What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartman

Immortal
RL is simply a better TV product, there's no doubting that. It's still an awesome live product too - and the NRL doesn't know how to tell everyone that. What's the marketing budget at the NRL? 50 cents?
They kind of figured they didn't need to when they signed their lives away to show every game on payTv and be beholden to payTv's scheduling. They took the fan's enjoyment and patronage (especially in Sydney) for granted.

If they are serious about crowds, they will demand that games not be shown live, or that clubs can have the choice of their own gamedays and times to maximise their crowds, and TV will have to make do with having several games on at the same time - preferrably Sunday arvos in Sydney, so that families and older people who used to make up the bulk of big live crowds can get back in the regular league habit again.

My prediction is that the league are not serious about the actual crowds, but are just firefighting claims of decline and appearances of one-eighth full stadiums, whilst having their eyes mainly on bending over backwards for the money that half of itself is paying the rest of itself for the broadcast rights.

bartman

Immortal
If Saints and Chooks fans are fair dinkum,there will be 30k there this Friday night ... It should be HUGE and alot of publicity surely..both sides playing for Top 4 with the loser maybe finishing 7th.
I predict not much publicity (except preaching to the converted) and about 22K maximum?

Teddyboy

First Grade
For some reason Australian Rugby League must of hit the spot for some tv ex to get where it is today as back in the 80's the support for the club game/rep and international was pretty poor yet despite Aussie Rules getting all the big crowds in the 1980's and 90's it was League who had the super league sh*t in 1995,yet have a look at the crowds for Rugby League in the 1980's it looked more like a english div 3/4 Soccer league yet how has it lasted so long and in the past has stood up against Aussie Rules,Soccer and Rugby Union.
All i say is it must be popular sport with the armchair fan.

bobmar28

Bench
How many people knew of the "Kids get in free" deal for today's game? I only knew about it when I watched the Sunday Roast this morning, you can't blame the fans for not taking advantage of these offers when they are barely even marketed.

Good point, I only found out through an email from the Bulldogs.

Brutus

Referee
25k minimum for Saints v Rooters.

Anything less will be disappointing.

I might even go to the bloody thing and I don't support either side.

Brutus

Referee
RL is simply a better TV product, there's no doubting that. It's still an awesome live product too - and the NRL doesn't know how to tell everyone that. What's the marketing budget at the NRL? 50 cents?

They don't care really.

It's all about pay TV subscriptions.

Billythekid

First Grade
well young billy, it will in the future when their TV rights dont keep up with the NRLs.

:lol:. Seriously though this won't happen unless the NRL makes it happen and i have seen nothing that makes me think it will. The thing that bothers me most is that we got shafted in terms of dollars, but we also got shafted in terms of scheduling games to maximize crowds. It's a double blow.

More on topic, i think i might even be able to head down to the saints v roosters game and i live in Newcastle :sarcasm:. Hopefully it can get close to 30K but im not gonna expect that, i don't want to be disappointed again.

IllawarraGiant

Juniors

I dont get this demand for 'marketing' .... no other football game has to advertise itself in its heartland. There are no AFL adverts in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth, there are no EPL adverts in England.... people just take and interest and go. i dont get why we have to advertise our own game in our own backyard to raise 'interest/awareness'. Its just completely arse about.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I have no idea if I worked it out properly but I think we need a round 26 average of about 19.5k to beat the total tickets sold record from last year.
That would require a pretty big effort from every team involved this week to make the last round well attended across the board, including CUA, Shark Park and Parramatta stadium.
Unfortunately I dont think it'll happen...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As for next week:

SYD v STG @ SFS - 26k
BRI v NWC @ Suncorp - 43k
PEN v MAN @ CUA - 11k
CRO v NQL @ Toyota - 9k
PAR v NZW @ Parramatta - 10k
CAN v BUL @ Canberra - 14k
GCO v WES @ Skilled - 18k
MEL v SOU @ Olympic - 12k

Total: 143,000, Average: 17,875.

No chance IMO, although I'm hoping my estimates are conservative.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Yeah, I got a similar set of figures. I dont have all my info on hand but I'm pretty sure the story of this season will be a record season that should have been, spoiled by the implosion of 2 of our highest drawing teams the Dogs and Cowboys. If it weren't for their woeful seasons I'm pretty sure we'd be looking at the best season ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All things considered not a bad result! Don't think we could have had a more negative media year this year and as mentioned the poor form of the top Sydney drawing sides was a shame. Big dissapointment for me was Cronulla who showed great form yet still struggled crowd wise and Warriors who became another victim of having a poorly designed stadium for the prevailing weather conditions.

Too many sub 10,000 crowds this year as well. Makes our game look very poor when only 7,000 can be ar5ed to turn up to watch it.

All things considered not a bad result! Don't think we could have had a more negative media year this year and as mentioned the poor form of the top Sydney drawing sides was a shame. Big dissapointment for me was Cronulla who showed great form yet still struggled crowd wise and Warriors who became another victim of having a poorly designed stadium for the prevailing weather conditions.

Too many sub 10,000 crowds this year as well. Makes our game look very poor when only 7,000 can be ar5ed to turn up to watch it.

and the warriors got it upgraded recently too!

the dogs, tigers and souths are the big crowd clubs in sydney.

all have had fairly poor years which has affected crowds

penrith and the sharks are a real worry crowd wise.

re sub 10,000 crowds, i think they were lower than recent years.

VictoryFC

Bench
I dont get this demand for 'marketing' .... no other football game has to advertise itself in its heartland. There are no AFL adverts in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth, there are no EPL adverts in England.... people just take and interest and go. i dont get why we have to advertise our own game in our own backyard to raise 'interest/awareness'. Its just completely arse about.

Completely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts