What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round One v Melbourne

Iamback

Coach
The bench will do its job I think. Alamoti playing middle is a fantasy at this point it’s a crazy suggestion he’s playing centre right now have you ever seen him in the pack?

Phoenix Crossland was playing middle on Thursday night. He offer more than that.

The bench will make 50 tackles each if we needed them.

The issue is. As we saw in 2 games we have played and to be honest in Origin QLD do it well. Pressure Cleary and Yeo and the side has no idea.

Henry or Huth aren't going to use footwork to get a defender off side. Nor can they pass if the ball ends up in their hands. So for me it is getting some point of difference from the bench.

Especially as we haven't got Crittas hands to put guys away

betcats

Referee
Phoenix Crossland was playing middle on Thursday night. He offer more than that.

The issue is. As we saw in 2 games we have played and to be honest in Origin QLD do it well. Pressure Cleary and Yeo and the side has no idea.

Henry or Huth aren't going to use footwork to get a defender off side. Nor can they pass if the ball ends up in their hands. So for me it is getting some point of difference from the bench.

Crossland played hooker. Bro alamoti is not going to come into the bench and solve the issue of cleary and Yeo getting pressured so much it puts our attack under pressure tgat is the craziest argument. If he comes on getting manhandled by real middles it’s just going to make it far worse

Iamback

Coach
Crossland played hooker. Bro alamoti is not going to come into the bench and solve the issue of cleary and Yeo getting pressured so much it puts our attack under pressure tgat is the craziest argument. If he comes on getting manhandled by real middles it’s just going to make it far worse

No Crossland played lock. Cogger played hooker.

Happy to have someone else do that then but the bench guys not named Lindsay Smith or Sorro need to offer something with the ball.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Luai needs to lift

Iamback

Coach
Luai needs to lift

It was his 1st game back but it goes to my point.

If you are defending on his edge, Are you scared to rush in and pressure him? It isn't like Garner or May have the quick hands to get it to the unmarked winger.

Nor the early tackles you know Huth won't burn you so no need to bring an extra defender in. So instead of a quick play the ball getting them on their backfoot.

Teams are getting set and able to cut off our attack sooner

betcats

Referee
No Crossland played lock. Cogger played hooker.

Happy to have someone else do that then but the bench guys not named Lindsay Smith or Sorro need to offer something with the ball.

Ok ball playing lock, another role alamoti has no chance at filling for us at this point. Forget impact middle, there’s nothing to suggest could do better or have more impact in that role than crossland. Youre basing all this of his stocky build and the possibility we were going to try him on an edge. To me expecting him to play as an impact middle of any sort just sounds like a good way to ruin his career while holding back the development of Henry or smith.

Yeah some bench impact like Spencer would be great but if we don’t have it im happy to roll with good young workhorse props rather then try to manufacture it out a centre.

betcats

Referee
The one we should be looking at Franklin is the guy you were on last year patea, looks good in cup strong runs and passing the ball well looks pretty natural

Iamback

Coach
Ok ball playing lock, another role alamoti has no chance at filling for us at this point. Forget impact middle, there’s nothing to suggest could do better or have more impact in that role than crossland. Youre basing all this of his stocky build and the possibility we were going to try him on an edge. To me expecting him to play as an impact middle of any sort just sounds like a good way to ruin his career while holding back the development of Henry or smith.

Yeah some bench impact like Spencer would be great but if we don’t have it im happy to roll with good young workhorse props rather then try to manufacture it out a centre.

I did my minute breakdown in an earlier post. Not sure using a workhorse prop for that 20 min period is going to work though.

Particularly as his style matches Lindsay Smith or hell even Garner you'd put in the workhorse category.

Kenny too atm doesn't have a kicking game or run much.

So too many workhorses as it is

Iamback

Coach
The one we should be looking at Franklin is the guy you were on last year patea, looks good in cup strong runs and passing the ball well looks pretty natural

He is a beast but was in Ball last year, There is a few in that age group but are 2-3 years from NRL.

Hassett, Scott. As I said the pack is very young so we need to improvise

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Defence was fine against Melbourne. Just need attack to be worked on.

Bounce of the ball didn't help on Friday night either.

Interesting to see that Titians given a try in similar circumstances that Penrith were denied.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think with Kenny back we will see peach on possibly Geyer onto the bench next week(depending on sorro fotness) with kenny the need for a genuine second hooker is much less and peach can slot into hooker or an edge if needed. Gives us a bit more flexibility to throw in Geyer if sorro is still out.

I tend to agree. The bounce of the ball didn't go Penrith's way.

The stop start nature also didn't help. Huge amount of dew on the ground.

Hopefully next week will be much better, cause in attack they looked very rusty.

Eiso does little for me. Think Lindsay is doing a fine job. Luke is not the answer on the bench either. Think The Peach offers far more. Or even Laurie.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think with Kenny back we will see peach on possibly Geyer onto the bench next week(depending on sorro fotness) with kenny the need for a genuine second hooker is much less and peach can slot into hooker or an edge if needed. Gives us a bit more flexibility to throw in Geyer if sorro is still out.

Hopefully next week will be much better, cause in attack they looked very rusty.

Eiso does little for me. Think Lindsay is doing a fine job. Luke is not the answer on the bench either. Think The Peach offers far more. Or even Laurie.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I
Look at our draw before our bye.

Anywhere from 4-1 to 0-5 is possible, the good teams have us worked out. So in a way the 0-5 version is a good thing. so we get changes to go on a run
Nhad us not winning until after the bye. But next week might look better.

martielang

Bench
I’m worried I might sound like a few ‘trust the process’ posters on here but it’s Rnd 1. I’d definitely like some more punch in our forwards off the bench but we started slow last year and got rolling when it counted, I think it’s likely to be the same again.

V'Landy keeps changing the rules to speed up the game. This game had 15 penalities which as you said is real stop start.
We did not need Soni Luke doing headless chook impressions the late in the game, he did some goods things...but.
Mr Turuva, put you 2023 highlights away and concentrate on 2024, had a bad WCC and worse Rd.1.