What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2023

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I never want you to change! No one on here rips into the ghouls at Melbourne, Brisbane, the NRL in general, quite like you do.
Haha I actually thought I’d softened on them the last couple of years but they keep finding ways to wind me up

Especially Brisbane, I actually really like Kev Walters as a bloke, Walsh I can’t stand though

Melbourne, how I feel about them is probably summed up by the fact I got dressed up in Storm gear for my stag do

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Can't see Broncos beating Penrith. Time for the first three-peat of the NRL era...
The worry for Brisbane was how easily we opened them up on several occasions when we got down their end. Cleary will have a field day, and the Penrith pack wil provide him with a lot better platform to do it.

Reactions: Izz

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
A bit dirty from NRL360 trying to put pressure on Adam Gee

Since 2020 Penrith are 16/17 with him and 71/87 without him whistling the game, not really a dramatic difference for a team that hardly loses a game

Blair

Coach
I heard on the news yesterday that the 'Broncos had departed south for Sydney'. I'm surprised they didn't fly north by mistake.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm on the Panthers.

I like the thought that Wayne Scurrah is out there, chest puffed out, telling everyone he was someone...then he moves on to tell people he was the Warriors CEO in 2011.

'Oh shit, the guy who thought Ivan Cleary wasn't worth re-signing? How's that worked out? Oh and wasn't Nathan here, too? That would've been a package deal...and you replaced them with Bluey McClennan?'

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Grand final week, what are the moments that stick in your mind from over the years

91 was my first grand final, and MG charging onto the short dropout and Royce scoring and jumping up and down is my vivid one from that

Onviously Beaver scoring in 08, the noise in the stadium when he scored is something I won’t hear again

Blacklock charging onto a kick and splitting the Storm D to go all the way in 99 is another one

Daley on his hands and knees into the corner in 94

Jones try in 02, the Benji flick in 05 are obvious ones

Funnily enough it is the older moments that seem to be ingrained into my memory, even though there have been great moments recently like Fifita try in 16 and the ending of the 15 GF

Blair

Coach
Grand final week, what are the moments that stick in your mind from over the years

91 was my first grand final, and MG charging onto the short dropout and Royce scoring and jumping up and down is my vivid one from that

Onviously Beaver scoring in 08, the noise in the stadium when he scored is something I won’t hear again

Blacklock charging onto a kick and splitting the Storm D to go all the way in 99 is another one

Funnily enough it is the older moments that seem to be ingrained into my memory, even though there have been great moments recently like Fifita try in 16 and the ending of the 15 GF
1985, the first GF broadcast live on NZ TV. My old man (a fan of neither Canterbury or St George) sat it out, determined, but I'd clocked-off midway through the first half of this bore.

Prior to that it was mythical reads in newspapers, magazines and rugby league annuals. After, it got real good, fast. I recall Parra in '86, Manly in '87 but Balmain's two losses in '88 & '89 was the take-off point for me.

1989 my Raiders! It never got better. What a game. Graeme Hughes was magnificent commentating, Balmain gallant in defeat, Chika Ferguson, at aged 37 (I reckon!) snaking through to force the first extra-time in a GF. Bloody heck, the excitement will never die.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yeah, im going the Panthers.

That's muck raking. Rubbish journalism.
They’ve gone further with it, showing how Penrith protect Cleary on the last tackle (I’m sure all sides do the same) and also showing how Penrith turn people around to face the wrong way when tackling them (as Anasta said, who cares and it isn’t illegal)

Haven’t been going through Brisbane with a fine tooth comb though

Blair

Coach
I'm still down in the dumps about the end of our season. Who wanted it to ever finish?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

JJ

Immortal

91 remains my favourite - Harrigan did what he could to get a Green win - disallowing that try, Geyer, Cartwright and Izzard were all on one leg, the former two immense - Meninga again immense in trying to hold on, Stuart and Daley were hurt too, the character in that side was on show too (both sides) but yeah, Penrith could have won by 20 but Canberra's last ditch defence was staggering, peak Geyer, such a shame his career stalled

89 was the first I watched live - The Meninga ankle tap, Elias drop goal, the ashen faces on Rach and Sironen from the bench when the Raiders came back..01 and Jackson's try. for me 89-91 was a golden period