What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Glenn01

Juniors
Jesus vas. I didn't infer beastiality. What a twisted little mind you must have to come to that conclusion.

Feel free to continue the Nazi bullshit that you began in your previous incarnation. Maybe we can spend some more time on the sidelines together. The forum may or may not miss me, but I'm sure they would consider it an acceptable loss if it meant you were gone for a while too.
Firstly, I am "Glenn01", not "Vas".
Other than that it's an interesting proposal. But BennyV sent me a private message offering up another proposal. That is, I say; "Woffy, you are a very sick person." and then ignore you.

SBD82

Coach
Firstly, I am "Glenn01", not "Vas".
Other than that it's an interesting proposal. But BennyV sent me a private message offering up another proposal. That is, I say; "Woffy, you are a very sick person." and then ignore you.
That's sage advice.

Think you'll take it?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Widdop started well against Tigers in his first season so I would not get to excited. He has to play a few good games to get some credibility back. I would rather re-sign McCrone for 300k than Widdop for 600k or whatever he is demanding on last weekends game. McCrone not only much cheaper but can player hooker.

Crush

Coach
Widdop started well against Tigers in his first season so I would not get to excited. He has to play a few good games to get some credibility back. I would rather re-sign McCrone for 300k than Widdop for 600k or whatever he is demanding on last weekends game. McCrone not only much cheaper but can player hooker.
Widdop is asking for way more than 600k

The Doc

Juniors
Widdop is asking for way more than 600k
If i recall correctly, an article (i know it was in the telecrap) but it stated Widdop and Dugan have the same manager and the manager has asked for over $1mill for each player.
Again, i know its the telecrap.... but just saying what was printed.
Seems steep for Widdop to ask for a Million $$$ based on the last few years performances.

Glenn01

Juniors

Of course I'd prefer he play well and we win but I'm not worried so much whether he plays poorly just as long as that poorly is making mistakes and missing tackles and things like that rather than telegraphing each play 10 meters in front of the opposition defensive line. Alternatively, I hope he does but if he doesn't put in a nice kick or make a nice cover tackle (he won't make a good front on tackle) or be tenacious and capitalize on an enemy mistake but doesn't take the ball to the line like he did for Thommos last try last week, I personally will be dissatisfied.
Ok... if you say so.
I do and I did.......... Is that ok with you?

Crush

Coach
If i recall correctly, an article (i know it was in the telecrap) but it stated Widdop and Dugan have the same manager and the manager has asked for over $1mill for each player.
Again, i know its the telecrap.... but just saying what was printed.
Seems steep for Widdop to ask for a Million $$$ based on the last few years performances.
That article is accurate. He knows that he wont get close to that either. Thats what makes me think he wants to leave the club.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
That article is accurate. He knows that he wont get close to that either. Thats what makes me think he wants to leave the club.

Wouldn't you want to 'bail' as a player if Paul McGregor was your coach?

On another note, it's been reported Widdop has had 10 different half partners since joining the club in 2014.

Under those circumstances, I'd say it's understandable he has lost fluency (not to mention confidence) in the past three seasons.

Crush

Coach
Wouldn't you want to 'bail' as a player if Paul McGregor was your coach?

On another note, it's been reported Widdop has had 10 different half partners since joining the club in 2014.

Under those circumstances, I'd say it's understandable he has lost fluency (not to mention confidence) in the past three seasons.
I don't know about the coach thing, other players like frizell and dugan still put in consistent performances under McGregor.
Having 10 different halves pairings may be an excuse for some of his poor form I guess but I think a more confident player would deal with that better perhaps.
Widdop at his best is ok but even at his best he aint great. Watch the way Maloney from sharks plays. He's a much better 5/8. Even young keary for roosters played a game unlike I have ever seen Widdop play this week.
Widdop is ok. I think there are much better options out there though and I wouldn't be upset if he left tomorrow.

ALSGI

Bench
I don't know about the coach thing, other players like frizell and dugan still put in consistent performances under McGregor.
Having 10 different halves pairings may be an excuse for some of his poor form I guess but I think a more confident player would deal with that better perhaps.
Widdop at his best is ok but even at his best he aint great. Watch the way Maloney from sharks plays. He's a much better 5/8. Even young keary for roosters played a game unlike I have ever seen Widdop play this week.
Widdop is ok. I think there are much better options out there though and I wouldn't be upset if he left tomorrow.
Crush
I think Widdop at his best is quiet good rather than ok, but gee he's horrible when he's not at his best. He's a confidence player (like most) and this is reflected in his kicking, both in play and at goal. Don't think he's a marquee player or playmaker. Don't recall him ever lifting the team with a solo performance but on his day when the team's going well around him he's better than ok imo.
Let's hope the team keeps going well for his sake. Would I re-sign him ? Not as a marquee playmaker, but in a team that plays a new brand of 'dragons footy' maybe, let's see how we go by round 13.
I hope they don't offer him an early contract before we see how he fits into the new team.

Old Timer

Coach
Good teams will find a way to counter Keary before too long.
Maloney is also now being countered and if Sharks have a poor year so will Maloney.
The reality is that in respect of halves their is JT and Cronk and a fair margin to the rest.
Some of the rest do great things at times but don't do great things all the time ala DCE who despite his large pay packet is pretty ordinary compared to the 2 greats.
Widdop is part of the pack well behind the 2 best.

Crush

Coach
IMO there are the great halves in JT and Cronk. Then there are the very good halves in Hunt, Maloney, Pearce then there are the rest to which Widdop belongs to. There are also some young up and coming halves that may soon be in that very good category.
Widdop is ok.

Crush

Coach
Crush
I think Widdop at his best is quiet good rather than ok, but gee he's horrible when he's not at his best. He's a confidence player (like most) and this is reflected in his kicking, both in play and at goal. Don't think he's a marquee player or playmaker. Don't recall him ever lifting the team with a solo performance but on his day when the team's going well around him he's better than ok imo.
Let's hope the team keeps going well for his sake. Would I re-sign him ? Not as a marquee playmaker, but in a team that plays a new brand of 'dragons footy' maybe, let's see how we go by round 13.
I hope they don't offer him an early contract before we see how he fits into the new team.
ALSGI, agree. Lets see how the team plays over the next couple of months. We were all calling for Widdop to be dropped only 2 weeks ago.
I hope that he finds his mojo and goes to a new level this year. If so then we should try to keep him but until then I will continue to be a little critical when his manager is asking for 1 million dollars to stay at Dragons.

Glenn01

Juniors
How poor does Blake Green look at Manly? At least he is only supposed to be a good sidekick to DCE rather than the marquee playmaker Widdop is supposed to be at SGI. IMO this is precisely the (main) problem that has afflicted SGI over the last 3 years. It really isn't rocket science. A sidekick for a marquee playmaker usually isn't a good playmaker himself.

But having said that, let's see Widdop prove me wrong. I'm sure BennyV will let me know if I am. Ditto for the trippy old dude if he can lay off illicit substances for an hour or two.

Latest posts