What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its funny that he thinks the Tigers, who basically are a identical replica of the Dolphins, just in a better location, are any different to what the NRL decided on. The decision was influenced by News ltd on what would have least impact on Broncos. The fact it will have least impact shows why it wasn't the best decision, probably.

I think the 18th team will be either Perth or a Second NZ Team. They want to branch into new markets to attract more eye balls - FTA and Pay TV - so they can extract more money out of FTA and Pay TV

A 3rd Brisbane based won't increase viewership - same number of folk watching will still be watching - just more games they can watch involving QLD Teams.

Then you can have the 2 conference system of 9 teams - either a cross over conference finals series and or a finals series in each conference and the two conference winners then play off super bowl style.

The beauty of the conference system is that all teams in each conference will play the same teams the same number of times.

No hard or easy draws.

Have to get an 18th team ASAP to get rid of the bye which is ridiculous in it's allocation - teams having their second bye when some teams haven't even had their first bye.

On another post someone was saying Both Brisbane and Souths will have their first bye in Round 16 - Titans will have had their third bye in round 16.

Ridiculous also that teams are playing other teams a second time without playing all teams once.

A Proper home and away/ away and home draw as well - not this play 2 or 3 home games in a row and then 2 or 3 away.

Mate, why would the Australian broadcasters want NZ2?

The Warriors are the least viewed team on Foxtel and Ch9.

The New Zealand broadcasters don't want NZ2 because the Warriors don't draw great ratings.

Spark Sport is dead. That means there will be zero competition to drive up the value of the next NZ broadcast deal.

Ch9 will want the 18th team to be from Brisbane because it'll increase the amount of Brisbane vs Sydney games they can air each round.

The Broncos appeal is all over Brisbane and where there pokie den is located is irrelevant to that.

The Lions put a pokie den on a block of land that they purchased, they are not a "south Brisbane" team because of that.

A teams pokie den location has no bearing on fan support.

It would be good if you and @Colk bothered to do some actual research before talking about subjects you know nothing about.

The Brisbane Lions never "purchased" the site at Rochedale South that is home to Lions@Springwood Social Club. They acquired a lease for the building that used to house the Logan North Library until its relocation down the road to Sports Drive. This happened around the time Ikea decided to relocate to the Logan Mega Centre on the Pacific Highway. Amart took over the building space that previously housed Ikea.

I know this because I've lived in the area for over 20 years!

Don't take my word for it. Go look at p13 of the Brisbane Lions 2022 Annual Report:

Westpac has provided a guarantee in the amount of $325,278 (2021: $325,278) to the landlord of the LIONS@springwood Social Club to satisfy the Company’s obligations under its lease to lodge a rental bond.

The social club used to be based 200m from the Gabba.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
It would be good if you and @Colk bothered to do some actual research before talking about subjects you know nothing about.

The Brisbane Lions never "purchased" the site at Rochedale South that is home to Lions@Springwood Social Club. They acquired a lease for the building that used to house the Logan North Library until its relocation down the road to Sports Drive. This happened around the time Ikea decided to relocate to the Logan Mega Centre on the Pacific Highway. Amart took over the building space that previously housed Ikea.

I know this because I've lived right next to the site for over 20 years!

Don't take my word for it. Go look at p13 of the Brisbane Lions 2022 Annual Report:

Westpac has provided a guarantee in the amount of $325,278 (2021: $325,278) to the landlord of the LIONS@springwood Social Club to satisfy the Company’s obligations under its lease to lodge a rental bond.

Purchased, leased.

Same Dog, different leg action.

My point still stands, this doesn't suddenly have them gain supporters in the South.

Colk

First Grade

I know this because I've lived in the area for over 20 years!

Why am I getting thrown into this discussion. Is it because I don’t agree with you about adding another Brisbane team straight away?

Why am I getting thrown into this discussion. Is it because I don’t agree with you about adding another Brisbane team straight away?
Because you "Liked" the troll's post, despite the fact he spoke a whole lot of shit.

I can understand the concern about adding a third team "too soon", but I also think it's a bit exaggerated. You defend Sydney having nine clubs, despite the annual reports from the clubs proving my point that some of them only generate half as much revenue from football operations as the Broncos and Cowboys. Dolphins are earning more from sponsorship than any Sydney club, yet you're death riding Brisbane 3. There's no evidence that Brisbane cannot support a third team within the next few years.

Colk

First Grade
Because you "Liked" the troll's post, despite the fact he spoke a whole lot of shit.

I can understand the concern about adding a third team "too soon", but I also think it's a bit exaggerated. You defend Sydney having nine clubs, despite the annual reports from the clubs proving my point that some of them only generate half as much revenue from football operations as the Broncos and Cowboys. Dolphins are earning more from sponsorship than any Sydney club, yet you're death riding Brisbane 3. There's no evidence that Brisbane cannot support a third team within the next few years.

It’s not so much defending it, as just understanding the reality of the situation.

Sydney probably has too many sides but that isn’t going to change. The game needs to look outside of NSW and QLD so I guess that leads to that conclusion.

Also, I’m not against a third side in Brisbane per se I just think they should wait to see how the Dolphins go first and heed the mistakes of the past

MugaB

Coach
It’s not so much defending it, as just understanding the reality of the situation.

Sydney probably has too many sides but that isn’t going to change. The game needs to look outside of NSW and QLD so I guess that leads to that conclusion.

Also, I’m not against a third side in Brisbane per se I just think they should wait to see how the Dolphins go first and heed the mistakes of the past
Oh look out i just "liked" your post colk...
Potato counting fkwt at it again i see

Why wait?

The Dolphins are financially viable. They have a retail complex generating revenue and strong corporate support. Their fans will mostly be from the Moreton Bay area.

Waiting 10 years is just a waste of time.

Brisbane has been under served for 35 years. It's an insult to say it should continue to be under served for the sake of expansion into new frontiers while Sydney has more teams than it can financially support. We've made more sacrifices than anything else, yet the entitled people from New South Wales who've sacrificed nothing demand we give up even more. I'll never agree to that.

Bukowski

Juniors
Why wait?

The Dolphins are financially viable. They have a retail complex generating revenue and strong corporate support. Their fans will mostly be from the Moreton Bay area.

Brisbane has been under served for 35 years. It's an insult to say it should continue to be under served for the sake of expansion into new frontiers while Sydney has more teams than it can financially support. We've made more sacrifices than anything else, yet the entitled people from New South Wales who've sacrificed nothing demand we give up even more. I'll never agree to that.
If Brisbane has been under served for 35 years what has Perth been? You sound as entitled as any Sydneysider.

MugaB

Coach
Why wait?

Why wait??? let the dolphins finish this year f**kwit..
Besides there's Perth, NZ2 and PNG all looking at expansion soon, lets not jump on the BRL bandwagon just yet... besides waynes got another few years before he can take over the next franchise (if that rumour is to believed)

Colk

First Grade
Why wait?

Because the goal should be trying to expand the game outside of NSW and QLD in my opinion. I don’t know maybe I am just being realistic but I don’t think any side is going to die whatever one’s wishes may be (at least in the forseeable future) so what are the options here?

You either just put more sides in QLD and screw everywhere else or you say Queensland might be slightly under-utilised but their clubs are incredibly popular and financially successful? I don’t know but I’d rather err on the latter

Also, we do have the Titans for example. Not every club in SEQ is going swimmingly so we have to actually factor how expansion would impact existing clubs. I’d rather wait for the Titans and the Dolphins to have massive continual support (and there is massive potential in both) before committing to another team there.

Because the goal should be trying to expand the game outside of NSW and QLD in my opinion. I don’t know maybe I am just being realistic but I don’t think any side is going to die whatever one’s wishes may be (at least in the forseeable future) so what are the options here?

You either just put more sides in QLD and screw everywhere else or you say Queensland might be slightly under-utilised but their clubs are incredibly popular and financially successful? I don’t know but I’d rather err on the latter

Also, we do have the Titans for example. Not every club in SEQ is going swimmingly so we have to actually factor how expansion would impact existing clubs. I’d rather wait for the Titans and the Dolphins to have massive continual support (and there is massive potential in both) before committing to another team there.

Why are you pretending that the Titans' financial predictament is tied with the amount of teams thaat are in Brisbane?

The corporate sector in Brisbane will never back the Titans because the team and its fans represent a different market. You could limit Brisbane to just one team and its corporate sector still wouldn't touch the Titans. Nor would people from Brisbane travel up to two hours to Robina Stadium every fortnight to support a team from a rival city. All you're doing is looking for a reason to justify your biased position.

If the business sector on the Gold Coast isn't large enough to support the Titans then relocate them to Perth. Brisbane shouldn't be punished for the shortcomings of a team from another market.

You want expansion teams in new markets, but you don't want NSW to sacrifice anything to make it happen. Brisbane has to pay the price so NSW can retain its status quo and you can get what you want. I'm not signing up for that biased and inflammatory proposal because it treats the Brisbane rugby league community like second class citizens.

Maybe we should get rid of the Knights to make room for Perth?

Newcastle has been a financial basket case since 1988. I don't see you asking for Sydney to be rationalised for the betterment of Newcastle.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Why are you pretending that the Titans' financial predictament is tied with the amount of teams there are in Brisbane?

The corporate sector in Brisbane will never back the Titans because the team and its fans represent a different market. You could limit Brisbane to just one team and its corporate sector still wouldn't touch the Titans. Nor would people from Brisbane travel up to two hours to Robina Stadium every fortnight to support a team from a rival city. All you're doing is looking for a reason to justify your biased position.

If the business sector on the Gold Coast isn't large enough to support the Titans then relocate them to Perth. Brisbane shouldn't be punished for the shortcomings of a team from another market.

You want expansion teams in new markets, but you don't want NSW to sacrifice anything to make it happen. Brisbane had to pay the price so NSW can retain its status quo you can get what you want. I'm not signing up for that biased and inflammatory proposal.

Newcastle has been a financial basket case since 1988.
Again with the lets get rid of teams shit again, geez you post drivel, and it takes 1 hour to go to gold coast, not 2, there is no bias from colk, he is a canberra fan, so get your facts right you potato
Expansion is about adding to the comp, i agree another seq team is worth a look, but so are other areas of the country, perth being one the first

Canard

Immortal

Because someone liked a post?

You don't think that's a bit childish an immature to get sooky about that?

And to call someone who disagrees with you, a troll?

mongoose

Coach
Why are you pretending that the Titans' financial predictament is tied with the amount of teams thaat are in Brisbane?

You want expansion teams in new markets, but you don't want NSW to sacrifice anything to make it happen. Brisbane has to pay the price so NSW can retain its status quo and you can get what you want. I'm not signing up for that biased and inflammatory proposal because it treats the Brisbane rugby league community like second class citizens.

Newcastle has been a financial basket case since 1988. I don't see you asking for Sydney to be rationalised for the betterment of Newcastle.
They are not just going to start culling Sydney clubs for the sake of "fairness" to QLD, it's just never going to happen so why argue for this? The competition is what it is, it is rooted in the old Sydney competition which started off as a suburban comp. I think decision to only have 1 team in SEQLD after Super League was absolutely criminal and its taken way too long to get a 2nd Brisbane team in. I think adding a 3rd Brisbane team so quickly would be a mistake though and I very much doubt it would bring many new fans to the game.

People don't understand that local derbies are big events because there are so few of them. Sydney has local derbies in the NRL every week and no one cares because its so frequent.

They are not just going to start culling Sydney clubs for the sake of "fairness" to QLD, it's just never going to happen so why argue for this? The competition is what it is, it is rooted in the old Sydney competition which started off as a suburban comp. I think decision to only have 1 team in SEQLD after Super League was absolutely criminal and its taken way too long to get a 2nd Brisbane team in. I think adding a 3rd Brisbane team so quickly would be a mistake though and I very much doubt it would bring many new fans to the game.

People don't understand that local derbies are big events because there are so few of them. Sydney has local derbies in the NRL every week and no one cares because its so frequent.

Three teams in Brisbane is hardly the same as nine in Sydney.

The problem with the arguments against Brisbane 3 is they ignore reality and are based on wishy washy feelings.

Can you or anyone else say that Brisbane Tigers do not have the most advanced bid for the 18th licence?

Brisbane Tigers have the following criteria covered:

• 52k stadium with quality corporate boxes just a few kilometres from their clubhouse. Lang Park is recognised as the best rugby league stadium in the world. It is underutilised.
  • An NRL standard high performance training facility at their clubhouse in Coorparoo.
  • Support from the broadcasters. Ch9 have been vocal about a third team in Brisbane because of the strong interest generated by Redcliffe. This is very important because the broadcasters provide the bulk of the game's revenue and have a lot of influence over the ARLC.
  • Tigers have already laid the groundwork in southeastern Brisbane and eastern Logan to generate a strong and robust supporterbase.

Perth is a good candidate for the 19th licence, but they have a lot of work to do. The WA Gov needs to replace the poor corporate facilities at Perth Oval. The western and northern stands need to be knocked down and rebuilt. This will take at least 12 to 18 months. Maybe longer. If a Perth team was admitted now for 2026 they would struggle to generate strong corporate support because Perth Oval is out of date. The Glory and Force struggle in this area for the very same reason. The Wildcats have been successful because they play out of a great venue.

The Dockers struggle for corporate support, despite being based at a world class venue.

We need Perth Oval to be up to scratch to give a Perth team every chance in the world of attracting strong corporate support.

We don't want to rush this like we did in 1995. The Cowboys and Reds were introduced before they had the infrastructure in place to support a team. They struggled. It didn't help that they had to bankroll the flight and accommodation of their opponents, but being based out of poor playing and training facilities most definitely set both clubs back. Let's learn from last mistakes.

A proactive ARLC would have worked with the WA Gov to get all of this sorted by now. If they did then Perth would be ready for an NRL team by 2026.

I copped a lot of shit on here in 2020 for saying Brisbane 2 should be a traditional BRL club. I was told it wouldn't work. Turns out I was right and everyone else was wrong.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Again with the lets get rid of teams shit again, geez you post drivel, and it takes 1 hour to go to gold coast, not 2, there is no bias from colk, he is a canberra fan, so get your facts right you potato
Expansion is about adding to the comp, i agree another seq team is worth a look, but so are other areas of the country, perth being one the first
Getting rid of dud teams cowboys would be one of the first to go

Latest posts