What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 2

What sort of tackle should I be attempting when the winger is 1 on 1 with the opposite winger 10m out?

I ALWAYS get fended off and they score, it's how I concede 95% of the tries against me.
I just use circle tackle most of the time, but I'm still learning better strategies, the game is so deep, I've actually experimented a bit more on amateur and found just playing with manual defence and using your l1 and r1 to select along your line a few wide from the ruck and try to anticipate the pass or use the player like an umbrella d to force the attack the other way.

Also use your defensive tactics, it compresses your line either middle, left or right and allows you to select a defender about two wide of the ball carrier and bring him around the back of the defensive line as a sweeper or cover defender.

I'm in day four and still discovering so many strategies and ideas for attacking and defensive play, this game is so deep it is incredible.

I also learnt how to do cross field kicks on the fifth tackle today, I buzzed out, what you do is when near the oppositions goal line about ten out, you will see your playmaker about two wide to either side indicated by the playmaker marker underneath him, you then simply pass the ball to him using the pass option indicators buttons and press and hold the chip or field goal button down and push the stick towards the nearest side corner and release, your centre and or winger will chase the kick and be in contention for a realistic looking cross kick contested try.

I freaked out when I did it first time. Now I'm just playing on amateur all the time trying new things out in the attacking red zone to skill up for online dominance lol.

I couldn't tell cos im playing on side far but it was still a successful cross field kick that found my chaser.

I'm telling you guys, you gotta forget about just wanting to jump in and win games when learning to play. I've started to just play around on amateur mode like it is a practice arena and I'm trying all sorts of things at each end of the field and discovering all sorts of skills and strategies. The depth in this games gameplay is unreal.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
I've found that playing with a compressed defence makes keeping the opponent down their end a lot easier. Even if they go wide, it's a lot easier to push across (and often force them over the sideline) than defend linebreaks down the guts.

I've also stopped ever switching to the closest player in defence - almost always results in them stopping and the attacker going straight past.

I'll have to give that cross field dropkick a go, my only attacking kicking option has been the grubber.

Played my first online game last night and lost by a try - I gave away five penalties as well. I usually don't give away any. 3 were for slowing down the play-the-ball, something I've never been pinged for against computers. Anybody else noticed stricter officiating online?

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Anyone know how to stop the short kickoff from the sides? Had some guy online abuse it and his winger out jumped my prop for the ball every single time. It's very annoying

Parra Pride

Coach
Played my first online game last night and lost by a try - I gave away five penalties as well. I usually don't give away any. 3 were for slowing down the play-the-ball, something I've never been pinged for against computers. Anybody else noticed stricter officiating online?

Yeah, I can hold players down all day long against the AI, I always make sure all my defenders are back onside, I can't do it online because I get penalised straight away.

Iafeta

Referee
Is it just me, or do props seem to play very wide offensively. Bought it today, found the game lacks a little bit of ... rhythm I guess. With the likes of NBA 2k or FIFA or EA NHL et al they seem to get the speed of the game right and largely players position themselves where they're supposed to be. This is a major improvement on previous league games, I'm just hoping I learn more strategy to make it seem more... realistic.

Also, some of the ratings seem a bit off. I thought I'd do what most Warriors fans wish to do, replace Tupou with Fishiiahi. I expected Fish to be rated poor on D but good on speed. Turns out Tupou is far quicker than him? Who knew.

RHCP

Bench
There's some odd ratings that's for sure. Gerard Beale is super fast and strong and Luke Burt got picked for NSW in all three games.

So the online penalties isn't just me, I guess that's a good thing.

Parra Pride

Coach
Players who play NSW cup or NYC seem to have their ratings turned down, Marmin Barba should be much, much quicker than what he actually is.

Another thing I've noticed, if I turn off my Xbox my created players stats get reset to default, after the first three times re-adjusting them I've had enough and have just deleted him.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Finally getting somewhere...on 2nd easiest difficulty.

Lost first 2 games of season, but have won the last 5 now.
I'm not thrashing the others so I don't think I'm ready for medium difficulty.

Is it normal for opponents to have like 70 missed tackles in a game?

Micistm

Bench
Is it just me, or do props seem to play very wide offensively. Bought it today, found the game lacks a little bit of ... rhythm I guess. With the likes of NBA 2k or FIFA or EA NHL et al they seem to get the speed of the game right and largely players position themselves where they're supposed to be. This is a major improvement on previous league games, I'm just hoping I learn more strategy to make it seem more... realistic.

Also, some of the ratings seem a bit off. I thought I'd do what most Warriors fans wish to do, replace Tupou with Fishiiahi. I expected Fish to be rated poor on D but good on speed. Turns out Tupou is far quicker than him? Who knew.

:lol:The real Tupou will be chuffed with that! I think it's a safe bet they've done the ratings without massive amounts of research...and assumed using this specific example Tupou being the FG default winger is the faster more 'wingy-er' and rated him as such...;-)

Finally getting somewhere...on 2nd easiest difficulty.

Lost first 2 games of season, but have won the last 5 now.
I'm not thrashing the others so I don't think I'm ready for medium difficulty.

Is it normal for opponents to have like 70 missed tackles in a game?
Yes because they made it easy for you to break tackles, next level up it gets a bit tougher and so on, but it still plays well and isn't cheap like other games. You can still do long range tries and things its more the AI players use their skills smarter the higher you go, so you have to play even smarter rugby league style the higher you go.

The general consensus is that veteran difficulty and 20 min games is about where it is closest to real stats.

Don't be afraid to just have a crack, you'll find even more plays open up for you to use as well.

stoodamire

Juniors
Just played my 1st online game. I see people are doing what they do in FIFA. Pick the best team. I played some Chump who picked Aus -__-"

Smashed him 31-6 with Manly. Booyah!

BigAntStudios

Juniors
:lol:The real Tupou will be chuffed with that! I think it's a safe bet they've done the ratings without massive amounts of research...and assumed using this specific example Tupou being the FG default winger is the faster more 'wingy-er' and rated him as such...;-)

Amazingly enough we got the stats done by a third party in Sydney that also did the stats for the previous RL games.

Big Pete

Referee
Is there a limit on how many players you can edit?

It'd be cool if you could adjust the stats. accordingly.

Latest posts