I havent seen indications of either from the arlc and nzrl simply doesn’t have the money to do anything more.
Maybe because the nrl tv deal is currently three times the value of the total tv deal super rugby receives I Australia and nz you dope

and it’s going up soon by another 100 million plus (which isn’t far off the total value of the super rugby deal)

super rugby is going to get squashed like a bug

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've never once lauded the development and pathways that RL has in place in Tonga or Samoa so don't make shit up to suit your story. The pathways are only now just being looked and and will take many decades but at least it is starting to happen, no matter the selfish reasons the NRL are doing it, it will still grow the game and other international sides.
I literally never said that you did... So who is the one making shit up exactly?

You do however laud international RL sides like, e.g., Samoa and Tonga as great successes, when both are utter embarrassments compared to Japanese, Argentinian, Georgian, etc, RU.

You're a hypocrite at best mate, and you'd be best to leave the discussion at that.
I'd encourage you to look through the full squads of quite a few 'top' international RU sides. You will be shocked what you find. Again, good on those players, they are eligible, but I'm not coping this BS story that RU is so global that most teams are made up of ring-ins and PI's make up 20% of the global RU player pool still.
As bad as it gets in RU, none of them are as bad as the top RL sides outside of AUS, NZ, ENG, FR, PNG, and arguably Fiji.

So again, who is the one making up BS stories again.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Care to elaborate?
How will rl overtake union when the revenue gap between the two codes is so massive? it’s a nonsense argument, can rl grow?
Absolutely it can, it’s primed to. But it would need a pretty radical strategy and a major investment of funds to make It happen. I havent seen indications of either from the arlc and nzrl simply doesn’t have the money to do anything more.
Unless.. I don't know.. got another team.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Yawn, stop making it about race. It is about RU and their BS that this is a real Japanese team, developed from that ''mighty'' Rugby country Japan. It's not, it's a bunch of mercenaries pulling on the Japanese shirt. Like I've said, and I won't keep repeating it. Great for them and for Japan, they are eligible under the rules, but they aren't products of the Japanese Ruby system. The team is a joke.

You're a hypocrite, plain and simple. A team which is 70% Japanese is bad, yet a team that is LEGALLY only 5% tongan and 8% Samoan is good.

Unless.. I don't know.. got another team.

And now its gone full circle. Back to the argument that your perceived Super Rugby decline is evidence that a second NZ NRL team will "deal a massive blow to NZ Rugby". While ignoring all the evidence that you are talking out your arse.

Facts:
SkyTV pays NZR about $100 million a year for Rugby, Not for Super Rugby, for Rugby.
SkyTV Due to SparkSports bid, is currently pays about $30 million for the NRL AND SoO. This will go back down when the next rights are negotiated. To say otherwise paints you an idiot.
NRL, non warriors, games rate about 50K viewers.
Warriors games used to rate about 150K and maxed 250K. As of last year they didn't even make that threshold. (ThinkTV link shows that.)
Super Rugby still rates from 150-500K depending on the game.
All Blacks rate 500k-1.5Mil. Lasts years Bledisloe was the highest rating game of sport.
Black Ferns rated 1.4Million last year.
There are currently no bids from NZ for a team. Even Chalmers has gone quiet.

Although its a moot point anyway. There is next to zero chance that NZ2 will be done. Australian Broadcasters will see no value in it over Aussie teams and SkyTV wont pay for it.

Matua

Bench
And your failure to answer my question as to the actual ratings for super rugby is a huge red flag

there are a load of links which talk about the warriors tv ratings
There's enough information in those links to reach a conclusion with a bit of critical thinking, you're ignoring it as it doesn't match your conclusion.

Also, the bold is hilarious considering you claimed this with no evidence whatsoever:

when the warriors did well they match the all blacks ratings forget about super rugby

the reports I’ve read say the league ratings are excellent
Where are these reports?

Matua

Bench
So no link 🤷‍♂️

So let's look at what we do know.
Super rugby ratings were falling well before covid and the withdrawal of SA
Before the All blacks started underperformed.
They're getting bad crowds and interest is falling fast.
Rugby league ( the numbers we have) are going through the roof! Both crowds and TV ..

The picture is pretty obvious .

20 year old links are a safe place for Union fans, 2023 not so much.
You need to re-read the post your responded to.

Why do you say "the numbers we have" - you don't have the numbers for the Warriors, or the NRL in NZ. You're making shit up constantly. If you do have official numbers then post them.

Also, the 20 year old llink was pertinent as it was a time when the Warriors got close to AB viewership, I was helping Wb along with his claims that the Warriors match the ABs.

Wb1234

Referee
There's enough information in those links to reach a conclusion with a bit of critical thinking, you're ignoring it as it doesn't match your conclusion.

Also, the bold is hilarious considering you claimed this with no evidence whatsoever:

Where are these reports?
Super rugby tv ratings ? You went Mia

Gobsmacked

Bench
You need to re-read the post your responded to.

Why do you say "the numbers we have" - you don't have the numbers for the Warriors, or the NRL in NZ. You're making shit up constantly. If you do have official numbers then post them.

Also, the 20 year old llink was pertinent as it was a time when the Warriors got close to AB viewership, I was helping Wb along with his claims that the Warriors match the ABs.
There's a lot that's happened since!!!
None of them good for RU !
Lots good for league!
Isn't rocket science 🤦‍♂️

Gobsmacked

Bench
Let's break things down since we last got any proper numbers out of NZ
The last time we had numbers 20 years or so ago, the Warriors were doing pretty good. Not beating but certainly in the same frame as the All blacks when they were featuring in finals. Which is astounding because they are just a club side!!!

Super rugby was abandoned by South Africa.
The Wallabies have declined .
The All blacks have declined.
Crowds have declined.
And the ratings we have received are in free-fall !

In that same time NRL is booming, smashing ratings! Adding teams, getting better Crowds! and closer competition!

Te Kaha

First Grade
The last time we had numbers 20 years or so ago, the Warriors were doing pretty good. Not beating but certainly in the same frame as the All blacks when they were featuring in finals. Which is astounding because they are just a club side!!!

Crowds have declined.

In that same time NRL is booming, smashing ratings! Adding teams, getting better Crowds! and closer competition!

Or in other words, Twice in 27 years, a League team has got close to All Blacks TV figures in NZ. The last time being years ago. And you are crowing about that? Yet, according to ThinkTV figures the biggest sporting events in NZ, only last year, where All Blacks and Black Ferns games. League didn't even rate a mention.

You're weird.

Gobsmacked

Bench

Crowds have declined.

Imagine..after all that.. BOOOM !
NRL announced a new team in NZ!
What a blow!

Vibing

Juniors
Toffball apologists can't seriously be denying their shit sport is seriously struggling from one end of the pacific to the other ??

if they are
that .. is funny as eff

Its near irrelevant in Australia.
Not much better anywhere else LOL

Wb1234

Referee
Toffball apologists can't seriously be denying their shit sport is seriously struggling from one end of the pacific to the other ??

if they are
that .. is funny as eff

Its near irrelevant in Australia.
Not much better anywhere else LOL
Not doing much better in England either

clubs are going broke all the time and they owe the tax man over 50 million pounds in unpaid loans and debts

Matua

Bench

Crowds have declined.

It really doesn't matter if the NRL is booing, smashing ratings in Oz, this thread, which you started is about NZ.

The reality is that everything you've posted in your little list there is balanced out by the fact that the domestic game of league is dead in NZ, the NRL in it's totality in NZ has less viewers than the 3rd string rugby comp which runs for less than half the period, and the Warriors are less supported than you wishy in your heart of hearts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
$308mill to $8.8mill (plus warriors funding) revenue difference between the two codes. Until that changes NOTHING changes in NZ.

Matua

Bench
cmon back your claims

don’t try and duck away
I posted a link which showed the viewership of the various sports in NZ, including Super, meanwhile you have not posted anything to back up your claims (despite the fact I helped you out by posting a link for you of when the Warriors nearly got the same viewership as the ABs).

Latest posts