What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Eels stars Mick Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn consider rebel ticket

Parra Future

Juniors
I wonder if Col will run with these guys..if they run.

Haynzy, I will be running for the Leagues Club. I will be part of a ticket that won't be announced for a little while yet. For people who are wondering about qualifications, I am a Graduate in Corporate Management and have been running businesses for over ten years now. I have completed Marketing, Human Resources, Financial Analysis, Information Technology and other courses at MBA level and have been implementing what I learnt for a long period of time now. I don't wish to get on the board for any freebies, flights, merchandise, tickets or any other priviledges that may come with that position including a salary. I was discussing that fact with an individual today that I would be more than happy to donate whatever salary I would receive if elected to a charity and any gifts or merchandise as well. I just want to assist in the rebuilding, not hang around too long, just long enough to get the job done, feel proud to be able to have that honour of involvement and then be succeeded by fresh blood when the time is right.

Col.

bartman

Immortal
As for the Leagues club. Peter Wynn runs a small sports store in Parramatta, Cronin once ran a pub down south. Not exactly the Business heads you want when your talking a multi million dollar business. We are not talking about your corner milkbar. Look at the Rooster board of directors. We need proper people in there with excellent business acumen. Not some old footy legends who don't have an idea how a BIG business is run.
Cronin still does run a hotel, it was mentioned in the article that's where they are meeting and I was down there not long ago and he was was still running the joint, not bad to keep something like that in business for 25+ years.

I personally don't see the difference between running a decent sports store (probably second only to Rebel?) or a hotel versus running a restaurant (Libertini) or a flooring company (Sid Kelly). But keep bagging them all you like Jake.

As for the other negative questions in your post, they've been shown up/answered by more informed minds than mine.

Cronin still does run a hotel, it was mentioned in the article that's where they are meeting and I was down there not long ago and he was was still running the joint, not bad to keep something like that in business for 25+ years.

I personally don't see the difference between running a decent sports store (probably second only to Rebel?) or a hotel versus running a restaurant (Libertini) or a flooring company (Sid Kelly). But keep bagging them all you like Jake.

As for the other negative questions in your post, they've been shown up/answered by more informed minds than mine.

Shown up??? Is that the way your thinking. It's not a competition bartman and were not trying to show one another up. You've got to stop taking these things so personally.

I'm not bagging them. I just think we deserve better business people to run our club.I'm talking big business. Look at the Roosters.

Ohhh negativity, don't be silly. Who's negative on this forum bartman? It's a happy forum.

Peter Wynns 2nd to Rebel? Don't think so. Peter Wynns is way way down the food chain.he's got a nice litte store.

Haynzy, I will be running for the Leagues Club. I will be part of a ticket that won't be announced for a little while yet. For people who are wondering about qualifications, I am a Graduate in Corporate Management and have been running businesses for over ten years now. I have completed Marketing, Human Resources, Financial Analysis, Information Technology and other courses at MBA level and have been implementing what I learnt for a long period of time now. I don't wish to get on the board for any freebies, flights, merchandise, tickets or any other priviledges that may come with that position including a salary. I was discussing that fact with an individual today that I would be more than happy to donate whatever salary I would receive if elected to a charity and any gifts or merchandise as well. I just want to assist in the rebuilding, not hang around too long, just long enough to get the job done, feel proud to be able to have that honour of involvement and then be succeeded by fresh blood when the time is right.

Col.

Sounds good Col. Will your ticket have any links to Fitzgerald?

bartman

Immortal
"Shown up" was a joke Jake. It referred to your style of posting lately on this issue, where you start with negative rejection of a position without following the details. I had a laugh, and don't take anything personally (and I hope you don't too) ;-).

As for Peter Wynn, maybe I live in a sheltered world, but I would have thought Sports stores hierarchy went Rebel, Peter Wynn or Mick Simmons (maybe equal)... including looking for good deals online sales. I wouldn't be able to name any other sports stores to go to?

If the Eels could attract big businessmen to be on the Board, then by all means. But I think that discussion was had two years ago and no-one could come up with any likely takers, of the Roosters/Souths business people variety?

cv8z

Juniors
"Shown up" was a joke Jake. It referred to your style of posting lately on this issue, where you start with negative rejection of a position without following the details. I had a laugh, and don't take anything personally (and I hope you don't too) ;-).

As for Peter Wynn, maybe I live in a sheltered world, but I would have thought Sports stores hierarchy went Rebel, Peter Wynn or Mick Simmons (maybe equal)... including looking for good deals online sales. I wouldn't be able to name any other sports stores to go to?

If the Eels could attract big businessmen to be on the Board, then by all means. But I think that discussion was had two years ago and no-one could come up with any likely takers, of the Roosters/Souths business people variety?

Does glen Duncan not qualify?
And don't underestimate couple of others on the board.

Trust me Peter Wynns is only a very small fish. Sportsco. Athletes foot, insport are just some chains with many stores aust wide.

Nothings taken personally. In the end we want what's best for the club.

I feel some people haven't gotten over the last election loss and are over dramatising some points for political gain.

Do you think the current board has done anything that is positive? If yes, what?

fish eel

Immortal
TBH, i think its a bit of a myth you need all this business experience to be on the board of the leagues club. It helps, sure, but its more important you employ the right people to run it day to day

cv8z

Juniors
TBH, i think its a bit of a myth you need all this business experience to be on the board of the leagues club. It helps, sure, but its more important you employ the right people to run it day to day

I'd like to see the board extend beyond seven directors.
All with diverse backgrounds

bartman

Immortal
Does glen Duncan not qualify?
And don't underestimate couple of others on the board.
I had never heard of Pirtek prior to their sponsorship, not being a car person at all. Duncan hasn't been elected by the members, and there's the matter of being the major sponsor and on the Board which needs to be kept in check (unless we are to go down the private ownership path, which is a whole other kettle of fish).
I tend to agree with that Fish. Being a Director is a monitoring role, you're not actually the one doing the day to day work. You need to give checks and balances and direction to the ones who are employed to do so, basically know your way around a monthly finance report and be able to ask questions, and listen to the members and take up their issues. Big business experience doesn't automatically mean you have those monitoring or communication skills in other fields.
Trust me Peter Wynns is only a very small fish. Sportsco. Athletes foot, insport are just some chains with many stores aust wide.

Nothings taken personally. In the end we want what's best for the club.

I feel some people haven't gotten over the last election loss and are over dramatising some points for political gain.

Do you think the current board has done anything that is positive? If yes, what?
Thanks Jake, I'd forgotten those sports chains, they don't have outlets where I shop. Wynn's got very good exposure then for such a small operator.

I voted for the current guys, so its not the result I need to get over - it's the disappointment that they haven't delivered (or come close) on several of the main promises that convinced me to give them my votes.

Good things they've done... the automatic door on the third floor balcony, the turn around of some club lines mentioned in their report like catering (as credited in another thread).

Balancing with all the disruption to the team through their media antics (and this letter seems just another one of them), the amateur hour of messing up Cayless' retirement and chasing signatures like Cronk and Cooper through the media, the failure to foster any membership input through promised forums or improved communications, their apparent witch hunt for any staff employed by Fitzy, their amateurish hsacking of the coach, the fact you can't trust Spagnolo at his public word, etc... to me the balance just doesn't add up for this lot.

fish eel

Immortal
MITS, I think that Coalition promise re pokies was reducing the rate marginally, around the 2 cent mark?

Also the trust I thought got more than 5 million? Around the 6 mark? Could be wrong? But looking at their annual reports not sure you can say for sure they've dipped into, but one year it def got shuffled around to make a profit.

The stadium seems to be a bit of a money drain on all parties

MITS, I think that Coalition promise re pokies was reducing the rate marginally, around the 2 cent mark?

Also the trust I thought got more than 5 million? Around the 6 mark? Could be wrong? But looking at their annual reports not sure you can say for sure they've dipped into, but one year it def got shuffled around to make a profit.

Yeah no problem, I didn't read it, I was busy with something else on Sunday, until the tire delaminated and put #5 into the wall at the cutting.

Yeah no problem, I didn't read it, I was busy with something else on Sunday, until the tire delaminated and put #5 into the wall at the cutting.

Gronk

Staff member
That's a very good point Gronk.

Wouldn't life be good if we had a great bunch of like-minded Directors who brought to the table a wide mix of experience with a common goal of success and without agendas, power grabbing antics and jobs for the boys.

Latest posts