What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round One v Melbourne

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
Bit if recency bias. He was far more effective than Cleary a lot of last season, especially the first half.

He had a few man of the match games last year.
Once Cleary went down injured him and Cogs kept the team going mid season. Even when Cleary came back Luai was still running the show.

Iamback

Coach
I’m worried I might sound like a few ‘trust the process’ posters on here but it’s Rnd 1. I’d definitely like some more punch in our forwards off the bench but we started slow last year and got rolling when it counted, I think it’s likely to be the same again.

I get it round 1. We also lost Round 1 last year but you look at our losses across the last few years.

Rain/Greasy and we aren't able to get roll ons and we struggle. We were the worst team as far as tackles inside 20/ try ratio last year.

Teams around us and the comp in general are getting better with line speed and being able to sustain it.

Defensively hell generally not sure I'd trade our top 13 for anyone. However despite being filled with rep players there are holes.

Not sure we'd rate in the Top 8 as far as speed, We'd be the shortest also ball skills we trial plenty of sides too.

We can make up for that is on the bench. We are that good in defence we could carry 3 poor defenders and still hold sides to a few tries. Peachey at centre is perfect example.

So getting the bench right for me is key

Munky

Coach
The team is built to dominate from our try line to the opposing twenty metre line.

Once in the attacking area the plan seems to be to attack the weakest link over and over until it breaks.

A well coached or solid team across the park we struggle against. Against the Broncos in two games and sixty minutes last year it was a punish to watch as their entire team was defensively sound.

Where as the Roosters with Keary and Walker we should be able to break down since they can be targeted.

Iamback

Coach
The team is built to dominate from our try line to the opposing twenty metre line.

Once in the attacking area the plan seems to be to attack the weakest link over and over until it breaks.

A well coached or solid team across the park we struggle against. Against the Broncos in two games and sixty minutes last year it was a punish to watch as their entire team was defensively sound.

Where as the Roosters with Keary and Walker we should be able to break down since they can be targeted.

We have won 3 comps from being built like that, Teams know what is coming

age.s

First Grade
Are we really comparing Cleary and Luai's 2023s?

Both started the year a couple of yards off the pace, but only one of them picked it up and climaxed with one of the greatest periods in grand final history to win his team a premiership.

Nath has earned some grace. Luai is a guy who isn't in our future setup and has looked ordinary for the better part of a year. If that turns into the better part of a year and a half questions need to be asked about his role.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Are we really comparing Cleary and Luai's 2023s?

Both started the year a couple of yards off the pace, but only one of them picked it up and climaxed with one of the greatest periods in grand final history to win his team a premiership.

Nath has earned some grace. Luai is a guy who isn't in our future setup and has looked ordinary for the better part of a year. If that turns into the better part of a year and a half questions need to be asked about his role.
When Nath has a bad game he's still kicking us around great and goalkicking at a gun percentage. When Luai does nothing he literally does nothing, he has had one of the easiest gigs in the NRL for his whole career.

martielang

Bench
When Nath has a bad game he's still kicking us around great and goalkicking at a gun percentage. When Luai does nothing he literally does nothing, he has had one of the easiest gigs in the NRL for his whole career.

Pleaseee. We had the WCC three weeks ago, controlled field position the whole game and still NC wasn’t sighted for the entire 80. The same can be said on Friday to a lesser extent. We could’ve played Joe Williams at 7 and been more effective.

For very different players they both have similar faults, being they sometimes just watch the game pass them by and don’t try impose themselves which I find so strange given how good they are - NC particularly.

age.s

First Grade
Pleaseee. We had the WCC three weeks ago, controlled field position the whole game and still NC wasn’t sighted for the entire 80.
Yeah but one competetive game prior to that he played like an immortal.

I get what you're saying, but Nath has many many more quality runs on the board than Luai. Throw in Luai moving on to "greener" pastures and it makes sense for him to be questioned in a way Nath isn't.

The yak

Juniors
Yeah but one competetive game prior to that he played like an immortal.

The last 20 minutes.
He hasn't peaked yet. I am not worried.

I get what you're saying, but Nath has many many more quality runs on the board than Luai. Throw in Luai moving on to "greener" pastures and it makes sense for him to be questioned in a way Nath isn't.

I don't have a problem with Luai getting questioned. When it is warranted.

Last year he was cold and hot.
To be fair, in the first 2 months of the year, most of the side was cooked. Luai was brilliant against the Roosters in r11 and the Storm in R23. Those two stand out to me.
He was solid from round 15 till his injury. He was very brave against Melbourne in the PF. Many thought he could be a liability. He wasn't.

Calling for him to step up, in his first game back in 5 months is silly.

The Realist

Juniors
He's been poor for 2 years now

Yep, as I have said 2023 was by far his worst of the grand final years, odd considering his World Cup form to start it. 2020-2022 you could make the case he was the best 5/8th in the competition. Now if I was building a team from scratch out of any NRL players I wouldn't consider picking him.

Defensively still a top tier 5/8, and opposition teams still have to be careful of his running game but in the core skills of a half - Passing, kicking, decision making he has regressed. The people saying that he looks a little lost without Kikau are looking more right as time goes on.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The last 20 minutes.
He hasn't peaked yet. I am not worried.

I don't have a problem with Luai getting questioned. When it is warranted.

Last year he was cold and hot.
To be fair, in the first 2 months of the year, most of the side was cooked. Luai was brilliant against the Roosters in r11 and the Storm in R23. Those two stand out to me.
He was solid from round 15 till his injury. He was very brave against Melbourne in the PF. Many thought he could be a liability. He wasn't.

Calling for him to step up, in his first game back in 5 months is silly.
Why? His job is to be the unpredictable spark when we get into those grinds, he didn't even fire a shot

The yak

Juniors
Why? His job is to be the unpredictable spark when we get into those grinds, he didn't even fire a shot

His 1st game in 5 months and you are expecting a masterclass?
He wasn't even match fit! Others who played in the WCC that had a hitout were average too. You don't call them out!

Chins get the wins

First Grade
His 1st game in 5 months and you are expecting a masterclass?
He wasn't even match fit! Others who played in the WCC that had a hitout were average too. You don't call them out!
He didn't fire a shot I said. He didn't get involved at all. Rust is fine, this was different

age.s

First Grade
I don’t have a vendetta against Luai. I love him as a player, love his swagger, his attitude and defence and at his best he's an invaluable bit of spark in a side that otherwise lacks it. I think we made the right decision (all things considered) keeping him over Burton. He's a club legend.

I just think he was routinely poor last year, albeit with a few exceptions, in a way none of our senior players were. He wasn't alone in being ordinary on Friday, but of all our premiership heroes, he's the only one who's place in the squad can reasonably be questioned imo. Plenty of time for him to turn it around ofc and I'm not suggesting Laurie in next week. But I don't see the idea of some competition for his spot being that crazy, especially if Laurie/Cole are burning things down in cup.

Latest posts