What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

I have a thing for defunct clubs.

Trawl op shops and garage sales for ephemera and paraphernalia.

I remember that first weekend in 1995 when Auckland played Brissy, Crushers vs Canberra, Bulldogs vs Nth Qld and Reds vs Saints...and only the Reds won.

This was pre-Super League, when I absolutely loved every single team and all the players and watching as many games as I could, etc.

For mine though, the Crushers winning the GF in the juniors was pretty cool.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
My memories of the crushers. Go back to that month of March in 1995.

My recollections of a young kid was looking forward to seeing the new teams, Warriors, Crushers, Cowboys and Reds.

I watched 3 of the 4 games, as I think the Reds match was shown pretty late here.

But the Crushers game on the Saturday was something memorable, I think they held out the premiers Canberra to nil for a while in fact they mightve scored first through Gillmeister. Also remember Fenech and Rowdy Shearer playing on that day.

Whilst they got beat, there was still plenty of support and hopeful of being competitive. Then Super League came along.

Does anyone remember Fenech's blow up at Ribot on the Footy Show? Its Youtube if anyone hasnt seen it.

After that results didnt go their way, once some of the experienced players got injured, it was hard for them to score points.

A number of players still kicked on after the Crushers.

McKenna, Tookey, Schifcoske, Sattler, Norton, Moule, Nutley, Bickerstaff.

Its a shame, before Super League, the future of a 2nd Brisbane team was there, but unfortunately didnt work.

Its amazing to think that their last ever game, some of the club records were broken. The biggest ever win, the highest score (i think), most points in a match by a player and also most goals, which both were done by Schifscoske.

I can sort of remember the day and listening on radio getting updates, as 2UE were calling I think Norths and Roosters, reports were someone told the players that the club might not be around if SL and ARL agree to play as one.

It wouldve fired the players up on the day, and their Queensland neighbours Gold Coast chargers wouldve been delighted as I think that result helped Gold Coast make the finals.

Charlie124

First Grade
If the crushers had still been around when I started following league they would have been my team I reckon. I live in brissy and always hated the broncos and I've got no love for the Gold Coast either. I consider them my "would've" team

DeeJ

Bench
As a school boy my chums and I were very excited when told some rugby league players would be visiting the school. Much to our disappointment, two players from the Crushers turned up who no one recognised and handed out season passes to all the kids.

I felt betrayed and hated it (I was convinced some Broncos would come) but I still have the season pass card in mint condition to this day.

Special K

Coach
I remember the game against Canberra that was on TV(and seemed to be the basis of their footy cards) and Schifcoske getting done for drugs.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Does anyone remember the old ARL Collectable cars?

Here's a Crusher's one I have had since I was a kid:
n8lci.jpg

And the others Ive collected:

30ug4dl.jpg

Ahh memories.
view.php

DC_fan

Coach
Had the worst football jumper in history. Who ever decided to have that baby poo colour as part of the jumper had to be a real bright spark.

Canard

Immortal
I've just lost all respect I ever had for you Muz. A f**king seat pisser. May as well be a Souffs fan. :p Agree on Lindner though. Was stoked when he signed for the Steelers. A pity he only stayed one year and then retired to take on the Crushers gig.

As for the Crushers, I recall them getting humiliated by the Chargers 52-4, and Rod Wishart scoring a hat trick against them.

And since we're in a retro mood, I'll just point out I'm wearing my Steelers jersey as I type this.

Worse move they made making there best player into there coach.

What ever happened to Darryl van der Velde (their original signing as coach?)

He was quite a name in England at the time.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I've just lost all respect I ever had for you Muz. A f**king seat pisser. May as well be a Souffs fan. :p Agree on Lindner though. Was stoked when he signed for the Steelers. A pity he only stayed one year and then retired to take on the Crushers gig.

As for the Crushers, I recall them getting humiliated by the Chargers 52-4, and Rod Wishart scoring a hat trick against them.

And since we're in a retro mood, I'll just point out I'm wearing my Steelers jersey as I type this.

I love the old ARL tops pre SL.

Brutus

Referee
Worse move they made making there best player into there coach.

What ever happened to Darryl van der Velde (their original signing as coach?)

He was quite a name in England at the time.

Billy Gardner was meant to be their first coach.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Does anyone remember the old ARL Collectable cars?

Here's a Crusher's one I have had since I was a kid:
n8lci.jpg

And the others Ive collected:

30ug4dl.jpg

Ahh memories.
view.php

I have the Bulldogs one of those. Mine looks like it was parked outside Belmore for a while though, not in as good condition as yours. Probably should have dusted it more often.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I finished school in 94. The hottest fashion accessories (apart from anything Michael Jordan or flanellette) were the Crushers, Cows, Reds and Warriors jerseys.

I never had any of them but a few of mates did.

Cool story hey.

Last edited:
I only knew one Crushers supporter at the time, and he jumped on board in 1995. I remember as clearly as day him wearing a fresh, new jersey at a dinner party. He was the sort of weather vane who will hop on something that is just a bit removed from what could be perceived as the boofheaded majority. You know, because people like that are a bit better than ordinary yobs like the rest of us.

That was 95. If that dinner party was in 2000 he would've been wearing a Wallabies jersey. A few years later a Lions jersey. A couple of years ago it would've been one of those Roar t-shirts that roadside council workers should buy in bulk for safety purposes, and today I expect he would be following the Reds.

You know the sort.

I finished school in 94. The hottest fashion accessories (apart from anything Michael Jordan or flanellette)

Around then I owned a pair of flannie boardies. And they were the best f***ing boardies I have ever owned.

Feelin' old!

Edit: F*** it, while I am reminiscing, one of best footy memories was going to see the Broncs play the Warriors at ANZ in front of a packed house at the end of the 95 season. Back then, ANZ was all sound and fury when packed. My mates and I were planted right at the very very top of northern stand. The next week we backed up to see the Raiders in the finals at Suncorp. Again packed. Good times. It sadly didn't take many (post-)Superleague-affected seasons for ANZ to turn into a ghost town. When it was full though, I kind of enjoyed it.

Sorry this isn't Crushers related!

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Well that logo isn't a cane train, but yeah a bit odd but at least Australian

There is sugar cane in the region ironically in northern NSW however

Well that logo isn't a cane train, but yeah a bit odd but at least Australian

There is sugar cane in the region ironically in northern NSW however

Back then, before the M1 became an 8 lane uber-replacement for the old Pacific Highway (and alternative to the maligned, Goss-killin' koala road to the coast) there was still plenty of sugar cane growing down between Beenleigh and Dreamworld.

Edit: http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment\cultural\beenleigh_and_sugarcane_land_study.pdf

Beenleigh and the surrounding sugarcane lands were identified in the
1997 Gold Coast Urban Heritage and Character Study as being one
of the nine major character areas, and one of the few remaining
primary producing areas, for the Gold Coast.
The area has a long history of settlement dating back to the 1860s
with early attempts to create vast cotton and sugar plantations.
German migrants were prominent among the early settlers and they
established small farms which eventually supplanted the plantation
system. Beenleigh has been the traditional service centre for the
region; however regional growth has been sporadic and fluctuated
with the rural economy until the 1960s when Beenleigh’s growth was
stimulated by the Gold Coast tourist boom and Brisbane’s post-War
urban expansion.

Last edited:
My Dad did a bit of work for them and got a jersey and a 10 year membership for doing it. I wore the jersey to origin in 2003, a lot of people were yelling out to me "Go Crushers" but I'm pretty sure they were just drunk bogans.