What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2023

Blair

Coach
It's on! We're there!!

Friday: Brisbane v Melbourne (7:50pm)
Saturday: Penrith v Warriors (4:05pm)
Saturday: Cronulla v Roosters (7:50pm)
Sunday: Newcastle v Raiders (4pm)

We should be safely tucked up in bed, like the Bulldogs, Titans, Eels, et al, but instead we're up late, wandering around with the boogie man on the loose! What's not to get excited about?!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Who's 'in form'? This weekend showed Melbourne, Penrith and Newcastle as the three teams with 'momentum' going into the finals. If one weekend - one game- is anything to go by.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Panthers will be tricky, but nothing to lose on our end. Throw everything at them and hope we can get a bit of luck. They are beatable if we are at our best. Ignoring yesterdays game, we have had plenty of practice winning scrappy lately.

nswarrior

Juniors
Cant believe we are in the top 4. Panthers will be tough but we have to take them on at some stage.

Saturday afternoon is ideal for us.

nswarrior

Juniors
I've been negative to date but this timeslot means I can actually go. My work roster's good.

I reckon I'll try for a ticket on Tuesday.
You will have to be quick to get a ticket with Panthers members getting 1st dibs I assume.

1st finals game in 5 years and in 2018 we were struggling towards end of season.

6 sleeps to go - can’t wait!!

Blair

Coach
You will have to be quick to get a ticket with Panthers members getting 1st dibs I assume.

1st finals game in 5 years and in 2018 we were struggling towards end of season.

6 sleeps to go - can’t wait!!
"10 o'clock, on the dot. Not 10:03, not 10:06, you hearing me, ******?" That's a line from the movie Friday. It's apt for buying tickets this Tuesday! General Public get access at that time (it's AM of course).

Blair

Coach
Let's f**king go!!! I'm beyond excited for this. Perfect time zone for us
On the Penrith forum they've already pulled a couple of posters into line, for suggesting the Warriors might have a chance.

The whole town is squarely focused on Brisbane and Melbourne.

soc123_au

Staff member
On the Penrith forum they've already pulled a couple of posters into line, for suggesting the Warriors might have a chance.

Realistically we should put you guys to the sword. Rugby League is a funny game though. I remember 1 vs 4 in 2014 when we faced the Roosters as despised outsiders with only the most optimistic of fans giving us any hope.

Then in the 79th minute Captain Soul Glow himself scores a miracle try that had no right to be scored in the corner and we were in the prelim just like that. That nights hero has been in magnificent form for you guys this year.

Enjoy the week. You guys have earned it.

Matua

Bench
"10 o'clock, on the dot. Not 10:03, not 10:06, you hearing me, ******?" That's a line from the movie Friday. It's apt for buying tickets this Tuesday! General Public get access at that time (it's AM of course).
Was hoping all clubs members would get early access as I have a mate who's a Manly member, but it's only teams involved. Grrr.

So will be trying like you on Tuesday.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Good, I hope they keep that up. We're happy to go in as a team that no one gives a chance to. We beat a salary cap cheating team in 2008, then beat them as minor premiers again in 2011, so bring it on.

This isn't like 2011, when we played like timid kittens who felt they were lucky to just be there. We've earned the right this year, we know the consolation prize is a home final, we're going to be up. Webster will have us on.

Fans like us are humans, we're idiots. We rule out the possibility anyone could beat the Panthers, although we see it in sport all the time. The last time anyone three-peated was 1981. Good luck.

Get a free Nrl.com account and you could get them now (from 4pm Monday)Screenshot_20230904_181544_Chrome.jpg

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Good to see Metcalfe was sent over for the photoshoot for the opening of the finalsView attachment 78930
Yeah I had a laugh seeing that. I know they said Tohu flying was bad for his back, so fair enough, but sending over an injured player who isn't at all a senior member of the team is a great idea. Doesn't disrupt preparations - easy enough for the Sydney teams to have their captains pop over for a couple of hours, but it is two flights and a whole day gone for whoever we send. Could have easily gone AFB or Walker of SJ - but nope, you lads can have Metcalf. Only better one would have been to send Going or something.

Yeah I had a laugh seeing that. I know they said Tohu flying was bad for his back, so fair enough, but sending over an injured player who isn't at all a senior member of the team is a great idea. Doesn't disrupt preparations - easy enough for the Sydney teams to have their captains pop over for a couple of hours, but it is two flights and a whole day gone for whoever we send. Could have easily gone AFB or Walker of SJ - but nope, you lads can have Metcalf. Only better one would have been to send Going or something.
Agree with the above tactics for sure, shows a level of dedication to prep and how serious we are about the game.
But also nice for Metcalfe who is out of the finals with an injury.
Storm and Broncos have a 1 hours flight each way, but not the international requirements and extra 2 hours each way.

Blair

Coach
Thanks Phil. I got to that check out stage but I decided to go no further. I think I just want to be here at home for this one. The thing is I've got a heavy work schedule Fri to Sun and going to the game in between feels exhausting. I know I'd find the energy though once the ticket is bought.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. If we won, and I didn't go, I'd be inconsolable!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think that's cool, and sensible. I think from memory, in 2007/08/11, we had players involved in the finals at that photo shoot. Steve Price was definitely there one year.

There may be a different thread for this, but what are we thinking in terms of Dally M awards recipients from our club? I don't think SJ will win the Dally M, he'll go close and maybe be top 5, which is a hell of an achievement. AFB locked for prop of the year? SJ halfback? DWZ winger?