What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final played in Melbourne?

[/QUOTE]
SYDNEY IS WHERE THE GAME WAS f**kING BORN!!!!!!!

Thats like saying Melbourne don't deserve the AFL Grand Final.

It's the home of the game in Australia.

I've read some dumb arguments in the past, but this sh*t takes the f**king cake.[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to say this too, have no drama with expansion and promotion of the game.
But the grand final needs to be IN SYDNEY

Bulldog Force

Referee
Melbourne should host the final and even Brisbane as a second option, but why would you have it in sydney, they dont even deserve it
loltears.gif

Yep, right good-one
Canterbury averaged 24k this yr followed by the broncos with 20k, the titans dragons and souths with 18k respectivley and wests with 17.
Melbourne came in at 13.5

Engage ya brain before posting mate

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if its 12k its still a sh*thouse home crowd for the so called "home of sport". All you ever hear is some stupid f**ken cow bell
Consider that Brisbane with one team, averages more than every other side, and they have probably around 35% of the population that Melbourne has, as well as having an AFL side, a Union side, a soccer team etc.

Evolution

Juniors
Consider that Brisbane with one team, averages more than every other side, and they have probably around 35% of the population that Melbourne has, as well as having an AFL side, a Union side, a soccer team etc.

Wow how great they must be.

Funny that every single AFL club manages to beat the monster that is Brisbane when it comes to average home game attendance in 2009, some even doubling it.

They are clearly the sports capital of Australia.

Melbourne may soon have a Union team, The Victory brings in double the crowd that the Sydney and Brisbane teams do and Melbourne even has a team in the national basketball comp.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow how great they must be.

Funny that every single AFL club manages to beat the monster that is Brisbane when it comes to average home game attendance in 2009, some even doubling it.

They are clearly the sports capital of Australia.

Melbourne may soon have a Union team, The Victory brings in double the crowd that the Sydney and Brisbane teams do and Melbourne even has a team in the national basketball comp.
and 3 times the population in a piece of land about one twentieth the size of Queensland.

Argue all you like, but the facts are that Brisbane and Queensland support more sports more passionately than any other state.

camsmith

Juniors
We are the sports capital of Australia.

But this is a stupid idea. Keep it in Sydney at least for the time being (as in, 20+ years). As others have said, if anyone other than NSW ought to host it, it should be Brisbane.

madunit said:
Argue all you like, but the facts are that Brisbane and Queensland support more sports more passionately than any other state.

Sorry but that is wrong. Victorian support for AFL alone beats anything in Queensland. Then we have the Soccer than is more passionately supported than anywhere else in Australia. Rugby League is growing in support. We are the only state that has regularly supported Basketball.

Then you have the Golf events, Motor Sport (F1's, V8's), Netball and Tennis that are all very well supported.

Queensland has three RL teams, two of which are well supported. One very much so. The Lions attract a decent crowd. The Reds also attract ok crowds but after that? And do they really support anything other than Queensland in SoO and the Broncos passionately in great numbers? Not really.

This however, is slightly off-topic.

gonzerelli

Juniors
Maybe they should try to achieve these things first:
* Broadcast Rugby League live on Friday nights in Victoria, rather than showing reruns of Airport, and leaving it until the next morning (1am or so) to broadcast;
* Getting enough people along to Melbourne Storm matches during the regular season that they actually fill up Olympic Park;
* Fill up the ground at any finals match in Melbourne (less than 25k at a ground that can hold 56k for a final, winner going onto the grand final, is hardly a huge indicator of support for the sport in the city)

LESStar58

Referee
Victoria to tackle NRL in grand final pitch

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/30/2700802.htm
Posted September 30, 2009 14:06:00

Grand final pitch ... future deciders could be played at the MCG (ABC News: Giulio Saggin, file photo)

The Victorian Government will make an audacious bid to poach the NRL grand final.

This year's match between the Melbourne Storm and the Parramatta Eels will be played in Sydney on Sunday.

Victoria's acting premier, Rob Hulls, says future deciders could be played at the MCG.

Mr Hulls denies the bid is a joke.

He says he will raise the matter with the New South Wales Government.
"The New South Wales Government ought to give serious consideration to having future grand finals of the rugby league here in Melbourne," he said.
"If the rugby league grand final was held in Melbourne, the MCG would be absolutely packed and I think the Storm deserves it."

This year will be the Storm's fourth straight appearance in the grand final.
Mr Hulls says the bid is serious.

"Let's not kid ourselves. Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia," he said.

"And what better opportunity to showcase rugby league and Melbourne Storm than to be considering having a grand final here in Melbourne."

A fella writing in the Age today touched on Hulls saying that. He described it as "political theatre".

Hulls is just doing his bit to talk up the Storm IMO. He can't be serious about making a play for the GF.

Even though I live here I get so farkin' sick of this "sporting capital" bullsh*t!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Red, did you miss the massive copy of the Telstra Trophy (its not a cup) at Darling Harbour? The massive coverage in the Telly, which talks about nothing else, the crowds watching Parra trainning, the mini footy field set up in Martin Place, free BBQs around the city....

Yeah Sydney doesn't do anything to promote the game. :roll: Try visiting a place before passing judgement. Much of the "atmosphere" in Melbourne is the result of media sensationalism, talking it up constantly, saturating all forms of coverage, creating the illusion of a "buzz", and painting a few trams...

Actually I did, I was in Sydney Sun-Tues, at Darling Harbour Sun night, in Circular Quay, the Rocks, Msrtin Place, Hyde Park and the wandering around the city and didn't see one single thing relating to the GF.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Actually I did, I was in Sydney Sun-Tues, at Darling Harbour Sun night, in Circular Quay, the Rocks, Msrtin Place, Hyde Park and the wandering around the city and didn't see one single thing relating to the GF.
What a shame. Yesterday (Thursday) they had the NRL Finals festival in Martin Place.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=346074

They took up the entire centre of Martin place. They had a giant TV, sausage sizzle, tackling bag, comps that give you tickets to the grand final, a TAB van, merchandise on sale, etc... and that was just Martin place. Today the same thing is going to happen. Have you seen Parramatta today? The whole town is painted Blue and Gold!

user_nat

Coach
If we could know 100% that Brisbane/Melbourne would be in a GF, I would have no problem with that final being played in Brisbane/Melbourne. It seems fair that the most dominant teams since this competition started actually get to play a GF at home some time.

However, there is no way to know early enough.

brad_19

Juniors
Yeah, 10,000 a game at Melbourne HOME games :lol:

Yeah, unfortunately Victorians perceive RL to be a minority sport. However, we've still proven we will turn out for the big matches eg: SOO, Semi-finals, Kangaroos etc.

Hopefully, our 12k average at home will lift with the new stadium as well.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are the sports capital of Australia.
Only a moron who has not lived anywhere else but Melbourne would say that.

Sorry but that is wrong.
No it's not.
Victorian support for AFL alone beats anything in Queensland.
Thats because all of Victoria supports AFL and NOTHING ELSE. [/quote]Then we have the Soccer than is more passionately supported than anywhere else in Australia.[/quote]bullsh*t.
Rugby League is growing in support.
bullsh*t.
We are the only state that has regularly supported Basketball.
And one of the first to threaten to quit. Other states have had basketball sides as well.

Then you have the Golf events, Motor Sport (F1's, V8's), Netball and Tennis that are all very well supported.
Gold Coast has Indy, Bathurst in NSW, Sydney and Brisbane have netball sides, Sydney's Pro tennis event, while not a major open is very well attended. As was the inaugural Pro tennis event in Brisbane last year. Rugby union is more passionately followed in both Brisbane and Sydney as well. Where's Melbourne's Union side?

Queensland has three RL teams,
I think you'll find the figure is a bit closer to 2.
two of which are well supported. One very much so.
All 3 are very well supported, given the population in their respective areas, compared to Melbourne.
The Lions attract a decent crowd.
and that's a lot of the time when an NRL match is on at the same time.
The Reds also attract ok crowds but after that?
I bet the reds get bigger crowds than the Victorian Union side.
And do they really support anything other than Queensland in SoO and the Broncos passionately in great numbers? Not really.
Why don't you go up there and have a f**kling look you dickhead. See this is the problem with a lot of you wankers in melbourne, you'll wank yourselves stupid about being the sporting capital of Australia, but you're completely ignorant and irrational about the other states.
This however, is slightly off-topic.
Who gives a flying f**k.

Trojan

Juniors
I don't think comparisons between AFL and NRL are warranted here. The debate is about playing the NRL Grand Final in Melbourne.

If the AFL played their Grand Final in Sydney they would sell 100,000 tickets no doubt.

If the NRL played their Grand Final in Melbourne I am not so certain the same could be said. NRL fans for whatever reason are reluctant to travel interstate to see RL whereas AFL fans will travel across the country.

The NRL Grand Final should stay in Sydney so that they can ensure a full stadium, it would look silly and embarrassing playing the NRL Grand Final at the MCG and not having a full stadium.

The Tank

Bench
I don't think comparisons between AFL and NRL are warranted here. The debate is about playing the NRL Grand Final in Melbourne.

If the AFL played their Grand Final in Sydney they would sell 100,000 tickets no doubt.

If the NRL played their Grand Final in Melbourne I am not so certain the same could be said. NRL fans for whatever reason are reluctant to travel interstate to see RL whereas AFL fans will travel across the country.

The NRL Grand Final should stay in Sydney so that they can ensure a full stadium, it would look silly and embarrassing playing the NRL Grand Final at the MCG and not having a full stadium.

I can guarantee they wouldn't because there isn't a stadium in Sydney which holds 100k

Pazza

First Grade

9524_156873693176_521848176_2784682_2322606_n.jpg

9524_156873718176_521848176_2784686_6250766_n.jpg

billyslaterharbourbridge_wideweb__470x324,0.jpg

missed out!