What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst halfback in NRL 2011

Worst halfback?

• Total voters

grouch

First Grade
A poor halfback is a millstone around a team's neck, anchoring them to the floor of the NRL. Who is the worst starting halfback this year?

My pick: Sandow. At least the other two have taken a team to the finals at some point

Von

Juniors
I voted for Sandow.

I think it is too soon to judge Mortimer. He has talent and pedigree. Let's see how he goes this year.

Smith is hot and cold (on and off the field). Has done some good things.

Sandow can do some good things also but not frequently enough. His attitude lets him down.

grouch

First Grade
Really? I thought Lui did some very good work late last year - was particularly good in the prelim final

mxlegend99

Referee
Tim Smith for mine. He was such an amazing talent when he started in first grade and now shows very little promise at all. That's not to say he couldn't bounce back from here, but of those 3 he is the worst IMO.

Chris Sandow is really only terrible defensively, and Daniel Mortimer could really go either way at this stage.

perverse

Referee
had you titled the thread "which are you most likely to actually feed" i might have been able to choose.

Big Pete

Referee
Sandow is only 21 as well, great talent just needs to get his head straight.

Smith for mine.

boxhead

First Grade
Mortimer has mostly played five-eighth in his first-grade career, and it is unknown if he will play halfback in 2011, but the evidence points to him doing so.
I agree with mxlegend99, Tim Smith is the pick for mine; immensely talented but has little consistency or motivation.
Sandow is a good offensive halfback and Mortimer could indeed go either way.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lui still does the "Standing around like a brown cow" far too much for my liking.

Lambretta

First Grade
Sandow showed enough improvement in 2010 to get the "worst" tag off his back - I can't believe he is leading the votes by some distance.

I voted for Tim Smith as well. He just hasn't shown enough improvement for me to believe he is a long term prospect in the NRL. Yes he came in with a bang, but he then faded badly when people worked him out and he's yet to recover.

Mortimer is in the same boat, but he's only young and still has the potential but was possibly the worst halfback of 2010.

As for 2011? Well who knows, all three could have excellent seasons - but I get the feeling that Tim Smith is the least likely of the three to do so.

Eels Dude

Coach
Mortimer has mostly played five-eighth in his first-grade career, and it is unknown if he will play halfback in 2011, but the evidence points to him doing so.
I agree with mxlegend99, Tim Smith is the pick for mine; immensely talented but has little consistency or motivation.
Sandow is a good offensive halfback and Mortimer could indeed go either way.

Tim Smith goes alright. Sometimes he's guilty of trying too hard. Let's face it, how well could he play inside a backline uncapable of finding a hole in a 2 dollar hooker.

gronkathon

First Grade
Mortimer.

It's not that he will have less sucky moments than Sandow or Smith but its that his best doesn't actually impress. He is solid, he ia a good supporter of the ball but his kicking game is sh*te and his passing is not up to par

NAS

Juniors
Sandow showed enough improvement in 2010 to get the "worst" tag off his back - I can't believe he is leading the votes by some distance.

I voted for Tim Smith as well. He just hasn't shown enough improvement for me to believe he is a long term prospect in the NRL. Yes he came in with a bang, but he then faded badly when people worked him out and he's yet to recover.

Mortimer is in the same boat, but he's only young and still has the potential but was possibly the worst halfback of 2010.

As for 2011? Well who knows, all three could have excellent seasons - but I get the feeling that Tim Smith is the least likely of the three to do so.

I think Sandow's a bit of a polarising player at the moment, because of his cockiness.

whilst it's going to serve him very well in years to come, it kind of puts people off him...........When he celebrates smashing a bloke for eg.

Those who watch Sandow alot know that he's a far better player than some give him credit........Even his defence is better than statistics show...he's a gritty little bastard who doesn't give up. He might miss the tackle, but he rarely actually concedes the line break..... I recall Brett Kimmorley was a similar player in his younger days.....Sandow I believe will grow into a very good player.

As for worst, a few players could be in line for that this year, and it's a little unfair to pre judge...........Consider that Luke Walsh had a great season last year, but this year will have plenty of attention. Also the likes of Hodkinson will be going through his second year (both Sandow and Mortimer struggled with it), Manly's halfback hasn't even made his debut yet, and last year's worst halfback, Scott Dureau no longer plays in the NRL......

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Special K

Coach
Tim Smith by far. Nobody is even close.

This guy is the dickhead who tackled a player when we had the ball for no reason. He is an idiot of the highest order. Every kick in their 20 goes dead, every pass is a bullet and every tackle is missed. Throw in a sh*t attitude you have one very painful number 7.