What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
It's not just about staying in NZ.

If you have an 8-10 team 16 week comp draws draws 250-300 players from fifty clubs. They play and get better, they then go back for the local comp and those 250-300 players play with in 50-60 clubs, making those they play with better. They have a clear pathway from local comp, to regional comp, to NRL player.
Your model takes another 60-100 players out of regions and that's it. There is no return to their regional and local clubs and teams. no chance to learn from those players. No real development.
So you want professional players playing park football?
Do you realise what that does for thier development?

Te Kaha

First Grade
So you want professional players playing park football?
Do you realise what that does for thier development?

Not every player will go back to play for their local club, but enough will to continue it.

Take out the best 60-100 players and the others get no better. Those who aren't quite good enough have nothing to strive for, they give up. their local club then doesn't have enough players, the club folds. Then the region doesn't have enough clubs and they fold. Thats what happened in Hawkes Bay, thats whats happening on the west coast, that's what is happening in Wellington and around the country.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Not every player will go back to play for their local club, but enough will to continue it.

Take out the best 60-100 players and the others get no better. Those who aren't quite good enough have nothing to strive for, they give up. their local club then doesn't have enough players, the club folds. Then the region doesn't have enough clubs and they fold. Thats what happened in Hawkes Bay, thats whats happening on the west coast, that's what is happening in Wellington and around the country.
8 clubs is 240
Development filters up, not down.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you think a part time comp will develop nrl quality players? Surely it’d need to be at same level as nsw cup/qlnd cup? Those clubs operate on $2mill plus budgets plus the nrl fringe players they get from their nrl club link ups Paid for by the nrl club Or league club.

so where are these 7 clubs getting $2mill plus each from?

Gobsmacked

Bench
Do you think a part time comp will develop nrl quality players? Surely it’d need to be at same level as nsw cup/qlnd cup? Those clubs operate on $2mill plus budgets plus the nrl fringe players they get from their nrl club link ups Paid for by the nrl club.

so where are these 7 clubs getting $2mill plus from?
Yes QLD cup level, maybe a little less obviously to start with .
Yes funded by 2 new Zealand nrl clubs and maybe a Storm or Roosters will use it.
The $ 2 million ( wherever you pulled that from )is an AUSTRALIAN expense with higher wages, currency and generally everything covering a far greater geography.

Besides all that, the NRL have already stated ( as you pointed out) that they are looking to increase pathways in new Zealand.. there's no better way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes QLD cup level, maybe a little less obviously to start with .
Yes funded by 2 new Zealand nrl clubs and maybe a Storm or Roosters will use it.
The $ 2 million ( wherever you pulled that from )is an AUSTRALIAN expense with higher wages, currency and generally everything covering a far greater geography.

Besides all that, the NRL have already stated ( as you pointed out) that they are looking to increase pathways in new Zealand.. there's no better way.
Travel costs across nz would be on par or more than across the nsw cup surely? Presuming there are 2-3 clubs on the south island?

let’s say there’s 30 fringe players across the two nz clubs to farm out to this second tier, that’s 4-5 per side, presuming there split equally. That leaves clubs to pay a further 20-25 first grade players. Even part time youd be at an aVg of $40k-$50k plus a player surely to ensure they have the time free to train at the level you’d want to see plus time to travel and play etc. There’s $1mill.

Add in coaches, facility hire, medical and physio staff, insurance, travel, other operational costs. There’s your other $1million. Then comp costs for 12-15 refs and touchies, travel for them, admin for the comp etc etc.

you’re asking two clubs, and maybe some Australian clubs to fund a $15-20mill comp? Yeh can see that.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Travel costs across nz would be on par or more than across the nsw cup surely? Presuming there are 2-3 clubs on the south island?

let’s say there’s 30 fringe players across the two nz clubs to farm out to this second tier, that’s 4-5 per side, presuming there split equally. That leaves clubs to pay a further 20-25 first grade players. Even part time youd be at an aVg of $40k-$50k plus a player surely to ensure they have the time free to train at the level you’d want to see plus time to travel and play etc. There’s $1mill.

Add in coaches, facility hire, medical and physio staff, insurance, travel, other operational costs. There’s your other $1million. Then comp costs for 12-15 refs and touchies, travel for them, admin for the comp etc etc.

you’re asking two clubs, and maybe some Australian clubs to fund a $15-20mill comp? Yeh can see that.
You're pulling figures out of thin air.
Why is an average part time player on 45k ? 🙄
How much do you think NRL clubs spend on developing players??🙄

And like I said, they've already been doing it in years gone past, without a penny from the NRL.
You're a peanut 🥜

Gobsmacked

Bench

Impossible, can't happen.. f**k me dead mate

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Auckland warriors
Nz orcas (well and ch)
I would personally be behind that (though I’d go with “southern orcas”, not NZ, and just keep Warriors as “The Warriors”). But I’m not sure how many other people would agree with me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're pulling figures out of thin air.
Why is an average part time player on 45k ? 🙄
How much do you think NRL clubs spend on developing players??🙄

And like I said, they've already been doing it in years gone past, without a penny from the NRL.
You're a peanut 🥜
I thought you were suggesting a high quality ft/pt competition that developed nrl players? Sure if you want a chook raffle club comp with players on $200 a game it will be a lot cheaper, but won’t be producing nrl players and won’t be getting nrl contracted players farmed out to it.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I thought you were suggesting a high quality ft/pt competition that developed nrl players? Sure if you want a chook raffle club comp with players on $200 a game it will be a lot cheaper, but won’t be producing nrl players and won’t be getting nrl contracted players farmed out to it.
It won't be that either dickhead.
It'll find it's own economic medium.
It not bound to whatever figure pops into Perth reds head ffs

Gobsmacked

Bench
And btw it'll have nrl players in it ! That won't cost the clubs because they will be paid by the NRL clubs.
I swear anything outside of Perth is not possible 🤦‍♂️

Matua

Bench
I would personally be behind that (though I’d go with “southern orcas”, not NZ, and just keep Warriors as “The Warriors”). But I’m not sure how many other people would agree with me.
I'd be happy for the Southern Orcas to exist but I'll still support The Warriors.

Brian potter

Bench
Forget about any national comp be it either professional or semi-professional and concentrate on a South Island jersey flegg, SG ball and Harold matthews cup teams.