What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

MugaB

Coach
I would personally be behind that (though I’d go with “southern orcas”, not NZ, and just keep Warriors as “The Warriors”). But I’m not sure how many other people would agree with me.
South island Scorpions, i can imagine the crowd wearing black and yellow masks, like the red phins of the dolphins games

GET OVA HERE...
And every try scored the speaker will pump out a "Fatality!!!" With that MK techo music

The Great Dane

First Grade
I know, but that is what is needed. At least semi professional to develop enough players to allow clubs to continue.
This.

It's unlikely to ever happen for a number of reasons, but NZ desperately needs some form of national competition. Probably a semi-pro comp as close to a NSW or QLD Cup equivalent as possible.

At this point the only way it could realistically happen is if the NRL were willing to help bankroll it, so it's never going to happen.

The Great Dane

First Grade
South island Scorpions, i can imagine the crowd wearing black and yellow masks, like the red phins of the dolphins games

GET OVA HERE...
And every try scored the speaker will pump out a "Fatality!!!" With that MK techo music
I'm pretty sure that NZ doesn't have any native species of scorpion.

They definitely have Pseudoscorpions, but don't think they have any true scorpions.

MugaB

Coach
I'm pretty sure that NZ doesn't have any native species of scorpion.

They definitely have Pseudoscorpions, but don't think they have any true scorpions.
Pretty sure kogarah and illawara dont have any dragons either, same as balmain having tigers wander the streets...knights in newcastle, or vikings in canberra, not every mascot has to be a local product... there's already a lower grade NZRL team called the South Island Scorpions, colors of black and white, i figured add yellow to resemble the MK character, can even go tennis ball fluro yellow/green
20230603_080630.png

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Correct. And yellow and black are Wellington colours.
Who cares? Brisbane and canberra colors are blue and gold... i don't see that translate to the NRL..
Either way trying to distance themselves from being the colors of the warriors and crusaders would be a good thing

Matua

Bench
Of all the rugby tweets and media you've posted I agree wholeheartedly with this one (I'm still bemused at how much time you spend on rugby media and twitter). The franchises are terrible at marketing, but they shouldn't be as this is the commercial side of the teams which are privatised. So supposedly they have an incentive to be as engaged with fans as possible as their revenue actually relies on gameday crowds etc.

It's no surprise the Canes haven't tweeted because they're 50% owned by the Wellington rugby union who suck balls.

Wb1234

Referee
Of all the rugby tweets and media you've posted I agree wholeheartedly with this one (I'm still bemused at how much time you spend on rugby media and twitter). The franchises are terrible at marketing, but they shouldn't be as this is the commercial side of the teams which are privatised. So supposedly they have an incentive to be as engaged with fans as possible as their revenue actually relies on gameday crowds etc.

It's no surprise the Canes haven't tweeted because they're 50% owned by the Wellington rugby union who suck balls.
Random stuff appears I post what might be relevant or amusing

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Who cares? Brisbane and canberra colors are blue and gold... i don't see that translate to the NRL..
Either way trying to distance themselves from being the colors of the warriors and crusaders would be a good thing
That is true, but adopting the same colours as the Hurricanes/Wellington wouldn’t. Plenty of other combos to choose from. You’re trying to attract the locals to support your side, putting them in a rival city’s colours isn’t gonna do that.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
It won't be that either dickhead.
It'll find it's own economic medium.
It not bound to whatever figure pops into Perth reds head ffs
Can you not have a civilised conversation? I don’t know why you’re getting so upset about a hypothetical competition that’s not going to happen lol.

I dont think you understand how much it costs to run a nsw cup side, you’re asking for a 7 plus team NZ comp equivalent to nsw and qrl cup standard. To feed that you the. Need improved age national group comps below it. Prey do tell how much you think that costs?

yes there would be nrl contracted players. Around 32 out of 200 or so. That leaves the vast majority of players needing paying by the comp.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Pretty sure kogarah and illawara dont have any dragons either, same as balmain having tigers wander the streets...knights in newcastle, or vikings in canberra, not every mascot has to be a local product... there's already a lower grade NZRL team called the South Island Scorpions, colors of black and white, i figured add yellow to resemble the MK character, can even go tennis ball fluro yellow/green
St. George are called the Dragons because of the legend of Saint George and the Dragon.

Balmain picked up the Tigers as a nickname because their colours of orange and black resemble a tiger.

Newcastle went for a medieval knight theme because of the connection to castles. They're the knights that defend the castle.

The Raiders didn't get to pick their name and almost certainly wouldn't have gone with a Viking theme if they had had more control over their brand when the club was founded. Canberra does however have an unusual amount of references to Scandinavian culture for an Australian city that may have influenced their branding or could just be a happy accident.

I could go on if you like, but the point is that most teams have a reason or rational for where their names and brands come from, and there's absolutely no rational behind calling a team from New Zealand the scorpions.

There's also plenty of potential for unique branding in NZ and dozens of better names and brands than the scorpions for a Kiwi team.

Te Kaha

First Grade
But it was a good crowd and Super Rugby are facing difficulties.

It was a good crowd, and the only "difficulties" being faced in Super Rugby are with Australian teams. The Super Rugby game on at the same time, that had nothing riding on it, had a comparable crowd, and would have got much better TV viewership.

Neither of which has any relevance with a supposed second NZ NRL team being able to "deal a massive blow to NZ rugby" Super Rugby has little relevance with how Rugby is going in NZ.

MugaB

Coach
St. George are called the Dragons because of the legend of Saint George and the Dragon.

Balmain picked up the Tigers as a nickname because their colours of orange and black resemble a tiger.

Newcastle went for a medieval knight theme because of the connection to castles. They're the knights that defend the castle.

The Raiders didn't get to pick their name and almost certainly wouldn't have gone with a Viking theme if they had had more control over their brand when the club was founded. Canberra does however have an unusual amount of references to Scandinavian culture for an Australian city that may have influenced their branding or could just be a happy accident.

I could go on if you like, but the point is that most teams have a reason or rational for where their names and brands come from, and there's absolutely no rational behind calling a team from New Zealand the scorpions.

There's also plenty of potential for unique branding in NZ and dozens of better names and brands than the scorpions for a Kiwi team.
Yeah thats a great history lesson, still doesn't explain why thers no tigers in balmain, yet plenty of bees that sport that same color, or that St.george dragons were the "dragon-slayers" but over time being called the dragons seemed cooler,
Either way your explaination means shit, its a way you've worded it to make it like they intended to choose a local brand or mascot, when they didn't and don't have to.... keep on tooting your horn dane
Nz rugby can choose the hurricanes, blues, crusaders, highlanders, chiefs, but RL has to stick to a local fauna FFS please..

Ive already stated the scorpions team already exists in lower grades representing the south island, they don't have to be a local creature

Te Kaha

First Grade
Nz rugby can choose the hurricanes, blues, crusaders, highlanders, chiefs, but RL has to stick to a local fauna FFS please..

*sigh*... you do know there are local "associations" with every single one of those don't you?

Hurricanes - Wellington is known for its wind
Blues - Blue is Auckland's colours,
Crusaders - Christchurch in NZ is "the city of churches"
Highlanders - Dunedin is known as the Edinburgh of the south.
Chiefs - This one should be obvious.