What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I love the little echo chamber you guys have.

As for predicting the 2022 Panthers would do well showing you have insight, you weren’t exactly Robinson Crusoe there; were you? What were the bookies paying on a Panther premiership; $3/4?

What were the odds when we had Luai and Cleary missing?

Or in 2021 when Cleary went down?

Pretty much everyone wrote us off

As for Odds, Cows and Roosters were up there this year and are showing odds mean nothing on field

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Don't see the problem with the Luke resigning. He hasn't been what we hoped this year (though he hasn't been as poor as some suggest), but there's unquestionably talent there. He's obviously not going to break the bank so won't stand in the way of a quality signing if one becomes available. The idea that there's no chance he steps up is crazy. People are quick to quote his age, but from a game perspective he's still a rookie. Adjusting to the pace of the NRL is always going to take time, just like it did for many of the other great players in this squad. His defense has been better than feared and he's not broken down physically. But most importantly we're playing with house money given he's likely coming in very cheap.

The panic around this position has honestly been pretty laughable. It's obviously not a strength atm but the calls to emergency bring in average players like Simpkins is exactly how you unbalance an incredibly successful squad, both from a cap and interpersonal perspective. The club has put together one of the most dominant eras in NRL history, they absolutely deserve the benefit of the doubt in how the details are managed in areas like this.

Simpkin is 21.

Has 30 NRL games and is matching our starting hooker in reduced minutes.

The sort of player that would fit in with our young squad

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I love the little echo chamber you guys have.

As for predicting the 2022 Panthers would do well showing you have insight, you weren’t exactly Robinson Crusoe there; were you? What were the bookies paying on a Panther premiership; $3/4?
Franklin and I have disagreed on many things over the years but that doesn't mean he isn't one of the best posters on here

BossleyPanther

Juniors
It is all on here. Moylan to 6 especially

The Bathurst game thread last year, I said we would go to Magic round undefeated.

I got slammed, yet now only post negative.
That one was a good one "undefeated to magic round"

Also I know you don't think the same here but in the last 3 weeks Kenny has really improved and even he had a kick into the line last week" looking at the comp Brisbane are really our only threat and they have a crap dummy half, so we really could have another premiership.

Iamback

Coach
That one was a good one "undefeated to magic round"

Also I know you don't think the same here but in the last 3 weeks Kenny has really improved and even he had a kick into the line last week" looking at the comp Brisbane are really our only threat and they have a crap dummy half, so we really could have another premiership.

I agree he is improving.

The issue is he is coming from so far behind. I know it is 1 stat but before this year he had 1 try assist in 60 games. He now has 3

I agree Broncos have the worst 9, Though they have Walsh who is 2nd for try assists in the comp. That gives them strike if the halves are struggling.

The offloading game we played last week is key as our 3rd attacking weapon. That is where we can trouble the good teams in finals

age.s

First Grade
Simpkin is 21.

Has 30 NRL games and is matching our starting hooker in reduced minutes.

The sort of player that would fit in with our young squad
I think Luke has a considerably higher ceiling than Simpkins, but putting that aside for a moment. Both Simpkins and Luke (and even Kenny) are cup level hookers with potential improvement in them. Moving one of our players in that bucket for an external one is a sidegrade and a sidewards move for the sake of change is exactly how you destabilise a group of people.

Shaking things up can be a good thing, but doing so when you're at the absolute top of of the totem pole is generally not a good idea. You have a long way to fall.

Iamback

Coach
I get it. It 100% goes both ways. But tone can do a lot to improve how a message is received and as mentioned, it 100% goes both ways.

That is the issue with talking via text instead of in person. Tone is open to perspection

I put questions into my responses to try to spark a discussion about topics

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I think Luke has a considerably higher ceiling than Simpkins, but putting that aside for a moment. Both Simpkins and Luke (and even Kenny) are cup level hookers with potential improvement in them. Moving one of our players in that bucket for an external one is a sidegrade and a sidewards move for the sake of change is exactly how you destabilise a group of people.

Shaking things up can be a good thing, but doing so when you're at the absolute top of of the totem pole is generally not a good idea. You have a long way to fall.

Luke is 28 next year, Hasn't started a game. Even hasn't played 40 mins in a game.

If Kenny gets injured.

Is Luke ready to play 80?

So we are a hooker short anyway. I'd rather buy someone with more upside than an old guy. Especially with the age of the squad.

Ideally we'd have someone internally but that is one position we have always struggled to develop.

soc123_au

Staff member
I love what Kenny brings to the team with enthusiasm in defence, I remember how pleased everyone was when Tim Grant retired early so he could get a top 30 spot. I think he deserves to be in the 17, just not the first choice 9. I want Flanno Jnr to come across and Luke as depth only.

Iamback

Coach
I love what Kenny brings to the team with enthusiasm in defence, I remember how pleased everyone was when Tim Grant retired early so he could get a top 30 spot. I think he deserves to be in the 17, just not the first choice 9. I want Flanno Jnr to come across and Luke as depth only.

He'd be a good 14. That would allow someone like Garner into the 17 and opens up options to improve bench balance

betcats

Referee
What were the odds when we had Luai and Cleary missing?

Or in 2021 when Cleary went down?

Pretty much everyone wrote us off

As for Odds, Cows and Roosters were up there this year and are showing odds mean nothing on field

Massive stretch to say everyone wrote us off last year. At the end of the day predicting we'd win last year was what most people predicted. You and umina were just more vocal about it.