What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round One v Melbourne

Chins get the wins

First Grade
My bench would be

Laurie/Cole
Smith
Sorro
Alamonti.

Keep Garner at 2nd row because he runs decent lines and gives a tall option for kicks.

That bench allows him to come on and bend the line back. Stand next to Kenny and Martin and not have to think much
I'd need proof he can do the role even against nsw cup middles

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the 2-5 are all great players. But all play a little similar. Just very strong and powerful with ok speed.
And all fairly small and stocky. Not good for the Bomb threat

The Realist

Juniors
Nathan and Jerome were both out of position all night, I really don’t see how that is the Hookers fault.

It even cost us a try.

The difference was that Summo just passed it anyway and didn’t try to correct it.

I maintain that both the hookers were quite good and the issues lay with the halves.

Whilst I don't necessarily think the hookers were particularly good - I would definitely agree that both halves were garbage in terms of positioning, tactics and even basic execution for most of the night. Out of all players they deserve by far the most criticism.

Also of note was Edwards. He tried to inject himself into the line a few times and it was just awful - rather than help it looked as though he just got in the way and cluttered our attack. In attack it was a very odd performance from him.

Black Panther

Juniors
Penrith play the middle game, that’s where our strong carries from the outside backs comes in from kick returns. We seem to be able to handle most kick threats, however they suck at defending the short drop outs.

The Realist

Juniors
I think the 2-5 are all great players. But all play a little similar. Just very strong and powerful with ok speed.
And all fairly small and stocky. Not good for the Bomb threat

That is a good observation, other than Taylan May who whilst not an outright flier, is pretty close to one (whilst still maintaining significantly above average power and evasive skills).

It's also why I am not the biggest fan of Turuva. Having one short + Average speed winger can be a notable weakness, but having two just compounds the weakness.

hindy111

Post Whore
What changes would you make?

Obvious ones are Sorrenson and Kenny come back in. Luke goes and so does Eisenhuth.
Questions will be if keep a hooker on the bench or prefer someone (Unsure who) that has some impact in the forwards.

CCJohnC

Juniors
Obvious ones are Sorrenson and Kenny come back in. Luke goes and so does Eisenhuth.
Questions will be if keep a hooker on the bench or prefer someone (Unsure who) that has some impact in the forwards.
Do bring in someone of height to cover the lack of it in our backs? Edwards excepted.

betcats

Referee
With all due respect Franklin picking alamoti on the bench to play middle over Henry is up there with soni Luke will be better then api level of internet insanity. Henry was very good last night and overall our bench and lack of impact was not the issue at all. Our senior players mistakes in the first half and the lack of control and cohesion from the halves was the issue. The best period we had was either side of half time with Lindsay and Henry playing middle until they scored off the bomb.

betcats

Referee
I think with Kenny back we will see peach on possibly Geyer onto the bench next week(depending on sorro fotness) with kenny the need for a genuine second hooker is much less and peach can slot into hooker or an edge if needed. Gives us a bit more flexibility to throw in Geyer if sorro is still out.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I think with Kenny back we will see peach on possibly Geyer onto the bench next week(depending on sorro fotness) with kenny the need for a genuine second hooker is much less and peach can slot into hooker or an edge if needed. Gives us a bit more flexibility to throw in Geyer if sorro is still out.
Peach offers zero from 9. Poor defender and can't pass a football. Roll the dice with Laurie imo

Iamback

Coach
With all due respect Franklin picking alamoti on the bench to play middle over Henry is up there with soni Luke will be better then api level of internet insanity. Henry was very good last night and overall our bench and lack of impact was not the issue at all. Our senior players mistakes in the first half and the lack of control and cohesion from the halves was the issue. The best period we had was either side of half time with Lindsay and Henry playing middle until they scored off the bomb.

Dude that bench is doing nothing against the better teams. Henry will be great long term but as a starter.

It is too predictable. Offloads won't come and neither will footwork as a defender it is pretty easy to stop

The Realist

Juniors
As a centre you are right. In the pack he is surrounded by Beast defenders. Reading the attack and lateral movement are his issue.

Lateral movement is a huge weakness defending on an edge. The only players on the field who can 'get away' with having poor lateral movement are Props.

Defensive reads likewise. Whilst not as critical as it is for a centre, it is still VERY important for an edge forward.

2nd Row is arguably the most important defensive position in the game - along with Centre which IS more complex but requires less physical exertion.

betcats

Referee
Dude that bench is doing nothing against the better teams. Henry will be great long term but as a starter.

It is too predictable. Offloads won't come and neither will footwork as a defender it is pretty easy to stop

The bench will do its job I think. Alamoti playing middle is a fantasy at this point it’s a crazy suggestion he’s playing centre right now have you ever seen him in the pack?

Iamback

Coach
Lateral movement is a huge weakness defending on an edge. The only players on the field who can 'get away' with having poor lateral movement are Props.

Defensive reads likewise. Whilst not as critical as it is for a centre, it is still VERY important for an edge forward.

2nd Row is arguably the most important defensive position in the game - along with Centre which IS more complex but requires less physical exertion.

I didn't say the edge though, You look at our starting team. The pack in particular all rep players so all pick themselves. All play big minutes.

Even Lindsay Smith can get through 50 mins, I'd add Garner to being established.

So it gives

JFH 50 mins
Leota 45-50 mins
Martin 80 mins
Kenny 80 mins
Yeo 80 mins
Garner 50-60.

So you are only looking to fill in the blanks from the bench.

Sorro can play middle when Leota comes off. Stay on to replace Garner. Leota comes back on.

JFH and Smith can share the other prop spot.

Leaves not many minutes for the other 2 benchies. Why not have 2 guys that offer something the starters dont.

If Smith is now moving to the edge during games and Sorro of course. Then you don't need an edge off the bench.

That opens up the options especially as teams are running with small middles through parts of the game.