What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamback

Coach
It’s called buy-in. It’s the TV version of the sunk cost concept. The more you watch something, like say the first half of a football match, the more likely you are to see it through to the end. That’s why 9 used to jump straight into the kickoff of the delayed game on Fridays after the live game finished. They knew that if people stopped and looked up the result they wouldn’t watch. But if they hook them for fifteen minutes etc, even though it’s a delayed game they’ll avoid looking up the score and watch the rest. The problem is 9 are losing viewers in that half hour pregame period, so they’re not buying in.

Then blow out games wouldn't lose viewers.

Unless it is close then people will tune out and catch the score

Wb1234

Referee
Does this regularly. Goes off topic then calls everyone else out on it. He’s a rather large sook.
Ngl he’s making me laugh a bit I don’t mind him

it’s not like your arguing with someone who knows a lot about league so it’s always an easy win

Wb1234

Referee
Well that’s the idea. As to whether 9-Stan get everything will come down to dollars. 10-Paramount will be doing similar. It will be interesting who Foxtel partner with. 7 will be looking at 9’s sublimation to Foxtel with NRL rights with great apprehension. Foxtel may even find themselves going alone on the first bid and hoping that they can lure NRL enough with initial $$$ to encourage a negotiation with a FTA broadcaster to keep the current status quo.
If foxtel face any competition for their rights nrl will get a massive pay day imo

docbrown

Coach
Then blow out games wouldn't lose viewers.

Unless it is close then people will tune out and catch the score
I get what you’re saying but you also have to understand I’m literally describing a well known television concept that anybody in the industry will tell you is very much real. So I hope we can at least agree that buy in is a very real phenomenon.

Yes, people will tune out during blow out games. No one is saying that the concept of buy in will totally over power poor game quality in all cases.

Buy in is about reducing the amount of time people have to wait before the action starts so they don’t start changing channels. For example, drama shows have things called cold opens. You get a viewer watching that first three minutes straight into the action (think of any crime show where they find the body) and viewers are more likely to stick through the rest. They’re also called hooks because you hook the audience to watch the rest.

The greatest hook the NRL has isn’t some old footy player waffling for 30 minutes. It’s actually the kickoff itself.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
What do we think is realistic to pay for NRL streaming $25 a month?

I think $500m atleast the next TV deal.

that is a lot of subs, Particularly as you need quality content outside of NRL to keep them
Yea $25 seems to be what people are willing to pay with Kayo. Though Stan includes other media. So might be looking at multiple packages depending on what content people want.

$500 mil is a starting point for the next deal. We know what these corps are willing to pay now. We also know league is dominating the streaming space. A package deal to Nine/Stan or Ten/Para could make either sustainable through the halo effect. It's also questionable how Fox can survive with only one of the major sports and no FTA. Ultimately competitive tension is what we need to get our true value.

taipan

Referee
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head!
We invest $20mill in an asset they invest $200mill in asset. Why? Because they have a bigger revenue.
Grassroots spending For NRL in 2022 $70.3mill. Down $18mill compared to 2019.
1) You stated we aren't buying assets , we did as stated before & now with the pub.
2) Spending was down in 2022 to reduce costs, and yes grassroots and refs. and other areas ATT took a hit ,but in doing so laid a basis for future financial growth on a short term lower cost base .
Comparing pre COVID 2019 to 2022 doesn't help. Far different conditions.
Crapping on comparing their investments is futile. We decide our destiny not the AFL.They spend a king's ransom on GWS & the Sunburns and their impact certainly in NSW is laughable and for the Sunburns not much better.

We spent money shoring/buying up the Titans and the Knights when they were in deep shyte. Money that perhaps would have been available for grassroots and/or assets down the line.

Remember ch9 hardly goes overboard promoting the NRL, compared to 7 which treats the AFL almost as a parent company. 9 at times are slimy stab you in the back types , (the home of rugby league LOL) wanted a slice of the AFL and helped push up the AFL deal.
We now have an opportunity thanks to the Dolphin's initial impact , re interest, crowds,Tv RATINGS, merchandise sales to boost profitability both in the short and long term.
Dwelling on the past, AFL(as you continually do)is not going to add $1 profit to the NRL. You gotta be a doer not a watcher.
We're getting the TV ratings to where we want them ,that provides the base for the next TV deal ,which if we have 18 teams ratings will get a further uplift.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I get what you’re saying but you also have to understand I’m literally describing a well known television concept that anybody in the industry will tell you is very much real. So I hope we can at least agree that buy in is a very real phenomenon.

Yes, people will tune out during blow out games. No one is saying that the concept of buy in will totally over power poor game quality in all cases.

Buy in is about reducing the amount of time people have to wait before the action starts so they don’t start changing channels. For example, drama shows have things called cold opens. You get a viewer watching that first three minutes straight into the action (think of any crime show where they find the body) and viewers are more likely to stick through the rest. They’re also called hooks because you hook the audience to watch the rest.

The greatest hook the NRL has isn’t some old footy player waffling for 30 minutes. It’s actually the kickoff itself.
Yep. I'm a "rusted on" fan and watch most games but I never watch the pre game. If they can't hook me why would the regular viewer listen to talking heads waffle on for 30mins. Quick rundown of teams/history then straight into the game.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Just posted by someone else
Despite most of that article making me want to vomit, telling us how good channel Nine is and literally taking credit for all the good things that are happening in League this year there was a telling quote right at the end, this is where it gets interesting for us.

Simon Fordham, Nine`s Head of Strategy for Wide World of Sport (WWOS):

Fordham: “Our aim now is that any sports rights deal we do is all rights, all platforms, and exclusive where we can. We house those across linear channels, our streaming channels with 9Now, our subscription streaming platform Stan, radio, and mastheads.

“That is what we’ve done with the Olympics – the Olympics deal is all rights, all platforms. Our Australian Open tennis deal is all rights, all platforms. Rugby League is probably the only deal at the moment in our stable that isn’t all rights, all platforms – but in saying that, when the last subscription rights deal was done for rugby league, Stan Sport didn’t exist. I would say it’s definitely something we’ll look at for 2028.”

Bring on the next deal.

Wb1234

Referee
Despite most of that article making me want to vomit, telling us how good channel Nine is and literally taking credit for all the good things that are happening in League this year there was a telling quote right at the end, this is where it gets interesting for us.

Fordham: “Our aim now is that any sports rights deal we do is all rights, all platforms, and exclusive where we can. We house those across linear channels, our streaming channels with 9Now, our subscription streaming platform Stan, radio, and mastheads.

“That is what we’ve done with the Olympics – the Olympics deal is all rights, all platforms. Our Australian Open tennis deal is all rights, all platforms. Rugby League is probably the only deal at the moment in our stable that isn’t all rights, all platforms – but in saying that, when the last subscription rights deal was done for rugby league, Stan Sport didn’t exist. I would say it’s definitely something we’ll look at for 2028.”

Bring on the next deal.
Reality is stan won’t get it but they will force foxtel into paying way more than otherwise

We should be aiming for a deal of 600 million pa or a rise of 170 million pa on the current deal

that would see a salary cap over 15 million and would see rugby league running a train on rugby union

Colk

First Grade

Bring on the next deal.

Hopefully they lose it. In a perfect world both Foxtel and Nine would lose it. But that’s probably not going to happen.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Haven`t seen his mentioned anywhere else, so I`ll throw it in here just for interests` sake. Lachlan Murdoch seen in the Broncos` sheds before kick-off last week.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Reality is stan won’t get it but they will force foxtel into paying way more than otherwise

We should be aiming for a deal of 600 million pa or a rise of 170 million pa on the current deal

that would see a salary cap over 15 million and would see rugby league running a train on rugby union
Yea I'm leaning towards fox's business model not being sustainable without both sports. With both Nine and Ten having attached streaming services you have to wonder what fox can offer. Ten/Nine may not be interested in a non package deal and the recent article suggests just this. So that leaves fox having to bid stupid amounts to counter act the lessened interest for the FTA component. In a wishful thinking scenario we go with one of the streaming/FTA combos and Fox are left figuring out how to pay for the AFL.

Wb1234

Referee
Yea I'm leaning towards fox's business model not being sustainable without both sports. With both Nine and Ten having attached streaming services you have to wonder what fox can offer. Ten/Nine may not be interested in a non package deal and the recent article suggests just this. So that leaves fox having to bid stupid amounts to counter act the lessened interest for the FTA component. In a wishful thinking scenario we go with one of the streaming/FTA combos and Fox are left figuring out how to pay for the AFL.
Fox losing the nrl would give me joy for super league

I actually think they couldn’t survive on afl

I just can see fox letting rugby league ever go

Wb1234

Referee
That's why I called it wishful thinking. Fox going belly up and AFL not getting paid is an unlikely situation.
If they did lose the league I doubt fox would be profitable or it would take a massive hit on profitability

news ltd would cover it either way but it was worth a few billion as an asset and without the league probably not even half that

a big chunk of their subscribers would be gone overnight to Stan or paramount

Iamback

Coach
Yea $25 seems to be what people are willing to pay with Kayo. Though Stan includes other media. So might be looking at multiple packages depending on what content people want.

$500 mil is a starting point for the next deal. We know what these corps are willing to pay now. We also know league is dominating the streaming space. A package deal to Nine/Stan or Ten/Para could make either sustainable through the halo effect. It's also questionable how Fox can survive with only one of the major sports and no FTA. Ultimately competitive tension is what we need to get our true value.

I pay that for Kayo but have F1, Cricket, US Sports etc as well.

There will be but you overpay for NRL and that is less you can pay for other content.

Kayo alone couldn't survive but in partnership with Foxtel you can, That is why it gets slammed with ads and cross promotions.

Iamback

Coach
If they did lose the league I doubt fox would be profitable or it would take a massive hit on profitability

news ltd would cover it either way but it was worth a few billion as an asset and without the league probably not even half that

a big chunk of their subscribers would be gone overnight to Stan or paramount

you also have half a billion less a year in costs too though

Status
Not open for further replies.