What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve O'Keefe - When will he get his shot at test cricket?

TheParraboy

Staff member
11/169 against SA for this current match. His first even 10 wicket match.

I doubt many spinners have had a 10 wicket match at domestic level in recent years.

Ludicrous he's never had at least one test. Especially given some of the nuffies pre Lyon that were thrown up.

112 wickets @ 25.5 s/r 60 eco 2.6

That's prior to this match.

How does that not even get one test match?!

If you are calling the guys that played pre Lyon nuffies, then you need to include Lyon in that category. Was averaging mid 40s in FC when picked. Has an eerily similar test stat to Nathan Hauritz, which says it all

We are so consumed into thinking Lyon is doing well when we win tests, we are not looking at a guy who appears to be so much more better and I believe would be a sensation at test level

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you are calling the guys that played pre Lyon nuffies, then you need to include Lyon in that category. Was averaging mid 40s in FC when picked. Has an eerily similar test stat to Nathan Hauritz, which says it all

We are so consumed into thinking Lyon is doing well when we win tests, we are not looking at a guy who appears to be so much more better and I believe would be a sensation at test level
But to be fair to Lyon he had played 5 games or so, Haurie had been around for ages and pretty much stunk. But he was straight in, same as Derpaty,. Krezja as well, even Casson's record was crap. SOK kills them all and can bat and field as well. Lyon has done a great job but someone clearly dislikes SOK.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There is obviously a reason that we dont know about.

On form he would be the first spinner picked for Australia

Hear what you're saying.

But Lyon has done better ( albeit only slightly) at a younger age than hauritz.

I'd have O'Keefe in the side before him, but it seems unlikely unless Lyon has a big drop in form.

Timbo

Staff member
Katich was his mentor for a long time, and his most vocal defender when they axed him. My money is on that.

Lyon lacks variety,he doesn't help his cause as every ball he bowls appears the same especially coming from around the wicket,if there is no bounce or spin in the pitch his only hope of a wicket is if the batsmen makes an error.
I would prefer SOK but i think Lyon will remain in the team bowling his pies until Muirhead is ready.

Timbo

Staff member
I love it how Lyon is now 'bowling pies'.

He took a 5-fer in the second test and was crucial at keeping it tight during the Ashes so the quicks could rip in.

The desire to see him fail is so strong it isn't funny.

typicalfan

Coach
Most finger spinners would have struggled on that pitch. SOK isn't a big spinner of the ball so I don't see what he would have done on that pitch.

For me this isn't about Lyon v okeefe.

It's more about wtf has okeefe done to miss out.

Okeefe having not played a test is up there with Jamie Siddons never playing. In fact it's probably more bizarre considering we've played the likes of Beer , Doherty , White , maxwell Etc.

At least Siddons had a rock star team to break in to.

undertaker

Coach

Okeefe having not played a test is up there with Jamie Siddons never playing. In fact it's probably more bizarre considering we've played the likes of Beer , Doherty , White , maxwell Etc.

Siddons was very unlucky. Played one ODI in the '88 tour of Pakistan and was on the verge of the Baggy Green when he had food poisoning or something similar to that and had to abort the tour, and never came into test consideration from the selectors after that. He must've been wondering how different things would've panned out had that not happened, considering Australia was still in a rebuilding phase post rebel tours where we only won one test series between post Chappell/Marsh/Lillee retiring and the '89 Ashes (where we started to climb back up the ladder again)

From memory as well there was also lots of talk when Damien Martyn was selected in front of him in the early 90's and then later Greg Blewett in the mid 90's.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Most finger spinners would have struggled on that pitch. SOK isn't a big spinner of the ball so I don't see what he would have done on that pitch.

SOk has variation, Lyon has none which is why he cant perform on pitches that don't turn

Siddons couldn't break into a very strong batting line up bot SOK can't break in for different reasons

TheParraboy

Staff member

Correct

Very Hard for Siddons to break into the side back then

A better analogy would be if there was a bloke batting at no3 in Shield cricket last few seasons and averaging over 50 but never considered to play test cricket. Selectors chosing to pick inferior players like Marsh, Doolan etc...

That's the way it is with Okfeefe and the muppets they have picked in front of him.

123 wickets @ 24.50 economy 2.53. That says it all

Can he do a better job than Lyon? Highly likely. Will he perform worse than Lyon? Highly unlikely. There is only one way to find out. Unfortunately we will never know , cause we keep picking muppets, even when Lyon is dropped

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if you're referring to SOK then yes,

I was always a fan of Harry Potter as he wasn't a big spinner but would bowl alot of variation and thought, which is how he got his wickets

Like Porky McMillan, he always did well against us.

Latest posts