What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I watched it last night while doing something and am at work so my memory of the fight may be hazy... But Lashley won the first round and did a take down in the second but was so gassed his punches didn't look to have much steam. They stood up and then Lashley tried for the take down but didn't even look like getting Griggs down and just kept getting hammered in the head. Badly...

Lashley is just to big and one dimensional. I've read this loss makes a fight between him and fellow former wwe wrestler Batista look like happening in strikeforce. I'll watch that for just how awkward it would be!

But unlike Lahsley, Batista sucks lol.

Lashley is a very good amateur wrestler. Batista just...He's horrible.

Special K

Coach
As an MMA fighter Lashley is just... Horrible! Well ok not horrible but he isn't flash and would get dominated against any classy fighter. He does have a good take down though from his wrestling background. But he uses so much petrol to do them he is generally spent after them.

I like Lashley and would like him to do well in MMA but geez I can't see him making any real waves unless he improves his cardio and striking(and well his whole fighting game really) 110%.

Batista would just be plain funny to watch get knocked out! Freak show value...

shiznit

Coach
Bloody hell... what an anti-climax for main events...

the Toney V Couture match went as we all expected... but BJ Penn... how bad was he??

he should seriously be embarrassed. and his corner... what planet are they on??

deadset embarrassing display by BJ... but good on Frankie Edgar... showed it was definitely no fluke.

i dont know if he will be able to avenge his defeat against Maynard.... but mind you... the Frankie Edgar that lost to Maynard is worlds away from the LW champion that stands in front of us now.

Well done Frankie. The Maynard/Florian fight surprised me.

It seems like Wrestling really is the dominant tool in MMA atm.

Ratchy

Juniors
Well done Frankie. The Maynard/Florian fight surprised me.

It seems like Wrestling really is the dominant tool in MMA atm.

Rogan has started saying in commentary that to be a great MMA fighter a good wrestling base gives a figther a great advantage, will be interesting to see how Edgar handles the size different with Maynard.

shiznit

Coach
for sure... having wrestling as your base is such an advantage.

i think one of the reasons its gone that way is the fact that there doesn't seem to be many BJJ exponents who attack from there guard.

Even BJ Penn.... apart from rubber guard a couple of times i didnt see much from him on his back.

wrestlers can just take you down... get on top and just pound away.... Anderson Silva caught Sonnen... but i think that was more down to sloppiness on Sonnens end than Silva actively using his guard.

Ratchy

Juniors
One of the main reasons i can't wait to the see the rematch of Silva/Sonnen and see if anything was learnt by Silva from the first fight.

Special K

Coach
Surely he must have. I can't see Sonnen dominating THAT much again... Can't wait to see the rematch though!

shiznit

Coach
Surely he must have. I can't see Sonnen dominating THAT much again... Can't wait to see the rematch though!
Personally i think Anderson was shell-shocked that Sonnen took it to him in the stand up... IMO that set the tone for the entire fight.

MattJ

Juniors
Silva also claimed to have been carrying an injury into that fight, would be very interesting to see wether Sonnen can dominate again ahainst what should be a fully fit Silva, or wether Silva actually goes up a few gears and totally obliterates Sonnen.
Either way, im looking forward to Sonnens trash talking again, he backed it all up last time, i hope he can again.

Selachimorpha

Juniors
That fight is all about protecting George for a title shot. The UFC will be back in Australia next year and will want George vs Edgar/Maynard to headline, George beating Lauzon is a far safer bet than him beating Penn or Florian.

The only other competition for the shot is Evan Dunham if he beats Sherk, and unfortunately for Evan he's not a big regional drawcard like Sotiropoulos will be in Australia so he'll have to wait.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Does anyone know the song that Nate Marquardt came out to today? It was awesome.

Also, Charles Oliveira...Freak. What a talent that kid is.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Oliveira was getting figured out by effrain though in the stand up towards the end. Bloody hell what a finish though! tapped standing up. I don't know why effrain didn't try to roll him off his back? he just sort've stood and took it. In the end he gave up. didn't know what to do.

Weird ending to the Nate fight as well.

That fight is all about protecting George for a title shot. The UFC will be back in Australia next year and will want George vs Edgar/Maynard to headline, George beating Lauzon is a far safer bet than him beating Penn or Florian.

The only other competition for the shot is Evan Dunham if he beats Sherk, and unfortunately for Evan he's not a big regional drawcard like Sotiropoulos will be in Australia so he'll have to wait.

George in a title match in aus is not gonna happen. if the oz thing goes ahead its rumoured to be in feb. Maynard/Edgar is happening in January. thats too short of a turnaround.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oliveira was getting figured out by effrain though in the stand up towards the end. Bloody hell what a finish though! tapped standing up. I don't know why effrain didn't try to roll him off his back? he just sort've stood and took it. In the end he gave up. didn't know what to do.

Weird ending to the Nate fight as well.

Totally agree. I guess Oliveira's win was made the more impressive because he copped the accidental low blow and was obviously hurting and still finished the fight.

Escudero is no mug, though!

The Marquardt fight was bizarre...

Stonecutter

First Grade
Totally agree. I guess Oliveira's win was made the more impressive because he copped the accidental low blow and was obviously hurting and still finished the fight.

Escudero is no mug, though!

The Marquardt fight was bizarre...

Does anybody know the weigh in rules? Escudero was 4 pounds over the 155 limit set for the fight. I was suprised the commentators didn't mention it. I know with the belt on the line if a fighter is over 1 pound over then it can't go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.