What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pneuma

First Grade
Funded by govt...check
Include a 3rd country into the NRL comp.. check
Involve cairns in a more meaningful way... check
Increase player pool..check
Piss off the perf whingers...check
All works in favor of the NRL

Govt wants PNG nrl team, will pay whatever it takes.
NRL wants A Pacifika team to generate player pathways... and doesn't want to pay for it
Png just want a team... everyones happy
If this is for real I’ll 100% back it. Takes the code wars completely out of the reach of the fumblers, claims the pacific islands from the rah rahs and leaves us open to a friendly relationship with football to build stadiums and work to our mutual benefit.
The fumblers get their pissy little Hobart stadium (if it ever gets built which is unlikely) and we claim a country of 10 milllion where we can get kudos for working with the Commonwealth government to build community programs across the South Pacific. This I turn will potentially attract massive sponsorship and partnerships across the region.
It’s either all in or continuing street fights for control of Australian suburbs? I’ll take all in thanks.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Takes the code wars completely out of the reach of the fumblers,
Not sure about that, it`s great winning battles overseas, but the battle is far from over at home.
leaves us open to a friendly relationship with football to build stadiums and work to our mutual benefit.
I like this and think it has merit. I`ve said this before ( my turn to be egotistical LOL) one contact sport, one non-contact, winter sports market sown up.
This I turn will potentially attract massive sponsorship and partnerships across the region.
Interesting thought.

MugaB

Coach
People do realise that sweet sweet government money is your sweet sweet money?

I for one don't piss my money up the wall, I don't want my government to do it either.
Sorry pal but what ever we pay in tax is automatically getting pissed up a wall, you might think you have some choice in the matter but we don't... atleast this way the charity work and foreign aid that would had disapeared in Png might end up helping our favorite past time in some weird wicked way

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I apologise as I can't reply directly to people. But Muga, I am very aware about the taxation system thanks.

If you think the government, be it liberal, Labor, the raving loony party, are doing this to assist the nrl you're kidding yourself. If you think it's going to help the average png citizen you are also kidding yourself. If you think it will cause an influx of new first grade footballers to enter the nrl, maybe although the likelihood is that this thing will fall on its arse with no benefit to anyone but the already corrupt PNG elite.

MugaB

Coach
I apologise as I can't reply directly to people. But Muga, I am very aware about the taxation system thanks.

If you think the government, be it liberal, Labor, the raving loony party, are doing this to assist the nrl you're kidding yourself. If you think it's going to help the average png citizen you are also kidding yourself. If you think it will cause an influx of new first grade footballers to enter the nrl, maybe although the likelihood is that this thing will fall on its arse with no benefit to anyone but the already corrupt PNG elite.
I know all this, i know the govt wants its pie, the nrl is cashing it in, and png get a team they can cheer, i know its all about greasing wheels, it politics, but a west indies style team in the NRL, thats balls!!!

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee

Of course it’s going to develop future nrl players

png is a future gold mine

as a fan of a club that struggles to attract talent you would think a far deeper playing pool would be a good thing

and a strong png nrl team will bring a lot of joy to average png people

this passion is going to be a shot in the arm for the nrl

Wb1234

Referee
Cairns would need a new stadium surely? Barlow isn't up to scratch. Unless they want the team based in Townsville.
Most of the games will be played in png so no

maybe one nrl game at best or just trials

the mayor of cairns is strongly behind them being based there so I’m sure he could upgrade Barlow park

taipan

Referee
My 50c worth. The money outlaid by the Feds for the PNG entry will do more good for not only the people of PNG 10million, but help in the security of the PIs/Australia and last but not least the NRL to increase the next TV deal value(are you "listening" Perff Red?).
By contrast we have the same Feds spending a large sum for a 23K stadium in Hobart that will assist the AFL and that's all.
If they choose not to ATT PNG ,I'm quite happy with Perth or NZ2.
The Feds as part of their overseas program already assist PNG financially ,but by doing so in addtiion for their national sport is a huge plus.
PNG has close emotional ties with Australia, particularly boosted by the help the PNG people did for our Aussie soldiers in WW2.Anyone who knows the story of the fuzzy fuzzy angels there will understand.

Wb1234

Referee
My 50c worth. The money outlaid by the Feds for the PNG entry will do more good for not only the people of PNG 10million, but help in the security of the PIs/Australia and last but not least the NRL to increase the next TV deal value(are you "listening" Perff Red?).
By contrast we have the same Feds spending a large sum for a 23K stadium in Hobart that will assist the AFL and that's all.
If they choose not to ATT PNG ,I'm quite happy with Perth or NZ2.
The Feds as part of their overseas program already assist PNG financially ,but by doing so in addtiion for their national sport is a huge plus.
PNG has close emotional ties with Australia, particularly boosted by the help the PNG people did for our Aussie soldiers in WW2.Anyone who knows the story of the fuzzy fuzzy angels there will understand.
Imo albanese only gave afl that money for tassie so he would cop no heat for helping png

and reports are 17 millio. Pop that’s what vlandys quoted