What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

whall15

Coach
How could anyone know? NSW are overmatched by Queensland at nearly every position, and the key players for Qld have played together for many series' now.

The only areas where NSW matches the Maroons are at fullback (only if Hayne plays there) and the back-row.

On top of that, Queensland have several of the best players in the game - Slater, Inglis, Thurston, Smith, Thaiday. There are only three genuine stars eligible for the NSW team, and one is picked out of position (Hayne), another has never strung two full seasons together (Carney), and the third won game 2 by himself this year (Gallen).

And the third one is picked out of position aswell.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And the third one is picked out of position aswell.

I'd go as far as to say that the Blues played with two central back-rowers and only one prop in games 2 and 3.

Gallen's game at front-row is no different to how he plays at lock - 80 minutes of non-stop brutal quality. The guy is an absolute freak.

Parra

Referee
"It's not like you can tell the difference anyway."

I can tell the difference just fine. I just don't try and smear everything with positive spin. The last thing we need is more useless spin doctors. When something is good just say so. Same when it isn't. It is no big deal.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'd go as far as to say that the Blues played with two central back-rowers and only one prop in games 2 and 3.

Gallen's game at front-row is no different to how he plays at lock - 80 minutes of non-stop brutal quality. The guy is an absolute freak.

I'd go one further. I reckon we had 3 central backrowers and no props.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I can tell the difference just fine. I just don't try and smear everything with positive spin. The last thing we need is more useless spin doctors. When something is good just say so. Same when it isn't. It is no big deal.

Is that a fact or your opinion?

Actually don't bother.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd go one further. I reckon we had 3 central backrowers and no props.

For most of games 2 and 3 you're right.

Game 2

8. Mannah 40 mins
10. Gallen 80 mins
14. Merrin 12 mins

28 minutes without a genuine front-rower on the field

Game 3

8. Mannah 20 mins
10. Gallen 80 mins
20. Galloway 9 mins

51 minutes with no front-rowers

bartman

Immortal
Backrowers are clearly the future. I'm glad we were ahead of the trend and had some laying out in the centres last year!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I actually thought it was pretty innovative of Stuart. It certainly worked in game 2, and I doubt we would have won game 3 if we'd gone with the standard 4 x 40 minute prop rotation.

As for back-rowers in the centres, it's certainly a last resort. The first thing you want from a centre is one-on-one defence out wide, so it was a good move to defend Hayne at left centre in place of Horo. But even Jarryd got burned a few times (like both games vs the Tigers).

I believe Chris Hicks defended at left centre in round 26.

Ratchy

Juniors
For those of us who closely watch the Superleague, it has improved dramatically.

They have a good mix of old and young and finally have the right 1, 7, 9.

Sam Tomkins has been a stand out.

Rangi Chase was the best half in the comp and won the man of steel award

James Roby, great no.9 who can easily play NRL.

Kiwis were totally out played, although they were missing Matai, Manu, junior Sa'u, Hoffman etc

Fui was a late withdrawal also

It's been a very long season for the majority of the kiwi squad.

Not forgetting the Kiwis don't have a recognised 7 since both Marshall & Foran are 6's.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not forgetting the Kiwis don't have a recognised 7 since both Marshall & Foran are 6's.

You're right that neither are traditional halfbacks - Benji plays on the left of split halves at the Tigers and Foran mostly played on the left of split halves at Manly right up until about mid-season, when DCE was shifted to the middle.

But the Kiwis are themselves at least ostensibly playing with split halves, which means you don't really need an old-style organising halfback. You just need a couple of playmakers that can also kick.

New Zealand's problem this tournament was the same problem the Tigers have when they're under pressure - Benji gets more involved than he needs to be and ruins the shape of the attack.

Benji is best when he finds himself in one-on-one situations, but there just isn't as much opportunity at first receiver. That's why split halves works so well for teams using a lot of long shifts - look at the Broncos and the Dragons. Neither team has a dominant, organising halfback (arguably Lockyer), but both teams get plenty of ball to their halves (both 6 and 7) at second receiver.

This is how Benji plays best at the Tigers. But sometimes he gets it in his head that he has to win the game himself. Instead of being selective about his touches, he just chases the ball around the field overcalling people (like Hayne last year) and losing touch with Foran (and with Lui at club level). Plus he's never content to just catch-pass to the other half, which is exactly what needs to be done in a split-halves system. The ball needs to move away from him for a couple of tackles before it can come back to him in some space.

You just can't do everything from first receiver, and Benji needs to trust his halves partner to get him early ball at the right times.

Suitman

Post Whore
You're right that neither are traditional halfbacks - Benji plays on the left of split halves at the Tigers and Foran mostly played on the left of split halves at Manly right up until about mid-season, when DCE was shifted to the middle.

But the Kiwis are themselves at least ostensibly playing with split halves, which means you don't really need an old-style organising halfback. You just need a couple of playmakers that can also kick.

New Zealand's problem this tournament was the same problem the Tigers have when they're under pressure - Benji gets more involved than he needs to be and ruins the shape of the attack.

Benji is best when he finds himself in one-on-one situations, but there just isn't as much opportunity at first receiver. That's why split halves works so well for teams using a lot of long shifts - look at the Broncos and the Dragons. Neither team has a dominant, organising halfback (arguably Lockyer), but both teams get plenty of ball to their halves (both 6 and 7) at second receiver.

This is how Benji plays best at the Tigers. But sometimes he gets it in his head that he has to win the game himself. Instead of being selective about his touches, he just chases the ball around the field overcalling people (like Hayne last year) and losing touch with Foran (and with Lui at club level). Plus he's never content to just catch-pass to the other half, which is exactly what needs to be done in a split-halves system. The ball needs to move away from him for a couple of tackles before it can come back to him in some space.

You just can't do everything from first receiver, and Benji needs to trust his halves partner to get him early ball at the right times.

Dear Pou Pou,

Sometimes, I just think you have too much time on your hands.
Other times, like mostly, I just like reading what you write.

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks Suity.

I guess I do have too much time on my hands, at least this year. Next year I'll be a lot busier.

Also helps that now that footy season's over, my favourite waste of time is this forum.

Parra

Referee
Very good.

Now what's your opinion regarding this fact? In your opinion, how do you reckon we'll go next year? How about the year after? Do you have an opinion on that?

Things can only get better.

Glad you are starting to see the light.

Latest posts