What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide on Nov 27-Dec 1, 2015

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That comes with experience i feel. Like marsh in the gully looks confused. Does he field there in fc cricket ? His movement isnt confident in that position. They had starc in the gully for periods of the series.

Our behind the wicket fielding needs work for sure. Its one of those things odi and t20 cricket is supposed to improve. I could criticise everyone but warner I reckon. Smith is normally a solid fielder especially a ground fielder but dropped a couple of catches, voges is perhaps the worst first slip i can remember, khawaja is so f**king slow, burns is a bad bat pad.

Lyon is also normally a good fielder but dropped a couple of sitters over the series.

Maybe just an off series but if watling had scored another ten runs we might have lost. Luckily smith actually took the next chance he gave and it cost us what...a run ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They will get hammered at training now with catching practice, its just unAustralian to field like that.

We have been so good for the last 20 years or so since Simmo drummed it into us, much like he really changed the way we run between wickets.

JJ

Immortal
Would've been a good five test series. Shame NZ took till day two in Perth to really get into the series.

It was mentioned last night (which I noticed because I said similar to dad at dinner) that sides don't come in prepared for overseas tours, and usually they're behind after game one and the series is pretty much done. This was a classic case of that. Boult didn't start to look himself to this test. Southee broke down in game one. Bracewell was underdone and wasn't until game two that he started to bowl with consistency. Their batsmen weren't prepared (outside Williamson). It's hard enough touring overseas, but sides don't give themselves a chance with shit preparation (in part the crap pitch at Blacktown hurt, but why they played a one dayer then a two dayer in Canberra I don't know. Should've had two 3-4 day games, one in canberra, one in brisbane).

Still a bit to like about the NZ test side. Latham looks good, just needs to kick on with the innings, but the other opening spot is a black hole. Taylor finding some form is great for them. Shame McCullem was off the pace, and as JJ mentioned Watling had his worst series in some time. The quicks are good, especially if Milne/Henry kick on, and Santner looked a decent bat (not sure about his bowling, action is so...jerky).

One of the Nein guys said something else about Craig - if you aren't a particularly threatening spinner you have to at least be a reasonable defensive bowler - look at Vettori, who didn't really run through sides at test level but he was accurate, tight, kept pressure on and had a few little variations. Craig couldn't land two balls in the same spot.

I also thought the way they cranked up the pressure on Aus late in the game with a more defensive field, giving little to no easy runs around, was something they should've gone to a bit earlier. Aus goes to water with a bit of pressure, generally.

Some positives and a few questions for Australia. Warner batted really well the first two tests, ditto Khawja - questions for him though will arise when he actually comes into the game at 1/2 rather than well over 100. Burns was solid but isn't exactly cemented just yet. Smith wasn't at his best, but he's a 26 year old captain, it's a bit of an adjustment he's going through. Voges is playing his role reasonably well. Nevill's keeping was such an improvement on Haddin, and his batting when it was actually needed came through.

The Marsh's have a fair bit to prove, I think Mitch's bowling is getting better and better but his batting is poor (sounds like he'll be swapped with Nev next game which is a reasonable move). Hazlewood was awesome in game three which was good (bowled well without reward in brisbane also). Starc looked his best in test cricket but got injured, and Siddle looks as bad as he did last Aus summer. Lyon continued to do his job.

Exciting time for Aus cricket really, a lot of newer guys establishing themselves. Looking forward to Haze and Patto charging in next test. I also reckon the next test series in NZ in Feb could easily go the other way

All pretty much on the mark imo

El Diablo

Post Whore
They will get hammered at training now with catching practice, its just unAustralian to field like that.

We have been so good for the last 20 years or so since Simmo drummed it into us, much like he really changed the way we run between wickets.

the problem is Blewett

last time he flew solo the firlding turned to shit and Young was called in http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...-looks-to-stop-the-drops-20150110-12lo8k.html

now Young is gone and Blewett is back and the same thing is happening again

Iafeta

Referee
Its the problem though now in the 20/20 world. Teams used to come in for their tours and play 2 to 3 full first class games. These days you get a couple of grandfatherly exhibitions if you are lucky. The turgid rubbish of a pitch they got in Blacktown is a case in point. I remember the 93/94 tour, we got paddy-whacked badly in that series, but we played from memory WA, The Chairmans XI, Tasmania, New South Wales, all before the first test. We played SA later on so the only state sides we didn't play were Queensland and Victoria.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its the problem though now in the 20/20 world. Teams used to come in for their tours and play 2 to 3 full first class games. These days you get a couple of grandfatherly exhibitions if you are lucky. The turgid rubbish of a pitch they got in Blacktown is a case in point. I remember the 93/94 tour, we got paddy-whacked badly in that series, but we played from memory WA, The Chairmans XI, Tasmania, New South Wales, all before the first test. We played SA later on so the only state sides we didn't play were Queensland and Victoria.

Its going to get worse i reckon with fly in and fly out test series of one not too far away if things continue.

Its a huge part of why touring sides suck so much now days. Like outside of the ashes there is very little old school tours as you say. Even ashes series are rushed in comparison to how they were played.

If the kiwis came out for a 5 test series with lengthy warmup games and maybe even short form cricket scattered in between tests it would help touring sides and would create more even series.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
This was a great chance for NZ to beat us in this series

# Our team is crap
# Starc was injured
# Our best players all just retired(Rogers,Clarke,Johnson,Harris)
# We are so crap we have both Marsh boys batting in the top 6

NZ have no excuses,not even that Lyon howler is an excuse,NZ were very disappointing

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think both sides showed they have bright futures.

Lot to like about Warner, Starc and Smith.

Same with Williamson, Southee and Santer.

You can build around that.

undertaker

Coach
LOL @ all the imbeciles on cricinfo having a bitch about the grass on the pitch. No surprise most of them are Indian supporters. They constantly make mention about the highest team score being only 224 (lowest since the famous 1993 test match, which was 252). I guess they would love the 500/600+ scores teams regularly achieve on the flat-tracks that have infamously been dished up for years (inflating players batting averages such as Dhoni and Kohli) before this current India vs South Africa series. Hate to see what these imbeciles would be saying if pitches like the 2011 Hobart test were regularly dished up.

Harden up guys! If players like Border and S Waugh could average 50+ against better bowling lineups (infact, some of the best bowling attacks of all time) and on more bowler-friendly pitches during their era, it all comes back to the poor batting technique in most international players these days that has been a direct by-product of T20 cricket as well as the inability to adapt to varying conditions. The Adelaide pitch offer much more for the bowlers compared to the Brisbane/Perth tests, but it wasn't impossible to score runs on.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How ironic, Indian people complaining about a pitch, wonder if they watched India V. RSA

Iafeta

Referee
LOL @ all the imbeciles on cricinfo having a bitch about the grass on the pitch. No surprise most of them are Indian supporters. They constantly make mention about the highest team score being only 224 (lowest since the famous 1993 test match, which was 252). I guess they would love the 500/600+ scores teams regularly achieve on the flat-tracks that have infamously been dished up for years (inflating players batting averages such as Dhoni and Kohli) before this current India vs South Africa series. Hate to see what these imbeciles would be saying if pitches like the 2011 Hobart test were regularly dished up.

Harden up guys! If players like Border and S Waugh could average 50+ against better bowling lineups (infact, some of the best bowling attacks of all time) and on more bowler-friendly pitches during their era, it all comes back to the poor batting technique in most international players these days that has been a direct by-product of T20 cricket as well as the inability to adapt to varying conditions. The Adelaide pitch offer much more for the bowlers compared to the Brisbane/Perth tests, but it wasn't impossible to score runs on.

100% agree. That was an outstanding test wicket IMO. Bats with ticker like a Border or Stephen Waugh could certainly get runs on that wicket. It gave help at the same time to seam and spin. Even Williamson IMO was exposed as on occasions he plays with half a bat running it late behind point. It was a true test wicket, it tested your mental skill as well as technique. T20 batting styles should not be compatible with test cricket and here it wasn't. Nevill in the first innings player late, straight and with soft hands, and played within a limits shot range, and because of that he survived.

undertaker

Coach
100% agree. That was an outstanding test wicket IMO. Bats with ticker like a Border or Stephen Waugh could certainly get runs on that wicket. It gave help at the same time to seam and spin. Even Williamson IMO was exposed as on occasions he plays with half a bat running it late behind point. It was a true test wicket, it tested your mental skill as well as technique. T20 batting styles should not be compatible with test cricket and here it wasn't. Nevill in the first innings player late, straight and with soft hands, and played within a limits shot range, and because of that he survived.

If you take a look at all of Australia's sub-100 innings over the past few years (since Headingley 2010 vs Pakistan),

88 vs Pakistan, Headingley 2010
98 vs England, Melbourne 2010
47 vs South Africa, Cape Town 2011
60 vs England, Trent Bridge 2015

they all had one thing in common: more than 50% of the Australian dismissals I can directly attribute to poor batting technique and the influence T20 cricket has had on it. Because of the placid nature of pitches in Australia over the last 15 years, batsmen at state level inculcate the habit early in their careers of trying to lunge on their front foot/dangle the bat, and that was brutally exposed when they got bowled out for 60 at Trent Bridge a few months ago, deja vu of Boxing Day 2010 when in overcast conditions, the batsmen didn't play to the conditions and were bowled out for 98. The technique simply doesn't work when you either have a swinging ball, when there's strong seam movement for the bowlers or a combination of both. Test match lost right then and there, and resurrecting McGrath/Lillee/Thomson/Lee in their prime wouldn't have saved them with a paltry total like that. Interestingly though, before Headingley 2010, the previous sub-100 score was 93 vs India at Mumbai 2004 (on a pitch reminiscent of the ones in the current India vs South Africa test, where even Michael Clarke as a part-timer got 6/9) and before Mumbai 2004......Perth 1984 vs West Indies. So, the fact that there has been an increasing number of low team totals over the past few years should be a wake-up call that something hasn't been right.

20yr gap between 1984 and 2004. So, even when we were at our lowest during the Rebel Tour phase of the '85 Ashes-'89 Ashes, we weren't surrendering meekly to sides like we have in recent times

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
How ironic, Indian people complaining about a pitch, wonder if they watched India V. RSA

Made a long rant on this issue in another thread in this post:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=11230701&postcount=39

And also touched on the issue of the 'change' in pitches for the current India/SA series in light of the media attention before the series on the issue of SA remaining unbeaten in India since 2004. Their thrashing in the final ODI at Mumbai is what prompted Ravi Shastri (team director) to doctor the pitches to suit their spinners. As you will see, I don't find it a coincidence at all that the nature of the pitches in this series has been vastly different from the typical high-scoring flat-tracks that have occurred all over India post-2004 Mumbai test. It gets back to the issue of the BCCI trying to dictate to other cricket boards (e.g. what happened here in Australia last summer) what types of pitches should be produced when their country tours there, whilst at the same time doing what they have done in the current series vs South Africa to try and break their 11yr hoodoo against them. Hypocrites to the max.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Indian fans arw just butthurt that the dustbowl they served up got criticised so they are pretending that the adelaide test is comparable.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
When he was explaining his decision he said it could be a "flash" as it was outside the frame and may not have been the ball.

No articles have ever picked up on this including the one above.

I have never heard of this terminology. Anyone know what he was on about ???

Latest posts