What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Draw

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For crowds definitely agree, but playing in those conditions is an advantage for your boys.

I would just like to see all teams have the same amount of Monday night games

They were actually really good about it this year. Obviously some didnt get any, but they made sure no one got more than 2, which is reasonable.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Looking forward to it being released. But i suspect it will be even later than last year as they try to thrash out a compromise after the drop in tv ratings this year

Kaiden

Juniors
Why don't Nine show the state-specific game on the main channel, and show the other Friday night game on Gem? Would allow for flexibility if people don't want to watch the Broncos game.

There needs to be more day time games. An increase of day time games will bring higher games. The NRL needs to be smarter with scheduling. Look at the small crowds at suburban grounds for the 7pm Monday timeslot. Too hard to get to.

I would go for the following.

Friday Night (Ch9) at 7:40pm...not this way past 8pm stuff that they are dishing out.
Saturday 3pm (FOX)
Saturday 5:00pm Fox
Saturday 7:00pm (C9)
Sunday 2pm x 2 (Viewers Choice)
Sunday 3:00 (Delay on 9)
Sunday 6:30pm

Suburban Venue games (like Leichhardt, Kogarah ect should be daytime only)

Embrace promote and have double headers, but include some entertainment unlike the finals series.

You could have some cracking all Sydney derbies at either Allianz or ANZ

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
- Ditch the fixed schedule, but schedule in three blocks. Have R1-10 secured straight-up when it's released in November, then 11-19 released after R5. R20-26 released after R15.

- Instead of double-f**king crowds by having 13 x Sunday night and 23 x Monday nights... alternate the final game of the round between those two fixtures. It means we don't have crowd-destroying Monday night games EVERY weekend.

- The RL community to accept that Brisbane, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests and Souths rate on Channel 9 regardless of form. Manly and Melbourne might be great teams but their television markets are f**king tiny by comparison - that's where you lose ratings.

- A few double headers through the season where games might otherwise draw poorly.

- Different teams at Bluetongue. Was nice to see Dogs, Cowboys, Sharks and Warriors in town. Souths and Manly as always is fine, but we need different teams to showcase the whole game to the Central Coast.

- More day games. Sat 3pm kickoffs. Double up Sunday 2pm kickoff instead of Sat 7:30pm. Move the delayed Sunday game to 4pm and make it live instead.

And as impossible as it can be, they HAVE to avoid teams playing each other with a less than 5 week turnaround. Hell, even 9 weeks apart... sometimes it's just too soon IMO.

There should be more 3pm Saturday games next year. Hopefully more than what we had this year.

I agree that Friday nights should have a fixed 7.40pm start all year round. This year, they were starting later and later week in week out!

- Ditch the fixed schedule, but schedule in three blocks. Have R1-10 secured straight-up when it's released in November, then 11-19 released after R5. R20-26 released after R15.

- Instead of double-f**king crowds by having 13 x Sunday night and 23 x Monday nights... alternate the final game of the round between those two fixtures. It means we don't have crowd-destroying Monday night games EVERY weekend.

- The RL community to accept that Brisbane, Parramatta, Canterbury, Wests and Souths rate on Channel 9 regardless of form. Manly and Melbourne might be great teams but their television markets are f**king tiny by comparison - that's where you lose ratings.

- A few double headers through the season where games might otherwise draw poorly.

- Different teams at Bluetongue. Was nice to see Dogs, Cowboys, Sharks and Warriors in town. Souths and Manly as always is fine, but we need different teams to showcase the whole game to the Central Coast.

- More day games. Sat 3pm kickoffs. Double up Sunday 2pm kickoff instead of Sat 7:30pm. Move the delayed Sunday game to 4pm and make it live instead.

And as impossible as it can be, they HAVE to avoid teams playing each other with a less than 5 week turnaround. Hell, even 9 weeks apart... sometimes it's just too soon IMO.

I expect our FTA coverage to drop off a bit next year. Benji was a ch 9 guy and a draw card and he's gone, so there is less incentive for them to show us week in week out.

Card Shark

Immortal
I expect our FTA coverage to drop off a bit next year. Benji was a ch 9 guy and a draw card and he's gone, so there is less incentive for them to show us week in week out.

The Tigers might be on the nose next year with 9.

The Raiders will fill the void now supercoach is there. Well deserved for long suffering fans, I suppose.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They could all be away games.

The only way it will be fair is if all time slots are spread evenly between teams.

I completely disagree. I think they should give teams certain spots that are better tailored to their location, demographics, ect.

Friday and Monday night games should always be at centralised stadiums; ANZ, SFS, Suncorp, AAMI (They could probably do the inner city suburban ground; Kogarah, Liechardt, Parramatta, ect. as well).

But the key is to not give either of these slots to regional stadiums (Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville) or to the outer suburban areas (Cronulla, Penrith, Campbeltown, Brookvale, ect.) because these are too had to get to on a work/school night.

Instead, give these stadiums exclusively Saturday and Sunday games.

Unfortunately this would centralise most of the tv games to a few teams, but once the next tv deal is signed, Saturday and Sunday will hopefully be more FTA friendly.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Eels to get at least 1 Sunday home game. They need to fix the draw so everyone gets at least 1 game in each timeslot.

26 rounds with byes = 24 games.
Simplistically 6 possible time slots Thursday night, Friday night, early Saturday game, late Saturday, Sunday arvo & Monday night.

4 games for each club in each timeslot =24 games. Not rocket science, gives all sides a level playing field re:sponsorship opportunities.

Some clubs will whinge like stuck pigs, but stiff shit.

f**k your logic. nein does what nein wants, no thats wrong - nein tells you what you want :fist:

its disappointing with the last broadcast rights that there wasnt something written into the contract which allowed the nrl and clubs to treat teams as fairly as possible. I'm a broncos fan but i'm embarrassed by how many friday nights we get. even if we went through the season undefeated NO team deserves such a large amount of exposure to the detriment of other teams.

if the NRL wants clubs to be strong, gain sponsorships etc they need to make the FTA timeslots available to all clubs not just a select few.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ok, Newcastle could have Friday games because they have enough local support to fill the stadium, BUT...

Canberra and Wollongong both depend on away support (Dragons can fill WIN but a lot of fans are driving down from Sydney).

Im not saying these teams shouldnt get FTA games, but they should either get friday games when they're playing away in Sydney or have Sunday FTA game at home.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
26 rounds with byes = 24 games.
Simplistically 6 possible time slots Thursday night, Friday night, early Saturday game, late Saturday, Sunday arvo & Monday night.

4 games for each club in each timeslot =24 games. Not rocket science, gives all sides a level playing field re:sponsorship opportunities.

Some clubs will whinge like stuck pigs, but stiff shit.

It would actually be incredibly hard to do this, and even if the NRL managed to find a draw where this happened, you can kiss goodbye any other requests you had wanted in that years draw.

Canard

Immortal

-

Aren't these points contradictory?

Whats the point of getting rid of fixed scheduling? To assist Channel 9 with TV ratings? Who cares about Channel 9.

Fixed scheduling is far better for the fans attending the game, and that should be a focus.

Card Shark

Immortal
As Timmah says, 10 rounds in advance is heaps for most supporters.

I would schedule the first 10 rounds & every 2 weeks, schedule 2 more rounds. Keep it 2 months in advance. Surely that's ample time for 99% of people to plan a trip to a footy game.

betcats

Referee
Aren't these points contradictory?

Whats the point of getting rid of fixed scheduling? To assist Channel 9 with TV ratings? Who cares about Channel 9.

Fixed scheduling is far better for the fans attending the game, and that should be a focus.

TV Ratings is what got us a billion dollar TV rights deal and took RL out of the poorhouse.

Seriously how many fans are planning footy trips so far in advance we need fixed scheduling? Lol it would be the small minority of diehards, and didnt attendance drop thiis year with fixed scheduling?

Canard

Immortal
As Timmah says, 10 rounds in advance is heaps for most supporters.

I would schedule the first 10 rounds & every 2 weeks, schedule 2 more rounds. Keep it 2 months in advance. Surely that's ample time for 99% of people to plan a trip to a footy game.

But why? So Channel 9 can schedule games? Who cares?

Surely its more important that the needs of the paying customer come first?

TV Ratings is what got us a billion dollar TV rights deal and took RL out of the poorhouse.

Seriously how many fans are planning footy trips so far in advance we need fixed scheduling? Lol it would be the small minority of diehards, and didnt attendance drop thiis year with fixed scheduling?

But the TV deal is signed? Are we that concerned that we now need to re-structure the whole shebang after one season into a five year deal? (And David Gallop was called knee jerk).

LU is so bi-polar, on the one hand its "we bent over to the TV channels" then nek minnit its "Let's do all we can to ensure that TV gets there way!"

Last edited: