What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I've just lost all respect I ever had for you Muz. A f**king seat pisser. May as well be a Souffs fan. :p Agree on Lindner though. Was stoked when he signed for the Steelers. A pity he only stayed one year and then retired to take on the Crushers gig.

As for the Crushers, I recall them getting humiliated by the Chargers 52-4, and Rod Wishart scoring a hat trick against them.

And since we're in a retro mood, I'll just point out I'm wearing my Steelers jersey as I type this.

when did rod wishart ever play for the chargers??

now I've lost all respect for you....

and you call yourself a steelers man...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Does anyone remember the old ARL Collectable cars?

Here's a Crusher's one I have had since I was a kid:
n8lci.jpg

And the others Ive collected:

30ug4dl.jpg

Ahh memories.
view.php

wow.. that's just jogged some brain cells... pretty sure I've got that exact crushers car + the steelers one tucked away in some boxes downstairs...

newman

First Grade
A great, informative thread on LU free from trolls, bickering and abuse? Mods! Do something. Please!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A great, informative thread on LU free from trolls, bickering and abuse? Mods! Do something. Please!

nah, i'm leading poster in this thread at the moment..

and according to popular opinion i'm a worse troll than bunniesman, doggiesbro & moffo..

Canard

Immortal
My Dad did a bit of work for them and got a jersey and a 10 year membership for doing it. I wore the jersey to origin in 2003, a lot of people were yelling out to me "Go Crushers" but I'm pretty sure they were just drunk bogans.

Ha, bit of a kick in the guts to a get a 10 year membership to a team that lasted 3 years!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I only knew one Crushers supporter at the time, and he jumped on board in 1995. I remember as clearly as day him wearing a fresh, new jersey at a dinner party. He was the sort of weather vane who will hop on something that is just a bit removed from what could be perceived as the boofheaded majority. You know, because people like that are a bit better than ordinary yobs like the rest of us.

That was 95. If that dinner party was in 2000 he would've been wearing a Wallabies jersey. A few years later a Lions jersey. A couple of years ago it would've been one of those Roar t-shirts that roadside council workers should buy in bulk for safety purposes, and today I expect he would be following the Reds.

You know the sort.

Around then I owned a pair of flannie boardies. And they were the best f***ing boardies I have ever owned.

Feelin' old!

Edit: F*** it, while I am reminiscing, one of best footy memories was going to see the Broncs play the Warriors at ANZ in front of a packed house at the end of the 95 season. Back then, ANZ was all sound and fury when packed. My mates and I were planted right at the very very top of northern stand. The next week we backed up to see the Raiders in the finals at Suncorp. Again packed. Good times. It sadly didn't take many (post-)Superleague-affected seasons for ANZ to turn into a ghost town. When it was full though, I kind of enjoyed it.

Sorry this isn't Crushers related!

Wow! How interesting, tell us more :sarcasm:

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Worse move they made making there best player into there coach.

What ever happened to Darryl van der Velde (their original signing as coach?)

He was quite a name in England at the time.

Was CEO of a training company up on the Sunshine Coast. Got booted by the board as part of a bungled expansion into the international market.

Our footy club had a fund raising night in about 1996.

I remember Mario Fenech sent an Autographed Crushers jersey as part of the auction. It raised $40. I think at that time jerseys retailed for about $99

isaiah

Bench
i have a cap.

they were my '2nd team' when they entered the comp, with me being a QLD fan but hating the broncos..
have to laugh at this second team thing. i think their supporter base was about 55% made up of this. they certainly didn't seem to draw much from people who hadn't followed league before, like the broncs in 88 did.
it was mostly just bitter and twisted anti-broncs and it made for some really funny crowds when the two teams played each other. i remember being in the eastern stand when darren plowman [lachlan maranta's uncle] scored early but got snotted as he scored and it was all the broncs after that. lots of the crowd left early.
reminds me a bit if the titans now, their best crowd all year is when the broncs come down the highway and make up 65% of the crowd.

butchmcdick

Immortal
I lived in paddington and used to walk to Lang park to watch them play a bit

I remember watching them get pumped by the Steelers. This was during the unlimited interchange days and their captain (Used to play for manly, a foward called Jones) would go on, take a hit up and then come straight off until the next set.

undertaker

Coach
My only memories of the Crushers involve my team, the Knights.

IIRC, the Crushers broke the Knights 9 game winning streak in '95 on the same day Canberra's 9 game undefeated start to the season was also broken. Up until that day, Canberra, Manly and Newcastle were all undefeated.

Went to a Crushers game, maybe 1996 ... Crushers vs Newcastle. It started pissing down rain about the 45 minute mark and everyone started legging it up the grandstand to get out of the rain. Newcastle thrashed them.

In '97, we hammered the Crushers 44-0 at home and won 24-6 up at Suncorp. That game you made reference to where it was pissing down in the 2nd half was that Suncorp fixture:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1997/199706281422.html

In 96, the Broncos/Crushers match was jam-packed and we were hanging off the walls at the Northern End. It was a fabulous atmosphere that I hope can be replicated when the Brothers join the NRL.

That was this match, which attracted 34263 (and remained the highest home crowd during the Crushers history):

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1996/199604120422.html

Interestingly, the Crushers 2nd highest home fixture was nearly 30k against the Warriors. As Brutus said, they averaged 21k in their first year of the comp. How many teams average that these days?

OT, were the Crushers on tv much? Were they like the Broncos and Knights, that had non-Ch9 matches televised into their market (in this case, the Brisbane/Gold Coast region)?

undertaker

Coach
Its amazing to think that their last ever game, some of the club records were broken. The biggest ever win, the highest score (i think), most points in a match by a player and also most goals, which both were done by Schifscoske.

I can sort of remember the day and listening on radio getting updates, as 2UE were calling I think Norths and Roosters, reports were someone told the players that the club might not be around if SL and ARL agree to play as one.

It wouldve fired the players up on the day, and their Queensland neighbours Gold Coast chargers wouldve been delighted as I think that result helped Gold Coast make the finals.

PARRA_FAN, I must say you have an excellent memory. I just looked it up and you're correct. That 39-18 win vs Magpies on the last day of the regular season not only was their highest winning margin (21 pts) ,the most number of pts scored in a match (39 pts) for the Crushers, equal most number of tries scored in a match (6 tries) and the most number of pts scored by a Crushers player in a match (Schifcofske - 18 pts), but it also stopped the Magpies from qualifying for the finals, much to the pleasure of the Gold Coast Chargers who qualified for the first ever time.

I finished school in 94. The hottest fashion accessories (apart from anything Michael Jordan or flanellette) were the Crushers, Cows, Reds and Warriors jerseys.

Although i was too young back then to really appreciate that era, I much preferred the fashion back in those days compared to now.

when did rod wishart ever play for the chargers??

now I've lost all respect for you....

and you call yourself a steelers man...

Muzby, I think he was meant that those were two separate games.

The match the Crushers lost 52-4 vs Chargers:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1996/199607211122.html

The match where Rod Wishart scored a hat-trick against the Crushers:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1995/199504231222.html

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
My only memories of the Crushers involve my team, the Knights.

IIRC, the Crushers broke the Knights 9 game winning streak in '95 on the same day Canberra's 9 game undefeated start to the season was also broken. Up until that day, Canberra, Manly and Newcastle were all undefeated.

In '97, we hammered the Crushers 44-0 at home and won 24-6 up at Suncorp. That game you made reference to where it was pissing down in the 2nd half was that Suncorp fixture:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1997/199706281422.html

That was this match, which attracted 34263 (and remained the highest home crowd during the Crushers history):

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/1996/199604120422.html

Interestingly, the Crushers 2nd highest home fixture was nearly 30k against the Warriors. As Brutus said, they averaged 21k in their first year of the comp. How many teams average that these days?

OT, were the Crushers on tv much? Were they like the Broncos and Knights, that had non-Ch9 matches televised into their market (in this case, the Brisbane/Gold Coast region)?

They got quite a lot of TV coverage all over QLD, I watched quite a lot of there games living in NQ.

Especially compared to the Cowboys who got there first game in 95 televised and then didn't get another one until 2004.

undertaker

Coach
They got quite a lot of TV coverage all over QLD, I watched quite a lot of there games living in NQ.

You mean on Ch9 Sydney (commentated by Rabs, Sterlo etc.) or just only in QLD (e.g. Broncos and Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls matches that weren't covered by Ch9 Sydney were shown in Ch9 Brisbane and called by Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas and later by Andrew Voss)?

Especially compared to the Cowboys who got there first game in 95 televised and then didn't get another one until 2004.

I'm aware that the Cowboys didn't get another Ch9 (Sydney) match for 9 years after their debut vs Bulldogs, but didn't they have their other non-Ch9 matches covered by WIN in North QLD for their first two seasons (1995/96) with Jason Costigan as the caller? For example, their first ever win (at Wollongong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vmJDAE058

Packy

Bench
I'm in the same boat as Charlie. I was never going to drop the Dogs but living in Brisbane and being a mad footy fan I was open to a 2nd team and my grandfather was all for it as well.

Titans have come along and filled that spot to an extent now.

Latest posts