What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours thread

So he wants 6 rep players? - so Origin can screw his season like it did us last year and looks like doing to the Storm this year?

It's better to have just a couple of Origin players and the rest either NZers or good standard NRL players. At least that way you have your best side on deck most of the year barring injury, e.g. the Dogs this year.

Mr Red

First Grade
So he wants 6 rep players? - so Origin can screw his season like it did us last year and looks like doing to the Storm this year?

It's better to have just a couple of Origin players and the rest either NZers or good standard NRL players. At least that way you have your best side on deck most of the year barring injury, e.g. the Dogs this year.
yeah agree.. NZ's add good value during the origin series..
however if your team performs well during the season then those "good standard" NRL players turn into rep players the following season in a lot of cases...

Bring back choc

Juniors
He wants 3 rep players?
Not sure how that's a great strategy when we have decidedly more than that...

We have more than that do we???

Morris and Merrin and nightingale are true rep players (as in will continue to play rep footy). Yes Creagh has played rep footy but his best footy is loooooooooooong gone and he will not be selected again. Soward will never play Origin again, nor will weyman.

Mr Red means having rep players who are all playing quality football with quality football ahead of them. The sharks are recruiting incredibly well. The penny has dropped for them finally. It dropped for us too but now we have picked it back up, put it our pocket, locked it up and thrown away the key.

The Nick

Bench

Morris and Merrin and nightingale are true rep players (as in will continue to play rep footy). Yes Creagh has played rep footy but his best footy is loooooooooooong gone and he will not be selected again. Soward will never play Origin again, nor will weyman.

Mr Red means having rep players who are all playing quality football with quality football ahead of them. The sharks are recruiting incredibly well. The penny has dropped for them finally. It dropped for us too but now we have picked it back up, put it our pocket, locked it up and thrown away the key.

Hmmmm didn't Creagh play as many Origin games this year as both Morris and Merrin combined? And yet he's somehow not a true rep player like either of them?

Your logic is astounding BBC...

Fingerbang

Bench

I'd be interested in hearing the signatures Cronulla have got that make you say they are recruiting incredibly well. Gordon?...who has not played for how long? Who else?

Lewis can be a great player....but his club form reminds me an awful lot of Trent Barrett

His form for Penrith has been so-so this year. Whether its just because he doesn't want to be there, or he is indeed Barrett-like?

I guess we'll see next year. It must be rough on the poor guy having to decide which of the 13 clubs he will sign with. At least he knows he'll definitely get his $500k and then some.

P.S. whoever signs him - make sure you have a WRITTEN AND SIGNED release - just in case one of the other Panthers players gets involved in a domestic.

Last edited:

big pat

Coach
heard lewis on the car radio monday night say, i don't know what i'm going to do, haven't had any approaches from any club, don't know where the papers get this stuff from, either him or his manager are telling porkies.

Don't exaggerate, it's only 11!!! Four clubs including us, of course, have made no contact.

Obviously not including the Panthers:

It's 13 according to this:

The Sharks are one of 13 clubs chasing Lewis’ services next year - a list which at this stage does not include the Dragons"

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/smith-will-stay-a-shark-flanagan/2621711.aspx

or 11 according to this:

''I've been speaking to Luke daily, and he's had a bit of time this week to start thinking about which clubs might interest him,'' Willett said. ''The Dragons, Broncos, Roosters and Cowboys are the only clubs I haven't heard from. Forget the money for the time being, Luke has got to decide his preferences."

Last edited:

Russo

Juniors
Considering this is the rumours thread and i highly doubt it will actually happen but i heard we are signing up Lewis and Pearce for next year!

Mr.Sparkle

Juniors
Why awfull,he has matured as a footballer and leader on the field,a real inspiration to teamates.I would have him in a heartbeat.

Perhaps awful was an over statement. It would be a sidewards step. He would provide us with what we already have. I feel there would be no breakthrough with signing him.

Guvner

First Grade
Crocker, sidewards??? Who is the tough experienced uncomprimising forward leader we have at the moment? People lament the loss of Smith, Scott and Costigan, Crocker would be perfect for us. We need that sort of mongrel.

Father Ted

First Grade
Mitchell Pearce's manager has batted away speculation the NSW halfback is seeking a release from the final year of his NRL contract with the Sydney Roosters.
The 23-year-old has been linked with a lucrative switch to St George Illawarra, who are believed to be keen to make Pearce the long-term successor to Ben Hornby.

However, manager Mike Newton said talk of Pearce emulating Luke Lewis' lead at Penrith is wide of the mark.
"He's got another year to go and I haven't spoken to anyone at the Roosters and neither have I had discussions with other clubs," Newton told AAP on Friday.

"I had lunch with Mitchell yesterday and he didn't mention anything about it. I don't know where this stuff comes from a lot of the time."

With the NRL still negotiating a new broadcast rights deal, Newton said he would be doing Pearce a disservice if he was to start talking to the Roosters about a new contract until he knows how much extra money is on the table under the new salary cap.

"Ask any blue chip players who's on the market next year, and there's a ton of them, none of the them will do anything until we know the landscape we have to work within," he said.

"If you are Pearce or a Johnathan Thurston, you'd be mad to start doing deals now.
"Clubs are being told to work towards a $500,000 increase in the cap next year, but that could actually be more.
"No one knows what it will in 2014, 15, 16 or 17."
Newton said the Roosters had been in contact with him about starting negotiations earlier this year but he told them to wait.
However, he said this is not an indication that Pearce wants to leave.
"I have told the Roosters I am not interested in talking until next year - there's no rush," he said.
"He's got another year to go, and it's not to say he's going to stay or he's going to go. It is what it is - let's see what happens.
"If I do a deal now, I could be selling him short - you just don't know."
The Australian Rugby League Commission have employed corporate fixers Greenhill Caliburn to negotiate the new TV deal, which they hope will earn them in excess of $1 billion.
And Newton said he expects some of the biggest names in the game to be chasing long-term deals from clubs to take advantage of the windfall.
"Once the new media deal is done, there is going to be no more money for the next four or five years, so 100 per cent, there is going to be more players wanting four or five-year deals," he said.
"Like everyone else, we wait with interest."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8498916