What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another AFL wanker bagging out the great game

manoj p

Juniors
Barry Cassidy's wife. :lol:

She'll be part of the Offsiders soon with that effort.

Pathetic. How is 60 less than 12 for AFL/NRL off field incidents in 2010?

ABC has no credibility when it comes to sport. They seem to think the rules that apply elsewhere stop at the edges of sporting fields.

RL1908

Bench
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-about-to-change/story-e6frg7t6-1226125789329

Watch out, the rules are about to change
Imre Salusinszky

IN western Sydney, rugby league officials have announced plans to set up a fighting fund, following reports local councils have developed 44 Australian football ovals in the region for 3000 junior hopefuls - an average of 68 players an oval.

Apparently, the followers and administrators of rugby league have realised the awful truth: the AFL is coming for your young men and is intent on converting them to the religion of the four big sticks.

What was your first clue, guys? Was it the fact rolled-gold league stars such as Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau have started defecting to AFL, when we don't frequently hear Chris Judd or Lance Franklin toying with a switch to rugby league?

The dinosaurs must have had a moment like this: "Hey, Larry, have you noticed how much less there's been around to eat since that fireball in the sky our ancestors told us about?"

Sure, Sydney's west has twigged a little earlier than we anticipated, but that can only delay our plans, not defeat them.

Australian football is superior: not just marginally but to an extent that means soccer and the rugby codes are destined for extinction, at least as major spectator sports in this country.

Soccer: well, there's an ideal team sport for kids if ever there were one. (Professional soccer players appear to be wanting to make this exact point, with their childlike behaviour - that is, pretending things hurt a lot more than they actually do.)

As for rugby league and union: comparing these with Australian football is like comparing the instructions on a can of Pal with Milton's Paradise Lost.

First, let's state the obvious, which is too seldom stated: the distinction between league and rugby is a class distinction.

Second, the appeal of either code to women is way, way below Australian football.

In the four capital cities where AFL rules - Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide and Perth - it is a sport followed equally by men and women of all classes.

It has also become the most successful point of equal contact and exchange between indigenous Australians and the rest of the community.

So, as we approach the AFL finals next month, let's reaffirm that Australian football is a celebration of life, and the most significant cultural achievement in this nation's history.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Lol this article reads like somebody who has issues. He just doesn't get it and clearly laps up every story the australian androtrop league serves him.

"Australian football is superior", "extinction of other codes". what an idiot

RL1908

Bench
Do you reckon upon Andy D seeing that sort of AFL opinion piece in a national audience newspaper that he stands and applauds, or does he bang his head against the table?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
It has also become the most successful point of equal contact and exchange between indigenous Australians and the rest of the community.

yes AFL players are a beacon of open-mindedness and understanding towards other cultures and nationalities

gUt

Coach
When the VFL inevitably collapses in a heap following its overreach, articles like this will bring us much joy and many lulz. So keep em coming imo.

Do you reckon upon Andy D seeing that sort of AFL opinion piece in a national audience newspaper that he stands and applauds, or does he bang his head against the table?

He should bang his head.

It's exactly the sort of article I like to see because it puts, in a nutshell, what they really think about their game and what they're prepared to say, lies and all, in an attempt to convince everyone that their game is what we want.

I'd be quite happy for that article to be at the frontline of the "war".

RL1908

Bench
He should bang his head.

It's exactly the sort of article I like to see because it puts, in a nutshell, what they really think about their game and what they're prepared to say, lies and all, in an attempt to convince everyone that their game is what we want.

I'd be quite happy for that article to be at the frontline of the "war".

"You know, Imre, I never really thought about it like that. You're right. Where can I sign up to join?"

lol Sean, I might just do that.

Assuming that it's a serious article, the more people that get to see it the better.

He, like many others of his ilk, is in for a hell of a shock...

typicalfan

Coach
But who is he trying to tell? Is he trying to tell Sydney or is he trying to tell the people "back home" in Victoria, Tasmania etc.

We see it for what it is, it is vomit worthy cringing bs but the people down south lap it up as gospel like they are priests and sending out the good word. It just increases the delusion down there that AFL is in any kind of position to become powerful here.

some11

Referee
Meh, if its that easy to become a journalist and offer your opinion maybe I should try it.

Trolling in the media :lol:

RL1908

Bench
But who is he trying to tell? Is he trying to tell Sydney or is he trying to tell the people "back home" in Victoria, Tasmania etc.

We see it for what it is, it is vomit worthy cringing bs but the people down south lap it up as gospel like they are priests and sending out the good word. It just increases the delusion down there that AFL is in any kind of position to become powerful here.

On evidence so far all Hunt & Folau have been doing is flogging the self-declared superiority of AFL to the AFL world.

docbrown

Coach
The article was missing the follow sentence

*This has been a paid advertisement brought to you by the AFL corporation

I read The Australian every day, and that piece wasn't even in the sports section. It was hiding at the back bottom right of the Opinions section (A Plus) under the, appropriately titled "Mind Games" section.

And to be fair, his articles (always in The Wry Side) show he is someone who has his tongue so firmly in his cheek that it is probably poking through. My guess he is actually siding with us, poking fun at the AFL for roping in 3000 kids and some footy ovals and expecting Andrew Demitreau to re-create George Bush Jr's "Mission Accomplished" moment in the middle of Blacktown before GWS fumble a ball in confusion.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Are people in Melbourne as worried about the success of the Storm as they are in Sydney about the possible success of Sydney based AFL teams? I'm not up to speed so a genuine question.

If Mexicans are not concerned is it because they are conceited enough to think there's room for a sport that could never seriously threaten their god given one?

Are Sydneysiders giving too much relevance and therefore too much free advertising to AFL?

The big question for me is how many young men in Sydney have the physical requirements to play AFL

Latest posts