What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano

watatank

Coach
Thank f@#k thats now finalised.

However, and I hate throwing a wet blanket on this, but if he was so surely sort after etc, why only a 2yr deal (considering Friz, Vaughan and more recently young Field and Robson). Plus the statement says to the end of 2018, we usually add the rider of at least. Maybe I'm just being picky, seeing it was such a long drawn out saga.

I don't think it's that big a deal. It's pretty standard for young players at this stage of their career and it gives the player and club flexibility. Sharks signed Jack Bird to a two year deal. Gold Coast signed Ash Taylor on a two year deal. So it's not like every highly sought after junior signs 3 year contracts.

Field (19) and Robson (18) are younger and will still be eligible for U20s next year, it's a bit easier to sign a player on a longer deal at that time. Frizell was originally signed as a promising player on a two year contract (later extended, twice). He and Vaughan are older and established players anyway so their situation is different.

Anyway, the important thing is that we have got him now and he wants to stay. Let's hope that continues to be the case and he plays to his potential.

BennyV

Referee

However, and I hate throwing a wet blanket on this, but if he was so surely sort after etc, why only a 2yr deal (considering Friz, Vaughan and more recently young Field and Robson). Plus the statement says to the end of 2018, we usually add the rider of at least. Maybe I'm just being picky, seeing it was such a long drawn out saga.
A 2 year deal is generally the standard for a player coming out of 20s looking to break into NRL. Gives the player enough time to adapt to first grade, while allowing the club enough time to see if theya re capable of making the jump. If not, they are not locked in long term. If they do show promise, the next contract will be a proper, established player contract.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

DS
Probably got to do with his bother being of contract to.
They probably want to play together.
Imo

Gareth67

First Grade
The catch and pass was superb. Something you would expect from Smith or Cronk.

That is it Duck , he possesses that ' knack ' of being able to gather and release the ball in one fluid motion . That is why he reminded me of Artie, who made it his signature piece.

I realise that Luc is a far cry from the great man himself , however I can see many tries being scored from his ability to off-load the ball . We know that there will never be another Arthur Beetson , however should Luc fulfil the potential
that he has shown in the lower grades , then we will have a tremendous ball playing forward that will be the envy of most NRL clubs .

Hopefully he will lose the some of the extra poundage around his middle and make the most of the opportunities that come his way and in so doing , give all Dragon fans something to cheer about for many years to come .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
DP
Big Arty certainly had it all during his long and illustrious career. Quick, step, offload, tough, inspirational, much adored by all and sundry.
I remember when he used to command a fair bit of the space at the front of the bar at the Big House Hotel in the old days.
He was a wonderful character and very generous with it.
Anybody who didn't like Arie was the real pie eater.
He was a good bloke OT. I was lucky to be in his company a couple of times & he was always happy to give advice & play a game of cards.
The best prop I've seen.

getsmarty

Immortal
Millward: Retention Of Leilua
Sat 17th December, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward provides insight into the recent retention of second-rower Luciano Leilua.

The local Hurstville United junior has played five first-grade games to date and agreed to terms on a further two seasons, until at least the end of 2018 on Friday.

Leilua, alongside recently re-signed local juniors Matt Dufty (Penshurst RSL) and Hame Sele (Kingsgrove Colts) as well as Izaac Thompson (Kingsgrove Colts), are all graduates of the Dragons National Youth Competition team in the midst of their first season in the senior squad.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/12/17/millward_recruitment.html

emu62

Juniors
Was my bucks tonight and I met big Luc at the star, apart from being a top bloke he looked like he's dropped a few kegs. I told him all the best for this season go out and jam some Kents,
He smiled and told me "I'm pumped for this season, its my year bro" He's hungry as f**k

Congratulations Coppo

SaintPauli

Juniors
Luc. Your a tank and you can sure run. Just drop about 10kg or so and you will be the dragons next x factor and boy do we need that to show all the critics out there in NRL land that the dragons are better than 15 or 16th in 2017.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Luc. Your a tank and you can sure run. Just drop about 10kg or so and you will be the dragons next x factor and boy do we need that to show all the critics out there in NRL land that the dragons are better than 15 or 16th in 2017.

Pauli
Dont go giving Mary ideas.
He now sitting there going
Jbl at 6 luc at 7 who needs hutch.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Yeah agreed Dragonssamy61 . We still need to resolve and demonstrate a performing spine which is at this point unknown and unproven. The loss of Hutch has been a blow but I hope Nona or Mann can really rally in the trials against tigpies and souths and beyond. Jay needs 1 year in cutters imo.

Latest posts