What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I buy his injury story. He is pretty old now though, may only have a few left in him. I probably wouldn't want to see one of them wasted on Belfort.

Special K

Coach
AMERICAN fighter James Toney has called Danny Green "a chicken" and said he would fight the Aussie world champion "tomorrow". Toney was quizzed repeatedly during the live blog promoting his UFC 118 fight with Randy Couture about his sparring session with Green.
"It was three brutal rounds for him and his face was like hamburger meat. I beat him up. I was trying to scare him, that chicken," replied Toney.
He made it clear that he would be happy to climb into the ring with Green.
"They know how to get hold of me but they are too scared, if you wanna fight me all you gotta do is get a hold of my promoter and i’ll fight him tomorrow if he wants," said the flamboyant American.

Pressed for details about his sparring session with the Australian, Toney confirmed that he was so worked up after the session that he went to his locker room and re-emerged with a handgun.
"Yeah I smashed his ass up. Yeah it was true, the gun. If Danny wants to fight me in a real fight, let me fight him. I have no problem with it, come to the United States, I’ll fight him in Las Vegas."
That confidence translated into Toney's views on his stoush with Couture.
"Randy can fight, but you will have to see how I am the best person in boxing and I can use that to take him down," he said.
"We are going live on August 29th in Australia and tell Danny Green to watch it. I can knock him out too."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...th-randy-couture/story-e6freygr-1225903425500

Gee it would be funny to see Green try and step into the octagon.

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
If Couture can put Toney on the floor, i cant see how Toney has any chance in hell.
I think the best stratergy for Randy would be to keep out of his range with a good variety of kicks and shoot for takedowns whenever given the oppertunity.
I just cant see how Toney can win this fight as long as Couture is smart and doesnt try to stand up with him.

Stonecutter

First Grade
If Couture can put Toney on the floor, i cant see how Toney has any chance in hell.
I think the best stratergy for Randy would be to keep out of his range with a good variety of kicks and shoot for takedowns whenever given the oppertunity.
I just cant see how Toney can win this fight as long as Couture is smart and doesnt try to stand up with him.

Greko Roman clinch then takedown has to be his game. If he clinch's and tries to dirty box that might play into Toneys hand. It might not be pretty and the fans will boo but I would shoot as soon as the bell went. This is boxing vs MMA after all. I hope Couture doesn't feel inclined to stand up with him just to please the fans.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
Ufc 118 Edgar V Penn rematch next week.
Who's your pick? I think Penn by sub or TKO late. Penn will be ready for edgar this time. I like the look of the Florian V maynard fight to will be a goodn'.

Stonecutter

First Grade
I haven't much of Jones' clinch game, but suffice it to say Evans has some of the strongest work in that area. And in the clinch, you have to think Jones' height advantage would become a disadvantage.

In any case, that would be an excellent match IMO.

How so? i'm no expert only done a few sessions of training, but i would think it would be tough for Evans to get Jones in the clinch due to having to reach for him and leaving himself wide open whilst doing so. Getting someone who is alot taller then you in a clinch would be pretty hard. Rampage was a snail against Evans so he had his way. Jones has speed with his height.

If he has BJJ he truly is the whole package.

Eelementary

Post Whore
How so? i'm no expert only done a few sessions of training, but i would think it would be tough for Evans to get Jones in the clinch due to having to reach for him and leaving himself wide open whilst doing so. Getting someone who is alot taller then you in a clinch would be pretty hard. Rampage was a snail against Evans so he had his way. Jones has speed with his height.

If he has BJJ he truly is the whole package.

I don't know - it's just how I reckon it would happen. I think it's a little harder for a tall, lanky fighter to get in the clinch because they have to sort of lean forward a little. A shorter fighter has less reach, but they can clinch standing more upright and it kind of gives them a little more leverage.

I'm not saying Jones is bad at the clinch - he's a complete fighter. But I also think Evans is a very complete package, and the only way I can separate them is their size difference tbh.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
I find it easier in a "clinch" when the opponent is shorter as said before it leaves their ribs open alittle more and its easier to get the knees up high. You can also lean on them a lot more, make them carry your weight.

Mind you in saying this I have had guys alot shorter then I am throw me around like a rag doll as well.

shiznit

Coach
i dont think it matters anyway... Rashad V Bones aint gonna happen any time soon.

that bullsh*t just pisses me off.... like Machida V Anderson etc....

Eelementary

Post Whore
I find it easier in a "clinch" when the opponent is shorter as said before it leaves their ribs open alittle more and its easier to get the knees up high. You can also lean on them a lot more, make them carry your weight.

Mind you in saying this I have had guys alot shorter then I am throw me around like a rag doll as well.

Cool. I have no experience myself, so I was just imagining what it would be like and I thought it would be easier. But I could be wrong!

i dont think it matters anyway... Rashad V Bones aint gonna happen any time soon.

that bullsh*t just pisses me off.... like Machida V Anderson etc....

Yeah it sucks. Bones V Evans would be a fantastic fight. I wish we could see it.

I think itd be sh*t, neither would be able to take each other down so the stronger one would have the other pinned up against the cage all night doing foot stomps or some sh*t.

Special K

Coach
Anyone catch Strikeforce over the weekend? Lashleys cut was hideous and he ended up in hospital due to dehydration. Should be interesting to see if he comes back

MattJ

Juniors
Anyone catch Strikeforce over the weekend? Lashleys cut was hideous and he ended up in hospital due to dehydration. Should be interesting to see if he comes back

Didnt see the fight, but heard there was some controversy with the ref stopping the fight while Lashley had full mount so the doc could look at a cut, when he was cleared to continue, they had to restart from stand up meaning Lashley lost his advantage and was pretty gassed getting into the dominant position to begin with.
Not having seen the fight, i dont know how much he was doing from on top of him or how big a difference this made to the fight, but seems like they should have restarted in the position it was interrupted.

Special K

Coach
Didnt see the fight, but heard there was some controversy with the ref stopping the fight while Lashley had full mount so the doc could look at a cut, when he was cleared to continue, they had to restart from stand up meaning Lashley lost his advantage and was pretty gassed getting into the dominant position to begin with.
Not having seen the fight, i dont know how much he was doing from on top of him or how big a difference this made to the fight, but seems like they should have restarted in the position it was interrupted.
I watched it last night while doing something and am at work so my memory of the fight may be hazy... But Lashley won the first round and did a take down in the second but was so gassed his punches didn't look to have much steam. They stood up and then Lashley tried for the take down but didn't even look like getting Griggs down and just kept getting hammered in the head. Badly...

Lashley is just to big and one dimensional. I've read this loss makes a fight between him and fellow former wwe wrestler Batista look like happening in strikeforce. I'll watch that for just how awkward it would be!

Status
Not open for further replies.