What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Hodgson

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His first game for us was very good so I don’t think the injury or his age are the problem. He’s only a couple of months older now than he was then.

yy_cheng

Coach
His first game for us was very good so I don’t think the injury or his age are the problem. He’s only a couple of months older now than he was then.
In attack, i think it's more he hadn't airways executed well and that the other players do not know what he is doing or what he wants done. When he kicks and there are no chasers, it is obvious

Our players would probably struggle with cam Smith there as they are used to playing ba ball where the hooker fires it long and wide to the half or middle half, and them follow them around not so much craftiness around the ruck

Besides reg and some jnrs most of our pack can ball play so they are used to playing away from the ruck

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The fact that he didn't fall over with his thumb up his arse didn't make his first game "very good".

you are relentless in your attempts to troll Parra fans....
It was very good because of this: 1 LBA, 1 TA, 42 tackles in 84 minutes, 1 intercept, 1 forced drop out

His third game was also very good: 68m, 1 LB, 1 try, 93% tackle effectiveness

Unfortunately for him, the way we play causes opposition defences to fatigue, and open up late in games. Hodgson's only LB, LBA, try and TA occurred in the final 25 minutes of games, and he has only played those minutes in four games this year. Normally it is Hands benefiting from the more open ruck we impose on opponents. But like Hodgson said in a presser earlier this year, it's about doing what's best for the team. He's been doing that.

yy_cheng

Coach
The thing is,probably alot of the forwards didn't get much time working with jh enough to work out combinations and drills and some of the senior forwards returned late

Also barrett may have mainly concentrated on the halves in attack and you could see that in the trials and beginning rounds where we had formations like panfers

I don't see ba working with the ruck as i think he's hands off and will think. Jh's experience will lead them a bit Like reynolds. That's why we can look clunky at times.

I still think we are best served to play power game plus offloads. Without either, we struggle

I thought that the introduction of jh will help us more in the opposition 20 with his ability to isolate forwards on defenders but that hasn't happened so we have gone back to scoring off kicks

Maybe more time we would be better but he doesn't have much more time. So at this point in time, hands i think suits the team better

IFR33K

Coach
But you think he’s stopped making big plays because he’s too old, even though he managed it nine weeks ago?

Big plays? Lol. He set up a try. He’s been average since. If we’re waiting every 12 games for him to have a decent game then it’s a dud signing. I don’t need a lunatic to tell me otherwise.

weren’t you telling us we shouldn’t extend Moses because he wants to many years and will be mid 30’s at the time of end of contract?

back on Hodgson, the game has gotten faster while he’s declined in speed.

his discipline has also been questionable too. He’s given away a fair few penalties and six agains. Would he be our most penalised player?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
weren’t you telling us we shouldn’t extend Moses because he wants to many years and will be mid 30’s at the time of end of contract?
A bit simplistic. It just meant Moses would be less physical and more prone to injury in the later years of his contract. But his skills and decision making would be at least as good as they are now. It's my there are two blokes Hodgson's age in the Queensland Origin team. You're talking like he is 50 ffs. Maybe it's the lack of hair?

IFR33K

Coach
A bit simplistic. It just meant Moses would be less physical and more prone to injury in the later years of his contract. But his skills and decision making would be at least as good as they are now. It's my there are two blokes Hodgson's age in the Queensland Origin team. You're talking like he is 50 ffs. Maybe it's the lack of hair?

Oh ok. Makes sense. Wants to piss off the best half we’ve had since Peter sterling, because he’ll be old and injury prone. But defends the signing of an old and injury prone player, that’s been a dud, and has been outplayed by a 23 yo rookie.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
his discipline has also been questionable too. He’s given away a fair few penalties and six agains. Would he be our most penalised player?
The most penalised player at every club is generally one of their leaders:

ClubMerkinPenalties
BulldogsMahoney17
RabbitohsMurray14
KnightsFitzgibbon11
TitansFa'asuamaleaui10
WarriorsJohnson10
DragonsBird10
StormMunster10
RaidersHorsburgh9
CowboysTownsend9
EelsHodgson9
PanthersLuai8
SharksMoylan/Ramien8
BroncosTaupau/Riki8
TigersWakeham8
RoostersManu/Radley/Keary7
DolphinsMarshall-KIng7
Sea EaglesOlakau'atu7

Hodgson was the Raiders most penalised player in 2021, 2019, 2017 and 2016 as well. Some players test the boundaries and get away with plenty. Giving away 20 penalties in a season is worth it if you can get away with another 80 instances of illegal play.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh ok. Makes sense. Wants to piss off the best half we’ve had since Peter sterling, because he’ll be old and injury prone. But defends the signing of an old and injury prone player, that’s been a dud, and has been outplayed by a 23 yo rookie.
I just don't want to be paying 34 year old Moses as much as we were paying 29 year old Moses. Much like how 34 year old Hodgson isn't getting paid as much as he was at 30. It's all about value, not whether some merkin is good enough to be in the team.

Incorrect

Coach
Unfortunately for him, the way we play causes opposition defences to fatigue, and open up late in games. Hodgson's only LB, LBA, try and TA occurred in the final 25 minutes of games, and he has only played those minutes in four games this year.
Just more bad luck I suppose ...

f**k we're unlucky....

IFR33K

Coach
The most penalised player at every club is generally one of their leaders:

ClubMerkinPenalties
BulldogsMahoney17
RabbitohsMurray14
KnightsFitzgibbon11
TitansFa'asuamaleaui10
WarriorsJohnson10
DragonsBird10
StormMunster10
RaidersHorsburgh9
CowboysTownsend9
EelsHodgson9
PanthersLuai8
SharksMoylan/Ramien8
BroncosTaupau/Riki8
TigersWakeham8
RoostersManu/Radley/Keary7
DolphinsMarshall-KIng7
Sea EaglesOlakau'atu7

Hodgson was the Raiders most penalised player in 2021, 2019, 2017 and 2016 as well. Some players test the boundaries and get away with plenty. Giving away 20 penalties in a season is worth it if you can get away with another 80 instances of illegal play.

He needs to worry attempting to improve, not testing the boundaries

IFR33K

Coach
I just don't want to be paying 34 year old Moses as much as we were paying 29 year old Moses. Much like how 34 year old Hodgson isn't getting paid as much as he was at 30. It's all about value, not whether some merkin is good enough to be in the team.

so you can now predict Moses’ form in 2027? Didn’t you previously tell us qld just won origin and had two players well into their 30’s?

One minute you’re using that argument for, and next you’re using that argument against.

choose a storyline and stick with it please.