What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours thread

Elias1983

Coach
Just read in RL week in the gossip section two things:

1, It confirmed Crocker popping into St george leagues club and it was in relation to his playing future.

2, Some English clubs have made some big money offers to Hornby but they have been declined....because they have been told that he is retiring this year.

Elias1983

Coach
And we have missed out on Martin Taupau from the bulldogs.

He's just re-signed for another 2 years at the dogs.

Michael Crocker? I'm trying to think of another Crocker. Signing him would be an awful decision.

Barry?

ADVENOF2.jpg

RedVDave

First Grade
Smith will stay a Shark: Flanagan

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan has a simple message for St George Illawarra boss Peter Doust - you’re not getting Jeremy Smith back in the Red V.
Flanagan yesterday cleared up any uncertainty over the future of gun forward Smith, admitting ‘‘I’d have rocks in my head’’ to release the Kiwi international.
Recent speculation has suggested the Sharks were keen to offload Smith to his former club in a bid to squeeze Penrith’s Luke Lewis into their 2013 line-up.
But Flanagan confirmed to the Mercury he has plans to facilitate room for both players.
‘‘One hundred per cent - Jeremy Smith will not be going to the Dragons,’’ Flanagan said.
‘‘Consistently, he’s been our best player, he’s on contract until next year - I’d have to have rocks in my head.
‘‘It’s absolutely ludicrous that we would let him go.’’
Smith, through the Sharks’ media department, declined an interview request yesterday.
The Sharks are one of 13 clubs chasing Lewis’ services next year - a list which at this stage does not include the Dragons - after the Test and Origin star sought an early release from Penrith.
Smith turns 33 next week, and is said to be tired with his daily commute from Wollongong, where he still lives.
But Flanagan rejected suggestions he would be sacrificed for Lewis.
‘‘It’s about having quality players in your roster and my goal is to get to six representative players in our squad,’’ Flanagan said.
‘‘We’ve got three at the moment - Jeremy Smith, Paul Gallen and Todd Carney - my goal, preferably, is to get another three ... to really be a force for the next couple of years.
‘‘There’s no designated number - just over the next six to 12 months I’d like to have at least six rep players in my squad.’’
Flanagan’s ambitious plan raises doubt over whether the Sharks will have enough space in their salary cap to accommodate Lewis and their present fleet of marquee names.
The cap will be extended from $4.3 million to at least $5 million next year under the windfall of an anticipated $1 billion-plus broadcast deal.
Even so, Lewis comes with a price tag of $500,000 a season, while the Sharks have to keep in mind Smith’s contract (around $300,000 a season), Paul Gallen, re-signed forward Wade Graham, Michael Gordon and Anthony Tupou.
Reformed five-eighth Todd Carney is also due for a $300,000 increase on his annual earnings, after Cronulla picked him up at the end of last year on a lowly incentive-based contract of $200,000.
Lewis’ manager, Greg Willett, said the Sharks and the Tigers were among those in the race for the Test and Origin regular, but neither was yet to formally table an offer.
‘‘The situation still remains the same - the only clubs I’m yet to hear from are the Dragons, the Broncos and the Cowboys,’’ he said.
‘‘No-one’s done anything more because I haven’t been around and I don’t want to be under-dealing [Penrith boss] Phil Gould or anyone else - they’ve all been really good about this.
‘‘All of that will begin to happen when I sit down with Luke again.’’
Despite his interest, Flanagan was reticent to spell out how Lewis would feature in the Sharks pack.
‘‘I haven’t even gone down that path yet,’’ he said.‘‘Gal’s going towards the front row and if we were to go towards Lewis, it’s not for Jeremy, it’s just to add depth to my squad.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...tay-a-shark-flanagan/2621711.aspx?storypage=0

Mr Red

First Grade
crocker, fein, cooper, hornby and smith... dads army dragons...
i guess our strategy is to become a retirement village for players wanting that one last pay-cheque....

that used to be the running joke of players signing with the sharks.... since when did they become big brother and we become the butt of the jokes...

shame Doust and Price.... shame....

Mr Red

First Grade
‘We’ve got three (rep players) at the moment - Jeremy Smith, Paul Gallen and Todd Carney - my goal, preferably, is to get another three ... to really be a force for the next couple of years......"
now that seems like a coach with a decent recruitment strategy.... Price take note !!!

Godz Illa

Coach
Typical Mr Red exaggeration. With the departure of Young and potentially Hornby and Fien the average age of our squad will drop dramatically, to well below 25. It would be a very young bunch. There may be a bit of a leadership/experience vacuum that needs to be filled, a la Brisbane signing Petero when Lockyer retired

Lethal25

Juniors
mickeylane please explain why Willet comes out in the press and states that only a few clubs haven't contacted him about Lewis and one of those happens to be the Dragons. What does he stand to gain by saying that??? I've heard via Lewis' brother in law that he will be signing with Saints on a 4 yr deal but nothing else seems to add up including Doust's comments and the Jeremy Smith scenario

gypsy

Bench
?We?ve got three (rep players) at the moment - Jeremy Smith, Paul Gallen and Todd Carney - my goal, preferably, is to get another three ... to really be a force for the next couple of years......"
now that seems like a coach with a decent recruitment strategy.... Price take note !!!
He wants 3 rep players?
Not sure how that's a great strategy when we have decidedly more than that...

jenninga

First Grade
Michael Crocker? I'm trying to think of another Crocker. Signing him would be an awful decision.
Why awfull,he has matured as a footballer and leader on the field,a real inspiration to teamates.I would have him in a heartbeat.

Mr Red

First Grade
He wants 3 rep players?
Not sure how that's a great strategy when we have decidedly more than that...
he wants 6 CURRENT rep players.. and he's not talking city or country origin obviously... he's talking state or test level

we dont have 6... we have 5
Morris
Nightingale
Scott
Creagh
Merrin

maybe 6 if you count Fien still... but i doubt he will figure anymore in a NZ jersey..
and scott is off to newcastle.. so take one of that list

you cant count guys like weyman, cooper. hornby and co... they are no longer rep players and wont be again.
and its more in what positions you have them in... like five-eighth (carney), no like us as in a bench player (merrin) or wingers....

Last edited: