What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Eels stars Mick Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn consider rebel ticket

CrazyEel

Bench
Will be interesting to see if Crow actually does put his hand up, personally I wish he would but doubt he will go through with it.

Is anyone else sick of hearing about the parramatta board every 5 minutes?

Has anyone wondered why board members don't get paid diddly? Its because they really don't do much.

They select a ceo and the ceo runs everything for them, usually with their own executive committee. The boards job usually is to attend a regular, usually monthly meeting, where the ceo lets them know what happened last month. Then they all pat each other on the back and go have a few beers in the club.

The only reason why the last election was so significant was that after 20 years of the same ceo the board was no longer monitoring him, Fitzy was wearing so many hats he seemed to have lost sight of what he was meant to be achieving.

The sooner that the board elections go back to receiving a letter in the post that it is time to vote again, the better.

:clap: people have short memories.....

Gronk

Staff member
That would be the truth too...

The guys youy mention have been active in whatever they do or did

What has the Bear been doing the last 25 years and why put his hand up now? what expertise can he possibly bring?

I already answered that. Here it is again for you ..

The Bear ? I think that he'd bring a tad more footy knowledge to the board than many of the pretenders on there ATM. Why do we need Sassen, Saad, Libertini & Wallace anywhere near the football team ? Let them provide their expertise in HR, Catering etc to the LC by all means.

Peter Wynn - successful businessman of many years standing
Mick Cronin - successful businessman of many years standing
Bob O'Reilly - not sure exactly what he did after footy, but he'd have just as much passion for our jersey as Price, Kenny and Grothe imo.

When you're talking about the football club Board (December elections), these are the type of guys you want in there imo, not the human headline like Price has proved to be. When you're talking about the leagues club Board (April-May elections), the first two definitely rank up there as the type you'd want around, imo.

As for the Leagues club. Peter Wynn runs a small sports store in Parramatta, Cronin once ran a pub down south. Not exactly the Business heads you want when your talking a multi million dollar business. We are not talking about your corner milkbar. Look at the Rooster board of directors. We need proper people in there with excellent business acumen. Not some old footy legends who don't have an idea how a BIG business is run.

Just some questions.... isn't the LC turning over a profit this year? Did they turn over a profit with old board? Didn't the old board have former greats on the board as well? If we put in former grates in again will we go down the same track of not turning over a profit like the previous board?

As for the Football Club ..... Wynn and Cronin would only be good for The Football board, I whole heartedly agree.

CrazyEel

Bench
Personally I would prefer no ex-footballers on the LC board but the way we are structured I can't see much hope of that happening. We could do with a few more truly independent professionals on the LC board IMO.

The FC is pretty much irrelevant these days without the NRL team so it's main value seems to be getting FC directors appointed to the LC board. In that respect I really believe Crow would bring a stabilising and calming influence to both boards.

As for the others not so sure, it's just my personal opinion but like some existing FC directors although Bear might be a good guy and a fun fella to have a drink with they don't make what I consider good board material and I say that with no disrespect to any of them.

Just some questions.... isn't the LC turning over a profit this year?

Supposedly, we wait for the Annual report.

Did they turn over a profit with old board?

Absolutely until the last election period the club made between 1 and 5 Million profit a year. Including the years we invested about 2.1 million a year into a Soccer club.

Didn't the old board have former greats on the board as well?

Yes it did

If we put in former grates in again will we go down the same track of not turning over a profit like the previous board?

Huh? the previous board made several profits, if you know your history, it wouldn't be a Mystery.

As for the Football Club ..... Wynn and Cronin would only be good for The Football board, I whole heartedly agree.

Show me where they have said they will run for the LC position yet.

I think Peter Wynn would be great on the Football Club board. As for the leagues club board i think it is fine now unless they can find the leak and dispose of them.

cv8z

Juniors
I already answered that. Here it is again for you ..

He won't have any input into the FG team. So what would be the purpose of the 3 former greats running for the FC unless they plan to run fr the LC as well then we're back to ex footballers running the LC.

Supposedly, we wait for the Annual repor
Absolutely until the last election period the club made between 1 and 5 Million profit a year. Including the years we invested about 2.1 million a year into a Soccer club.

Yes it did

Huh? the previous board made several profits, if you know your history, it wouldn't be a Mystery.

Show me where they have said they will run for the LC position yet.

Sorry I don't know the financial history of the club. Thanks for the info.
So if we had such a good financial history why would the old board only give us 5 years existence?

Gronk

Staff member
So if we had such a good financial history why would the old board only give us 5 years existence?

Jake go back to my first post in the letter from the Board thread and I have explained the 5 year thing.

Okay so in the 2008 Financial year the LC made a loss of about 5 Million dollars, or at least that was what was declared. In the next years financial statement which indicated a 9 Million dollar loss, it stated that the club was using a new accounting model and based on that the previous years figures would have been a 1 million dollar profit.

The LC's 9 Million dollar loss, was a paper loss, the value of the properties went down by 4 million and the remodeling for Reno Gardens the outdoor pokies area, was included for the first time (having just been completed in late 2009). This meant that all of the depreciation on those purchases (not the purchases themselves but the fact that they depreciate over time) saw the other 4 million loss. With the club actually using about 1 million of savings to pay its mandated grants. $500,000 to the Rugby side, but since it was sold (the premises) it would be the last time that grant had to be paid and another $500,000 to other charities.

The Before that the club has been making solid profits since the Super League war ended.

The clubs Board did not say it only had 5 years worth of existence left to it. In reality neither did Denis, Denis simply stated that he could not Guarantee the Eels would be around in 5 years and there was an implication that the states poker machines taxes could be the cause.

Denis urged all members at the FC AGM in 2007 to write to their local MP and voice their concerns about the Pokie tax and what it was doing to our Sport.

Interestingly I believe there was a piece in the Sunday paper, that had Barry O'Farrell, Tim Mannah and a Tigers player pictured in the LC's reception area, saying that a Liberal government would roll back the poker machine taxes.

Now it is true that Ovo was the Chairman of the board when we had the Parramatta power. Which yes cost 12 million over 5 years, but in some of those years the club was spending between 4 and 6 million per year on the Football side and was still making 5 million profit per year.

Yes we bought a Rugby Team, well actually we bought a Rugby Club's licensed premises and the commitment to the team it was involved with. We bought that club cash, and still made the profits we made.

In 2004 when the poker machines taxes came in, the Power were cut, and other things that were not making money were as well. Perhaps you have heard of a few of them? The TAB at Sterlos. The Cumberland lounge was turned into a Money making Chinese restaurant! Yet the taxes started to cut into our bottom line.

I came onto this site in 2007 or maybe 2006 and spoke about my concerns that the LC was only making 1 million profit that year, yet most of the time my concerns went without much comment. I spoke with Ovo about them and he agreed it was a concern and told me that changes were being put in place to become more profitable with Bakers Mews.

I think that brings you pretty much up to date.

The Power were created to put on More events at Parramatta stadium, to get a better go for the club, either by owning the stadium or getting a long term management lease for the LC to run events at the Stadium and make it more profitable.

Interestingly, having come from the PESC meeting tonight, Paul Osbourne is currently still talking about speaking with who ever forms a government in NSW next March (he has spoken to Barry and someone on the ALP side already) about getting a better deal for the club as the only hirer of the Stadium, indeed maybe try to get a long term lease for our club to run the stadium. This would mean then our club could affect the quality and price of the food and beverages provided. Which is something I am sure we all want to see.

Last edited:
Also, Paul Osbourne stated that our contract at Parramatta Stadium sees us spend about $1million to play our 10 games their. Most people know we have to get over 8000 people to a game to even think about making the lease costs back every game.

Taking those figures and the fact the power played more that 10 home games a year at the stadium you can see where most of the Money went. On Renting the stadium to put on the event, to prove we need a better deal at the Stadium.

It did work to a point, as well Denis and Ovo were on the board of the Stadium and got a large number of things done to the facilities, but could never talk about prices for the club to hire it, that was up to the rest of the board. I believe in 2007 most of the board were replaced with people who had large ALP leanings, with an aim to make the Clubs running of the Stadium more difficult, because Fitzy and Ovo approved a re-modeling of some of the dressing rooms out of the Stadiums Profit, and that angered many in the State government.

Fishy and I have been looking at the Stadiums balance sheet since that, and not once has the stadium made a profit. Each year they have had to dip into the $5million grant to build the southern (Ray Price) grand stand, provided by the State Government (to cover costs) This includes the upgrade to the car park. The Hand rails and of course the $60,000 for the Bronze statue of Ray Price as an apology for removing his name from the Cumberland lounge.

CrazyEel

Bench
I don't see it as blowing dough. That's sport.

I don't see the money the leagues club grant to the football team as blowing dough either. IRS an expensive game.

Maroubra
Umm I do, the Leagues club was formed with the sole purpose of financially supporting the Parramatta Rugby League football club, that was the sole purpose for creating it in the first place.

The fact that our previous CEO moved it away from it's original purpose and blew funds on foolish enterprises is indeed blowing dough IMO.